Too Much is Never Enough

Between working my full-time job, doing some freelance writing work, taking care of Isabella, and attempting to keep at a modest level the dust bunnies-to-human-beings ratio in my house, I have very little free time. When she naps (and I use that term loosely), I'm working. When she's playing, I am, at times, working. When she goes to bed for the night, I shovel in some dinner, and then I'm working again. I usually allow myself an hour in front of the tv (and it's becoming less and less important what's actually on the tv, since I'm rarely focused enough to care) so I can relax and try to allow my brain to let go of the myriad things I have to do the following day before I go to sleep for the night.

And then, of course, it's lather, rinse, repeat the following day.

This is what makes my dirty little secret completely non-sensical. Even if I had this mysterious and elusive "free time" I hear others talk about in exuberant terms, my compulsion wouldn't make any more sense.

I hoard books.

This is the stack of books I have in my closet, all of which I've purchased with Barnes and Noble gift cards my friends and relatives consistently give me for my birthday and Christmas.


This stack has remained intact and largely untouched for months. There are books in it that I purchased before Isabella was born. Almost 10 months ago. Yet this fact doesn't preclude me from adding to it. Repeatedly. And most recently, yesterday afternoon.

I went to Barnes and Noble to order a textbook my husband needs for one of his summer classes. I came out with seven more books. Seven. More. Books.

Here they are.


Lest you think the madness* stops here, in the interest of full disclosure, you should know that I also check books out of the library. However, these books I limit to subject matters of dire importance. I figure Isabella's pediatrician would frown upon a diet that consists of Lean Cuisine, some leftover bread from Sunday dinner at her aunt's house, and a handful of Splenda packets from mommy's latest stop at Dunkin Donuts.

Clearly, I'm holding fast to some sort of "freetime fantasy" whereby one morning I'll wake up with zero responsibilities, with nothing to do all day but lie in bed eating Doritos, pick at my cuticles, and read.

There has to be a retirement home out there willing to throw open its doors for a burned-out 31 year-old, right?

*A few weeks back Sasha over at My Wombinations tagged me for the "Eight Random Things About Me" meme. It sounded familair, and in searching my archives, I realized I had completed a "Six Weird Things About Me" meme back in January. In my case, the random and the weird are one and the same (and I probably could fill a book with more), so if you're curious as to my answers, you can check them out here.

9 Responses to “Too Much is Never Enough”

  1. # Blogger M

    I see a lot of Jodi Picoult books. I love her! I keep meaning to read some of her books as well as a bunch of others...but again- lack of time prevents me. By the end of the day I collapse from exhaustion..so who has time to read??  

  2. # Blogger Marie

    I have a very large TBR pile too. And that doesn't stop me from accumulating more. Sigh... (I have The Time Traveler's Wife in my pile too!) I'm not familiar with the concept of free time either.  

  3. # Blogger My Wombinations

    sorry for the double tag! I, too, am familiar with that pile o' books and hey, if you want suggestions for your pile, I have plenty:)  

  4. # Blogger kenju

    You may not have time to read now, but someday you will be very glad you already have those books waiting for you!  

  5. # Blogger Ramona

    I am going to have to check out Jodi Picoult, don't think I know her. I'm reading Middlesex right now, it is Fab-u-lous! (In case you feel the need to continue adding to your pile...)  

  6. # Blogger Shannon

    don't feel bad I have lots of books to read also... hehehe...  

  7. # Blogger Rick Rockhill

    I love to read..its such an esacpe. having a pile of books always makes me feel like I have so much to do also. Its a challenge I giv emyself to get through them...even if it takes forever, it forces me to do something for myself.  

  8. # Blogger Kris

    I am in the middle of Tenth Circle... I can't put it down. My hubby made fun of me, because I picked it up in the airport while he went for food, just to squeeze in a few more lines. Do you know how hard it is to be obsessed with a book with a baby??? Somehow I'm guessing the answer is yes! =)  

  9. # Blogger Kristi

    M-I love Jodi Picoult. Can't wait to read her latest, Nineteen Seconds, but I think it's going to be something like two years before I do.

    Marie-Free time means what, exactly? ;)

    Sasha-Send the suggestions my way. I'm all for collecting more books!

    Kenju-I know. But by that time, we're likely going to need a new house because the books I've amassed will have taken over!

    Ramona-Definitely check out Picoult. I really think you'll like her. And I've heard great things about Middlesex. Make sure you do a review for your blog.

    Shannon-seems like a lot of bibliophiles read here!

    Palm Springs Savant- I know exactly what you mean. I need the find time for "me" somewhere in the 24 hours we're given each day. And thanks for stopping by!

    Kris-Oh yes, I am well-acquainted with that problem!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly