Isabella at 23 months

Isabella turns 23 months old today. In just one more month, my little baby, you know, this one


turns two years old. Birthday preparations are in full swing. We're having another large family gathering (with just a few friends thrown in) at my grandma's house because our own is in no way large enough to accomodate the over 40 people attending. The theme this year is Sesame Street, with which Isabella is obsessed. It's the only tv show she watches (and really, only the puppet segments interest her) but she loves the characters more than she loves her parents. That much, I know.

Isabella has been working on her vocal stylings over the past month. Girlfriend loves to sing and knows almost all the words to "Five Little Monkeys," "Ring Around the Rosey" (or, as she calls it "Ringa Rosey"), "Itsy-Bitsy Spider," and the chorus to Mika's "Grace Kelly." Have I mentioned she also has a small Mika obsession? I'm a fan of the song, and made the mistake of showing her the video on YouTube a few months ago. Now, she asks me 400 times a day to "watch Mika."

Her vocabulary continues to amaze me. Trust me when I tell you that I am not a smug mommy (which I realize is exactly how announcing that your kid talks well sounds). But we get a lot of comments about "how well she talks." My personal theory is that all kids develop differently. Isabella is a talker, while other kids are far more adventurous, or more willing to try new things, or eat a much wider variety of foods than she does. Or they have a much more laidback personality than she does.

This month, my grandma had knee surgery, so Isabella would compassionately ask her each time she saw her, "How your boo-boo is?"

Righteous indignation also made its debut this month, as she started announcing, "Mommy took my spoon/rock/Red Bull and vodka AWAY!"

She's also started thanking me for making her meals, which I must say I'm a big fan of. Just the other day, she said, "Thank you for cooking my ronis (macaroni), mommy."

And she's begun exclaiming, "Oh My Goodness!" (I have no idea where she picked this up. Neither the hubs nor I use this expression.)

She loves playing outside, taking her pull toys, wagon, and stroller for walks, and crayoning. She always wants me to crayon with her and assigns me impossible objects to draw, such as elephants and Elmo. Oh, and I'm also only allowed to crayon on specified pages of her sketch books. If I dare color on "her" page, all hell breaks loose.

Her shining moment (and mine) this past month happened about a week ago. She was in her crib playing while I was in the bathroom down the hall getting myself ready for us to head to the library. I knocked my coffee cup against the faucet, spilling the white-hot contents everywhere. I yelled, "Oh f--k!" Can you guess what two words came cascading down the hallway for the next five minutes? Yeah, well, before you throw stones, it's only three more years 'til she hears it on the bus anyway.

She's still going through the same bedtime issues as she was last month. It's not pleasant for either of us.

Despite her few issues and my numerous ones, I am in awe of the little person she's become. And as much as I'm anxious for her to group up in certain ways, a very big part of me wants to keep her a baby forever.

Current Likes: Trying on shoes (a girl after her Auntie Karrie's own heart), hiding, The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Current Dislikes: Bedtime

11 Responses to “Isabella at 23 months”

  1. # Blogger Jeni

    One more month until the big two, amazing! She is such a cutie pie:)  

  2. # Blogger Marie

    Such a pretty girl! Can't believe she's going on 2!  

  3. # Blogger sashabro

    Time seriously flies. I cannot believe little Isabella is almost TWO YEARS OLD. I remember being a lurker and crying over her birth. What an amazing two years it has been.

    On another note, you dress her so well! I feel like Sam always looks like a ragamuffin.  

  4. # Blogger Gal on the Go

    Time does fly. I can't believe that tiny little baby is now such a big girl! She's beautiful Kristi. I hope you're doing well.  

  5. # Blogger Jesser

    The before and after of two years just makes me all misty-eyed. She is such a cutie and she sounds like a real "personality plus" as my mom would say. :) You have every right to be very very proud!!  

  6. # Blogger Mom24

    So adorable! Her talking is too cute! My youngest wasn't talking at 2, and I'm a little sad that we missed all the cute little talk. I am so sorry about the sleep issues. The only advice I have is that you should know that many, many parents go through it. My oldest slept through the night at 6 weeks until he was 6 months, and then didn't again until he was 3 and a half. I know we did things that made it much worse, but honestly? I think I could have been Super Nanny and he still wouldn't have slept. I think a lot of it is just who they are. Still, it's horrible to hear your child cry, and I hope it ends soon.  

  7. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    So cute! I love her phrases, especially the boo-boo one. The Sesame Street party sounds wonderful!  

  8. # Blogger Damselfly

    ...and she's pretty in pink, to boot.

    I continue to be impressed with Isabella's language skills!  

  9. # Anonymous Anonymous

    We are HUGE Mika fans!!!

    You all seriously know how to party! Although, I have to admit Bridget's was a blast this year, as it coincided with our 4th of July celebration at my aunt's house. I just pretended our entire extended family was there specifically to celebrate her birth. (now that's smug!)

    I love that picture of the two of you - so sweet!! We'll have to try our hardest to make it up to see you. I have a feeling Bridget and Isabella would be two peas in a pod - LOL!  

  10. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I love reading about your almost two year old and all the fun things that she is doing. Makes me really miss those years with mine. :(  

  11. # Blogger Shannon

    I can't imagine Lore and her hanging out together... Lore would teach all the naughty physical things she does... and Isabella could teach her words lol... but Lore starting go OMG... yep I say it... and now she does... oh well... glad I spent that last 2 years cutting out the cussing lol...  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly