Back

Toronto was wonderful. Having only myself to look after (which is a big enough job all in itself) for over 24 hours was delightful. Sleeping in (until 7:30) was fabulous. Having a 22-gauge needle-free ass on Sunday morning was a joy. Dirty Dancing was incredible.

Leaving my baby, though? Not so great.

I dissolved into a full-on blubbering, hormonal mess as we were leaving on Saturday morning. Isabella was all-too-happy to see us leave, waving and smiling, and thrilled to have the undivided attention of my mom, as she always is. She wasn't sad or clinging to me or confused about what was happening.

However, from my reaction to leaving, you would have thought we were about to set sail around the world. I hadn't been apart from Isabella for more than six hours since the day she was born. I had put her to bed almost every night of her 20-month-old life. I didn't think I would react so emotionally, but I did. About 30 minutes into the drive, I regained my composure when I realized I didn't have to wipe a dirty butt, pick up thrown food from the floor, or read Toes, Ears, and Nose! for a whole day.

On our way to Toronto, we stopped at the IKEA in Burlington, Ontario (the closest one to us, unfortunately) because my mom had given me a gift certificate for my birthday so we could find some sort of storage device for all of Isabella's toys currently splayed out all over our living room.


We hit the "As Is" section of the store first, and we were thrilled to find exactly what we were looking for: a white cabinet with eight different sections, which fit the baskets I found elsewhere in the store perfectly. Best of all, it was 40% off because it has a few tiny scratches on it. So we paid $54.00 for it, plus the cost of the baskets. I haven't stashed her toys inside yet, but I can't wait to get everything off the floor. I also bought a small bookshelf and some office storage supplies for myself.


We hit a slight snafu when the cashier told us that my gift certificate was only good for IKEAs in the United States. What? Seriously? But I looked on the back of the card, and there it was, in plain English. This makes no sense to me (a gift card is a gift card, right?), so I guess I'll have to use it online instead, since I think the next closest one to us is in Pittsburgh.

Once we arrived in Toronto (such a hip city), we checked into the hotel, relaxed for a bit, and then went to Alice Fazooli's, a really nice Italian restaurant, for dinner, where the hubs consumed a Red Bull-vodka tonic, which I was told tasted exactly like a Smartie. Yum?

Then, we went to Dirty Dancing, which was awesome. The actor cast as "Baby" was phenomenal-the perfect mix of shy dork and willful teenager. The actor cast as "Johnny," while nice to look at and an incredible dancer, was a little flat. For me, it was hard to see why Baby would fall for him, while in the movie, Patrick Swayze oozed coolness and sexuality. That said, the music was incredible, as was the dancing, and the audience was totally into it, which made for a fun night. We went back to the hotel, watched Flip That House, and crashed. The next morning, we went to breakfast and headed home.

According to mamacita, Isabella did great while we were gone, and while she asked for us at times, she never cried. My little motor-mouth did sell my mom up the river, though, when I asked her what she and "grammy" did while mommy and daddy were away. She looked at me and whispered, "Watch Elmo!" and "Cookies on couch." So that's what you did while mommy was away, eh?

And now it's back to reality, to laundry and dirty dishes and impending deadlines. I missed my girl so much, but this trip to Toronto also made me miss pre-baby, travel-packed life we led before becoming parents. But it's also a huge comfort to know that I can leave Isabella with my mom again in the future and not have to spend even one second worrying about how she's doing. For that, I am really grateful.

13 Responses to “Back”

  1. # Blogger Tiki, Kirby, and StanLee

    There is a brand new IKEA near Cincinnati, Ohio. Don't know if thats any closer, but FWIW.

    Glad you had fun!  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    The first time I left Hannah was when I went to the hospital to have Jacob, so I totally understand about the hormonal blubbering mess! But like you said, now you know you can leave Isabella and that she'll be in good hands.

    Love that storage unit! I need at least three of those around here!  

  3. # Blogger Mom24

    I am glad you had a good time. I was thinking of you. OK, jealous thoughts, but still! lol. When my husband and I went on a cruise in January, the first time we had left the kids longer than 2 days, and only the 3rd time we had left them at all, in 24 years!, I completely freaked out when the ship pulled away from shore. I cried and cried and cried. I felt really bad for my hubby, but I couldn't help it. Fortunately, after a rough start, we had a great time.

    It's terrific that you had a great trip. Now, you have to do it as much as your Mom and your budget will allow! You don't ever want it to be the end of the world (like it is for my youngest!) when you do go away.

    The cabinet looks really cool. What a bargain too! That's great.

    BTW--I love Flip that House!  

  4. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    Oh, what fun! I'm so glad you had a great time. It's only natural to be sad when you leave your kids, especially when they're little and ESPECIALLY when you're pregnant!  

  5. # Blogger Marie

    Sounds great. Your mom will probably be itching for another one of those visits! So of course you'll have to oblige her... ;-) before #2 arrives!

    Love that IKEA setup!  

  6. # Blogger Shannon

    aww... you need to come to see me and check out the IKEA by us... we have 2... hehehe... we have that same storage shelf thinging in that size and the bigger one... LOVE THEM!!

    And I must be a horrible mom because I love being able to leave Lorelei lol...  

  7. # Blogger Jesser

    I'm so great you had such a fab time. I've heard Toronto is a great city. So glad you liked Dirty Dancing... I'll have to put it on my list. And I love your choice at IKEA. That will be such a great thing for her toys.

    I love that you copped to the crying when you left Isabella too! I have only left T once overnight (just across town) and I darned near drove to my parents' house in the middle of the night to get her. Makes me feel a little less pathetic.  

  8. # Blogger beagle

    Glad you had a good time. Love the storage unit!  

  9. # Blogger My Wombinations

    glad it was so fun and I love that storage unit. Come to the Boston Ikea!  

  10. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Of course, you're pregnant--I think you're entitled to a little more emotion the first time away, even if it took you off-guard.

    I bet your mom loved it as much as you, though. :)  

  11. # Blogger Christine

    I doubt Philly is any closer to you than Pittsburgh, but we have better food! And two IKEAs! One in the city and one in Conshohocken twenty minutes away!

    Glad you and Isabella enjoyed the weekend!  

  12. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    I'm glad you had such a great time. I'm sure I will be a complete wreck the first time we leave Little Elvis for a trip.  

  13. # Anonymous Anonymous

    It sounds like an amazing trip, its great you got to get away for a few days.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly