Bed Head

The day after Isabella took a header out of her crib in November, I ordered the toddler rail for her 3-in-1 crib. It took excruciatingly long to come in, and during the interim we lined the floor in front of the crib with pillows lest Evil Knievel decided to take another flying leap.

The rail came in last week, along with the full-size bed rails we ordered at the same time, which we'll use when we're ready to buy her a real mattress. The hubs is off from work this week, so he installed it one morning while a very excited Isabella watched. We had our concerns over how she would react to it. Change and Isabella are not good friends. When I removed the bumpers from her crib because I thought she had used them to boost herself up higher, leading to her fall, she pitched an epic tantrum and refused to go to bed that night until I returned them. Not her "lovey," Charlie. Not her binky. Not her favorite blanket. Her bumpers, people.

But our fears were all for naught. Isabella loves her "big girl bed." She wants to play in it, sleep in it, eat in it, and invite everyone to join her in it. Hello, enormous relief. And other than a small incident the other night where she caught her arm in the slats and couldn't dislodge it and to which she alerted me by calling out very softly, "Mommy, I've got a problem here," she has gone to bed without incident. She's even taking more frequent naps!

For me, it's all a bit disconcerting though, because somehow in the span of two years, the baby who used to sleep beside my bed in this


...and who then progressed next door to this...


...is now this happy little girl.


Stop growing, baby. Your mama wants you to stay little for a wee bit longer.

11 Responses to “Bed Head”

  1. # Blogger Shannon

    Lore hated it when we turned her crib into her toddler bed... but then we figured it out why... she would fall out of bed... but we couldn't find rails to fit her toddler bed... but that is why she slept in the closet lol... but now her matress is just on the floor... she loves it... because we can lay down beside her and read her books... she always wants us to stay and sleep with her lol...  

  2. # Blogger MsPrufrock

    I was very skeptical about putting P in a bed, and convinced it wasn't going to work. Lo and behold, she really likes it.

    I found putting her in it from the whole where-has-my-baby-gone perspective. I took about 15 pictures of her that first day with the bed. Yes, I'm that lame!  

  3. # Blogger My Wombinations

    I got a little teary at this. We are about to do it. How did they grow so fast?  

  4. # Blogger Chastity

    LG didn't last too long in her toddler bed. She was so amazed by it for a little while, but eventually it just seemed too small (amazing isn't it that our tiny babies suddenly become too small for their big bed!). We moved her into a full sized bed back in September, and she looked so tiny in that huge bed. She still loves it though, and I've been so grateful to have it over the past few months. This way when the babies are especially annoying at night...I can just go hope in bed with her and snuggle...remind myself that this early baby stage is fleeting and one day they'll be just as big as her :).  

  5. # Blogger Mom24

    I'm glad she's enjoying it. One thing I've learned from being a mom--our kids love to keep us guessing. :) Another thing? They grow way too fast!  

  6. # Anonymous Anonymous

    ISn't it HORRIFYING how fast they grow? I took a look at my 10 (nearly 11) month old baby (NEWBORN, HE'S STILL A NEWBORN RIGHT!!!!???) and realised, holy cow, he is ONE YEAR OLD in a matter of 40 or so DAYS. If only there was a pause button, oh and maybe volume control some days!  

  7. # Blogger Jesser

    Your making my overly hormonal pregnant ass completely misty right now!! GAH! It does go by WAY too fast. But you can be proud of how well she's growing up, right? ;)  

  8. # Blogger Damselfly

    I still am not quite sure how it's possible for kids to grow so quickly.

    Glad Isabella is happy with her new bed!  

  9. # Anonymous Anonymous

    My kids are a little "different," I guess. They couldn't wait to kiss the crib goodbye. Each of them had a twin-sized bed before their second birthday. The day we set up Jacob's bed, he fell off of it (while jumping on it - big surprise!) and got a fat lip. I never could get over just how *small* they looked, though.

    I'm so happy to hear Isabella likes her new bed!  

  10. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    So glad she likes her big girl bed. I have heard nothing but horror stories about the transition. This gives me hope!  

  11. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    They just keep on growing faster and faster. It really is infuriating!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly