Halftime

I can't believe I'm more than halfway through my pregnancy already.

At my most recent appointment, my doctor told me she would have the date of my scheduled c-section (planned for 1-2 weeks prior to my due date) in the next few weeks. She says her plan for me is to last until 38 or 39 weeks, but that obviously twins sometimes have other plans. My doctor is also going to be out of the office having and recovering from surgery for three weeks from the end of September to mid-October. That makes me nervous, because she really wants to be the one to do my surgery, since she did my c-section with Isabella and in her words, she "knows that we're dealing with in there." (I had four abdominal surgeries when I was ten, hence the reason I'm having my second scheduled c-section, and she knows where the scar tissue is and isn't within my abdomen.) But obviously, I'm hoping to last as long as possible, so hopefully her surgery won't be an issue.

In the last week, I've started feeling big. Of course, I've looked pregnant for awhile, but I'm really feeling it now, whereas with my first pregnancy, I really didn't feel it until well into the 3rd trimester. I have gained 20 pounds. 20 pounds. I am 20 weeks pregnant. Total weight gained in my first pregnancy? 28. Oh well. Pass the ice cream.

I've been expericing some wicked sciatic nerve pain down my right leg, which is exacerbated each time I pick up Isabella. I had this the first time around too, but again, not until much later on.

I have so much to research, plan, and buy in the next few months. I haven't made any decisions. I haven't bought a thing, although a wonderful friend gave me her son's bassinet. When the receptionist at my doctor's office handed me an envelope of paperwork to fill out and mail in to the hospital at my appointment last week, I promptly broke out in a cold sweat and stuffed it in my purse, unopened. I know I have plenty of time, but the combination of the babies potentially arriving early and my Type A personality have made a mild panic set in.

My mom was here for an extended visit and last week we did do a little baby browsing. I saw coordinating crib bedding sets for the twins' nursery that I really love. I like this for the girl and this for the boy. I've also begun the arduous search for a double stroller with a toddler seat (or ability to accommodate a toddler seat). My limited research has turned up these two as the top contenders. A stroller is hugely important to me this time around where it wasn't really before because it's the key to my mobility. No stroller means no escape from the house. And while the twins will (hopefully) be born in November and it will be cold here, I desperately need to be able to take walks and not be trapped inside. Trapped Kristi = potential PPD=bad. Very, very bad.

Now, please tell me if I'm crazy. Most of my relatives seem to think that it's odd that I want the twins' nursery completely set up prior to their birth. They seem to think that since the babies will be sleeping in bassinets in my bedroom for the first few months of their lives (as Isabella did to make middle-of-the-night nursing easier) there is no need to even have cribs bought, much less the room painted before they get here. Strangely enough, no one thought it odd when I wanted Isabella's room done prior to her arrival, but this time around, apparently I should be content to keep the room as a guest room until the babies are four months old.

Obviously, this ain't happening. I am way too tightly wound to deal with crib assembly, changing table supplies, and furniture organization when I won't even be able to tell you which end is up in the first few months of the twins' lives. We're not in the financial position to deck out another nursery like the one we did for Isabella, but is it unreasonable to expect that the room that currently houses a double-bed, two storage tubs of Isabella's outgrown clothes, and half my husband's wardrobe in the closet is at least minimally capable of housing two infants who may or may not enjoy bassinet-sleeping?

End of gripe.

I need to make a list (perhaps I will bore you to tears and do it here) of all the things I need to accomplish in the next few months to get ready for these babies.

Because ready or not, they're coming. One of these days, I'll actually get around to realizing this fact.

20 Responses to “Halftime”

  1. # Blogger M

    LOVE LOVE LOVE the bedding. Can't believe you are halfway through already...though if the babes are coming a little early...you are a little past half way then. Not to make any more nervous....lol.
    I would definitely set up the nursery. That's going to be the last thing you want to do after they are here.  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    *Of course* you should have the nursery all set up before! I was exactly the same. Hubby couldn't understand why I wanted everything done before either - and we had no intention of having either of our babies in our room at all. He just kept putting off cot assembly etc saying 'he could always do it while I was in hospital.' Eventually I got SO pissed off that I just started painting and decorating on my own, accompanied by lots of huffing and puffing and 'ugh-ing' at which point he realised that unless he wanted me to go into labour (I was having planned c-sections too) and have the baby on the floor right there, he'd better step in and help. At least this time around we got things sorted about 3 weeks before the planned c-section date - and frobs above I ended up having the baby 1 week later (2 weeks earlier than scheduled) due to a case of HELLP Syndrome. Thank god we were ready!!  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I TOTALLY agree that you should have the twins' nursery set up before their arrival! Who wants to think about that when you're dealing with 2 newborns. We TYPE As know what we're doing!  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    oh- and the bedding is so cute!!!  

  5. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    Man! Halfway!! I am going to have to save some gas money to come and see those babies. That's one of the problems with the internet: you care about people that live too far away and you may never actually meet them! :(

    I ALWAYS had the nurseries done way early. Who knows what the last few months may bring? And with twins, you have a greater chance of bedrest, early labor, etc. And honestly. We all know that the nursery won't matter as much once the twins are HERE. You have to get it as cute as you can pre-babies cuz it won't get touched or cleaned for about 3 months afterwards! :)

    Hope you're feeling well.  

  6. # Blogger My Wombinations

    Hard to believe you are already halfway there. This is going fast! Rest assured that I have put on 50 pounds in each of my singleton pregnancies and I lost it the first time and am planning to again this time. As far as nurseries, we are far from set up, but if you want to do it, go for it. If it makes you feel more comfortable, you should do it.  

  7. # Blogger Christine

    While the nursery really won't matter so much until later on after the babies have arrived, I would want to get it done earlier too. After they come I can only imagine things getting a bit hectic and it would probably be the last thing you want to worry about.

    In other news, I LOVE your bedding and cannot believe that you're halfway there already. Crazy!  

  8. # Blogger Mel

    Oh good gried - I was setting up nurseries with each of my 3 kids weeks (actually months!) before their actual arrival. And I knew they would be spending their first 4mths in my room. I think its all part of the preparation. Physical action helped me get in touch with what was coming. And lets face it - its damn exciting!  

  9. # Anonymous Anonymous

    That bedding is so cute!

    I would be doing the same thing you are doing. We moved when Brody was 3 months old, so he never slept in his crib, or used his room in any way- and despite knowing that this would be the case, I HAD to set it up and make everything cute and ready while I was pregnant.  

  10. # Blogger Jesser

    Woa. I can't believe it either. Though it always goes a bit faster for people on the outside, I think! I think it's completely reasonable (and smart!) to have the twin's nursery set up before they arrive, no matter where they'll sleep at first (and who knows - maybe your game plan will change!). Like you'll have the time/energy to get a room ready with three kiddos to care for! And the bedding is adorable. Great choice! Good luck with all your prep! Don't forget to toss extra food in the freezer if you can. ;)  

  11. # Blogger Brigid

    OMG, like you are going to have time to paint and organize with a toddler and brand new twins?!? Totally get it done before hand. I gained 55 pound with my first baby, and there was just one!  

  12. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    I think it makes complete sense to have the twins' room ready. I can't imagine trying to set up a nursery with a toddler and two babies around.
    The time really does seem to be flying.  

  13. # Blogger Mom24

    I love going through this vicariously with you. I gained a pound a week with DD #2, and only got one baby out of it. I think you're doing GREAT! The bedding is amazing. I can't believe how wonderful they are. Love the color combinations. It would definitely be important to me to have the room set up prior to the "big event". One of my favorite pregnancy memories is going into my babies-to-be rooms, looking at their "stuff", and rocking and dreaming about what they would be like. Plus, it just gives peace of mind.

    I like both strollers too. Wow they're expensive! My assvice? Don't skimp--buy the best stroller you can, with all the bells and whistles you want. It's not something you'll buy again if you can help it, and you already know it will make a big difference to your mental health if you can get out and about easily.

    Happy halfway!  

  14. # Blogger Gal on the Go

    Happy halfway mark! Well done. I can't believe how quickly the time is going for you! And you know there is nothing wrong with being proactive. Better to get everything done ahead of time, that way when the babies come you only have to worry about taking care of them and yourself and it will be a much easier transition. I hope you're doing well!  

  15. # Blogger Damselfly

    Ooh, aah! I insisted that Fly's room be set up before he arrived. It works well because after the baby (in your case, of course, *twins!*), you don't have as much time for decorating.

    I can't believe you're halfway!  

  16. # Blogger Hopeful Mother

    Congratulations on the halfway point. I definitely think you are NOT crazy for wanting the nursery done before the babies come. I was insisting that we have ours done before I hit 30 weeks, and I felt so much better having that done...  

  17. # Blogger Shannon

    I love the bedding as well... very cute and cheerful! And I think you would be crazy to wait until after the babies come to do the nursery... they might come sooner than you think and I know you will feel much better having that done... and put those relatives to work painting that room lol... whip them into working for ya lol...  

  18. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Have you looked into the Mountain buggy brand of strollers -- it is what I had with my third and I loved it. It was my own splurge and it was worth every penny.  

  19. # Blogger M

    Oh oh! I have questions for you.

    1. What is something you said "I will never do that with MY kid..." but then you did it?
    2. What is your husband's most annoying habit?
    3. What actor do you drool over?
    4. What is something, regardless of how tight money may get, that you can't live without?  

  20. # Blogger Chastity

    The whole stroller issue just stresses me out and makes me want to cry. There is NOTHING out there that meets my needs exactly. I want a stroller I can use with the infant carriers and hold Lila as well. The Joovy will hold the carriers, but apparently in that position the toddler can't really ride...plus it won't fit in my car and has terrible reviews. The Valco has better reviews, but from what I've read, you also can't use the toddler seat when you're using both car seats. Plus, you have to buy everything separately. You buy the stroller, then you buy the toddler seat, and then if you want to use your car seats you have to buy additional adapters for those (and I haven't found any evidence that supports the idea that you can use both car seats at the same time). Plus, it's expensive...I wish I could see it in person, b/c I have no way of knowing if it'd fit in my trunk either.

    I looked into the Peg Perego Triplette, since I saw with my own eyes a picture of someone using it with one infant seat in the back, one in the front, and a toddler in the middle, but it is VERY long (again, a car issue)...and it's over a grand!

    The Baby Trend Triplet Stroller is not too expensive, but it doesn't have great reviews. Plus, I also couldn't find any evidence that it would accommodate the car seats, aside from a review written by a nanny of triplets that said she uses all three car seats with it.

    So, I'm wondering if I need to just get a double stroller with a Litaf Seat to Go or Pickup...or maybe a Swiss Strolli. Or maybe I could get a double and put Lila in the stroller with one infant seat and carry one baby in a carrier or sling.

    Oh, and of course it's normal to want the room ready when they arrive. You won't have the time or energy to shop for cribs, pick out bedding, have it cleaned and painted, organize, and all that other room prep stuff after they're here. It's ridiculous to me that people don't get that. My mom actually made a similar comment to me, and I found it highly annoying.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly