The Final Glimpse Behind the Curtain

I'm kidding of course, because God knows I lay it pretty much all out here on the Internet at least a few times a week.

But, for your reading pleasure, here are the last few questions posed by you, my fabulous readers, on my Blogaversary post.

Pru asked what I would do with 48 hours to myself. Holy hell. Where do I even begin with this one?

Sans kid and sans husband, I would most likely stay in bed until 8am, get up, drink a pot of fully caffeinated coffee (hey, 48 hours to myself is a fantasy, so in this fantasy, I'm not knocked up and humongous. Am slim and svelte and need caffeine to function) whilst reading the entire newspaper in absolute silence without being bothered by a certain someone climbing up my leg and begging for my cereal.

After that, I would shower, pack up my laptop and some books, and hit the local bookstore for several uninterrupted hours of book browsing and buying (you know, so I can add to this stack, which has sat virtually untouched for 14 months ), followed by a few hours of surfing. On the way home, I'd treat myself to a Caramel Macchiato. I would return to my blissfully quiet house, take a few hours to load new music on my iPod, go for a run, read for awhile, take a long bath, and then watch a movie on DVD. Or a DVR-ed episode of Big Brother (is anyone out there as thrilled as I am that Jessie is gone?). The next day, I might catch up on some boring household stuff that I just don't have time to do now, and then bake a cake and eat the entire thing myself. I would pick up a long-neglected knitting project, and I would spend a few hours working on query letter for a feature I'd love to write, but just don't have the time to devote to it.

48 hours alone would be incredible. A dream, really. But truth be told, I would miss Isabella a lot. I've only ever been separated from her for about 28 hours (back in April when we went to Toronto), and even that was hard (I know, I'm ridiculous).

M asked some really interesting questions.

First, she asked about something I said I would never do with my kid, and then I did it.

Before Isabella was born, I vowed she wouldn't watch tv before she was two years old, and after that, in only limited amounts. Battling infertility for two years left me plenty of time to beg, plead, and bargain with God about the truly fabulous and completely self-sacrificing mother I would be if someone up there would only send me a baby. For some reason, I thought being a good mother meant eschewing tv as if letting her watch a little tube was akin to feeding my dear sweet baby rat poison.

I actually stuck to this bargain with the almighty for over a year, and then the hubs introduced her to Sesame Street. She doesn't watch tv every day, and she only watches Sesame Street (only the monster? muppet? puppet? segments interest her) and Clifford, a recent edition, but I will admit to parking her in front of the tv for 30 minutes of uninterrupted couch time because I am oh-so-very-tired lately, and spending 12+ hours alone with a toddler while pregnant is really, really hard.

Then, she asked about my husband's most annoying habit.

Without a doubt, the hubs' most annoying habit is using something, and then not putting it back in its rightful place. I am not a neat-freak. There's enough cat hair on my floors to make a sweater for Isabella and I haven't dusted since 1998. But I absolutely hate going to look for something that should be located in a certain place and not finding it because the hubs either a) never put it away after he was done using it (meaning the screwdriver is still sitting on the counter or the nail clippers are on the bathroom counter) or b) decided to stick it somewhere else-likely a location nearer to where he happened to be standing at the time it was last in his hands.

Next, M asked about which actor I drool over.

Oh Jake Gyllenhaal, I do love you. The piercing blue eyes. The hot bod. The sexy smile. What's not to love? Jake, when you're done with Reese, call me.



Finally, she asked about the one thing I cannot live without, regardless of how tight my budget gets.

These two tie: High-speed Wi-Fi and DVR

Thanks to everyone who asked a question. I think my answers qualify me for Barbara's 10 Most Fascinating People of 2009 special, don't you?

***********************************************************************
I loved reading all the intelligently written and widely divergent comments on my last post. While some of you think that being a stay-at-home wife is a potentially awesome and fulfilling life for a woman, others would be driven ape-shit, up-the-wall crazy at the mere thought of it. I'm still firmly on Team Ape-Shit, but debates like these make me thoughtfully consider the other side of some interesting issues. And that, my friends, is why I love blogging. So, thank you for responding!

7 Responses to “The Final Glimpse Behind the Curtain”

  1. # Blogger M

    Thanks for answering my questions! I've been dying to read your answers! :) I'm guilty of the tv thing too. Eeks!
    And.. I'm in awe of the time you wrote your post. What time is Isabella get up in the mornings?  

  2. # Blogger Mom24

    Awesome! Thanks for the glimpse. It's really interesting. I totally agree about the things I don't want to live without no matter what the budget. I struggle with this one. I keep telling myself I should just cancel cable and slow down the internet, but then I try to convince myself it wouldn't save THAT much. I just don't want to give it up

    I say don't sweat the tv. I think as long as it's in moderation, the programs are appropriate, and at you're at least nearby...not a big deal. You can't be Mary Poppins all the time!

    The bookstore is always my favorite place to be by myself. Not that that's ever happened, but it sounds like it would be heaven!  

  3. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    Couldn't live without the computer and coffee...  

  4. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    Great answers! For the past two days we've gone without naptime, and I think that's something I don't want to live without. (We're on a mini-vacation, so I'm hoping it's just the change of scenery!)  

  5. # Blogger Chastity

    Oh how happy I was to see Jesse go home!! I don't think I could stand another day of him. Actually though, they kind of all annoy me this season...Keisha, Libra, April, Jerry, Michelle (especially her..ugg). Who does that even leave??  

  6. # Blogger Sarah P.

    I am thrilled that Jessie is gone! I agree with sugar and ice, though, that they all get on my nerves this season.  

  7. # Blogger Damselfly

    Your dream 48 hours is almost exactly like mine! But, see, I wouldn't go for a run.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly