Luci and Nicholas at Five Months (*updated)

The nocutural duo turns five months old today. Sleep issues aside, I've noticed a general mellowing-out going on in the last month. They are still colicky. There's no doubt about that. They still cry a lot. But they're also a lot more expressive, fun, and pleasant to be around. I'm able to say this now because they're both sleeping soundly and have been for more than one hour (a rarity in the evenings). Talk to me this morning, and I may give you a totally different assessment of their personalities.

Nicholas has turned into the napper baby I've always wanted but thought I'd never have. Isabella is in the process of ditching her afternoon nap, and I'm in mourning, but the little man is known to take a two-hour nap in the morning and one in the afternoon too. This is probably attributed to the fact that he's up all night long, but at this point, I'll take it! Luci is still my sleep striker, although she's improving as well. Of course, they nap in their swings and I have no clue how to get them to sleep in their cribs, which they appear to hate. In the past two weeks, I've fought like hell to get them on a napping schedule (9am and 1pm) because mama needs that 1pm break with all the kids sleeping like she needs carbohydrates and strong coffee. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but this is another improvement over last month.

I've started to give them more tummy time, which I've avoided because like their big sister did, Luci and Nicholas screech like howler monkeys when placed on their bellies. They aren't rolling over yet, but they're close*.

Other than church a handful of times and my aunt's house for Sunday dinner, the twins don't get out much. The weather here is still awful, and although I have taken them for walks a few times, they pretty much live like cloistered nuns. Last weekend, though, we took all three kids and the monstrosity of a stroller to the mall because Isabella needed new shoes. We received the requisite stares, the "are they twins?" comments (Actually, no. They are two same-age babies we found on our front porch one morning), and plenty of "Whoooo, Boy! Do you have your hands full or what?"s. Here's something that apparently most of the world already knew, but that was news to me until I experienced it: twins get a lot of attention. I'm not sure I like it.

Their favorite person in the house is, without a doubt, Isabella. They simply light up when she pays attention to them, and when she isn't trying to squeeze their heads like melons, she appears to really love them too.

When I look back in this blog and read about what Isabella was achieving at five months, it's clear to me that the twins are lagging behind. I know they're preemies, and their pediatrician says that they may achieve milestones six weeks behind a same-age, full-term baby, but this concerns me. Why does it matter when they roll over or grab their toes or sit up as long as they eventually do? I'm not sure. But this is probably something I need to get used to. They were early and there's nothing I can do about that.

And in case you're wondering, I'm still exclusively nursing. Thank you, once again, for pumping me up (ha!) and supporting me. Last week was bad. Very, very bad. And your comments made a horrible week bearable for me.

Time for some cuteness.





That's exhaustion, and not heavy black eyeliner, under my eyes. Focus just below my chin. It's much, much cuter down there.
*Nicholas rolled over (tummy to back) for the first time today!

14 Responses to “Luci and Nicholas at Five Months (*updated)”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Great post, Kristi!

    Even slow progress is still progress, but it's great to hear that they're starting to give you a reprieve once in awhile. And hey - it's supposed to be nice today! Go take a walk!  

  2. # Blogger My Wombinations

    those are some cutie pie twins. No doubt about that.

    Hang in there, lady. You sound like you are making progress and I think after 6 months, things will really start to ease up. I know they did for me.

    As for those milestones, I know it is hard not to compare, but remember: they were preemies and they are different kids than Isabella. Sam walked at 14.5 months and while I was sweating bullets at the time, it has made no difference in her intelligence later. My point? They will be just as smart as their sister even if they take a while hitting their physical milestones.  

  3. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    I've said it before: you make some gorgeous children, Kristi. TRULY.

    Hey, 5 months! Remember when they were like, 5 weeks and you couldn't imagine the spring or summer? And now, spring is just around the corner and they're slowly but surely sleeping a bit better and you're able to go out a few times. See? You have come a long way, and this summer will only be tons of more milestones for your family.  

  4. # Blogger Chastity

    My goodness, they're beautiful! For some reason, I've been thinking they were further behind my girls (in age). I guess it's only a two week difference. We really do need to compare notes more often to make us BOTH feel better!  

  5. # Blogger M

    Wow! Can't believe how much Luci looks like Isabella. :)
    God bless swings. Just remember, the won't be 1 year old and still sleeping in a swing. Madelyn had a crib strike until she turned 6 months old. I'm glad we did whatever it took for us all to get some sleep. Regardless of what the pedi said- she didn't have a flat spot on her head, she didn't lag behind in motor skills, she didn't roll any later, etc. etc.  

  6. # Blogger In transit

    Cute cute cute! What beautiful smiles - including yours Kristi!
    Happy 5 months Luci and Nicholas - how about you both practice some sleep in time for the 6 month post for your mumma?  

  7. # Blogger In Due Time

    I still wish I lived closer so I could come help you out! Hopefully you will get some real sleep one of these days lol Hang in there.  

  8. # Blogger Mom24

    They are just adorable. I love this post. It seems like such a milestone. Hope you start getting sleep soon.  

  9. # Blogger Christine

    Kristi, they are so so cute.

    I'm glad you're still able to exclusively breastfeed them since it is important to you. It is no doubt a giant task, especially as they get bigger.

    I bet/hope that the six month update shows as much progress.  

  10. # Blogger Jesser

    Dang they're cute! Glad they're taking it a bit easier on you!!  

  11. # Blogger kenju

    They are precious and cute and so is Isabella. Someday you'll look back on this time and laugh.

    I know all about people making inane comments to parents of twins. My daughter got to the point that she wouldn't take them anywhere because of it. And she made her dad promise not to stop people with twins in the mall to tell them about ours! LOL
    (he still does it anyway, and our twins are 13!)  

  12. # Blogger Marie

    They're such sweeties!

    Go Mom!! You're doing an awesome job.

    I'm guilty of gawking at twins in public. But then I gawk at any baby. It's just twice the cuteness with twins!  

  13. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    Those pictures are great! I also hate the crazy comments that people just feel they have to say. I think some people just can't go too long without hearing their own voices.  

  14. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Happy 5 months to your babies, things will just get better remember that.

    Yah on the rolling, i think even alot of full term babies at this are are not doing that. A few on a birth group im on with Ru are only starting and they are 6 months now  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly