February Goal Review and New March Goals

Somehow February has ended. Even with an extra day thrown in there at the end, it seemed to me as if the month flew by.

While my February sanity wasn't compromised by never-ending deadlines and piles of work that kept me up and working into the wee hours as it was in January, I was still busier with work than I wanted to be. I'm still getting used to this freelance work/life balance thing. If anyone happens to have figured that out, please do clue me in.
Here's where I stand on fulfilling February's goals, most of which are strangely similar to those I set in January. Hmmm...
Goal #1: Create a writing schedule.
While I do not have a formal schedule crafted, I have put to good use a small desk calendar my sister gave me for Christmas. I'm listing my due dates for the week, any meetings I have scheduled, and important work-related items I need to remember. It sits to the right of my laptop, and next to the spot where I put my mug of vile decaf coffee each morning. I cannot miss it, and so it's done a good job of keeping me on-track for the month.
I am awarding myself half a point for quasi-achievement.
Goal #2: Clean and organize my desk, and maintain it once I've finished
I have actually attained this goal. And buried underneath the mounds of paper, sticky notes, Little People figures, crayons, and mugs with two-week-old coffee still in them I found...the envelope containing the Christmas money my relatives gave me two months ago!
My desk went from looking like this:


To this:
Goal #3: Write my first query
No. And I have no idea when I'm going to find the time to do this. As much as I hate to admit it, I may have to shelve the idea of getting published for awhile. Between my business freelance commitments, which are continually expanding, my new (unpaid) writing gig for the editorial page of my city's newspaper, and the Clingon child permanently affixed to my leg, I am busy. I won't stop jotting down my ideas and outlines, but as far as devoting any serious time to this ever-elusive dream of mine, I don't know when it's going to happen.
Goal #4: Post more frequently on Mush
Unfortunately, no. But I swear to you with three sleeping cats as my witnesses, I will do my best to write a post there this week. And given that I'm going to be laid up like a Victorian woman who's taken to her bed with ailments of mysterious origin for a few days later this week, I hope to have a little more time on my hands than I normally do.
Goal #5: Find a good relaxation technique

Oddly enough, I've found that reading about other people's misery in the newspaper relaxes me, and makes me feel damn grateful for what I have. A few months ago, my newspaper offered a me a promotion to receive the paper every day (we're longtime weekend-only subscribers). Of course, anything free is good, so I said yes. I used to let the weekday papers pile up on the kitchen table until the weekend when I recycled them, unread. Now, though, staying on top of the daily news in my city is part of my responsibilities for my writing gig. So I make it a point to read the paper while I eat lunch.

I have accomplished 2.5 of my 5 goals for this month, a big improvement over last month.

I've decided to take Thalia's advice and set one new goal a month. Given my pathetic track record so far this year, this seems like good advice to me. So, my new goal for March:

Get knocked up

Yeah. That's about it.


On an unrelated note, my frozen embryos are being defrosted today. Keep your fingers crossed that they stick around long enough to take a trip into my uterus on Wednesday.

7 Responses to “February Goal Review and New March Goals”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I'm impressed with the state of your desk. I have a constant pile of papers and books and whatever sitting precariously in one corner of my desk but other than that, I think it's under control.

    I think your new goal for the month is a mighty fine one! ;-)  

  2. # Blogger My Wombinations

    Your desk looks fantastic.

    I am thinking of those little embryos today and hoping they are strong!  

  3. # Blogger shokufeh

    I am very impressed. Especially by your desk. Good luck with this month's goal!!  

  4. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    My fingers are crossed and double crossed...  

  5. # Blogger Jesser

    Ooh... that desk thing should be a goal of mine. Mine's a constant DROP ZONE of junk and I cannot seem to keep on top of it!! So good for you.

    Fingers crossed on the knocking up.  

  6. # Blogger Binulatti

    Wow! Industrious! Bravo! Here's a funny coast-ism: After reading the "find a relaxation technique" goal in Feb, I was almost certain you were going to take up Hatha yoga, or TM, or some sort of mommy & me pilates. But no! I too have found that hanging on on our a-type east coast wound-uppedness is not something one can just stretch or meditate away. Good for you for finding an outlet in the dailies. Me? Celebrity gossip websites. It's sickening, I know.  

  7. # Blogger Shannon

    wow... you have been busy... and I am so with you about the kid perm attached to my hip as well... I swear I am never going to cross any of my goals off my list anytime soon...  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly