A Review of January's Goals (Or The Post in Which I Publically Flog Myself)

Forgive me, IW readers, for I have sinned. It's been four days since my last blog post.

Rather than bore you with the details of what I've been up to for the past week (Work. And also, More Work), I've decided to capitalize on the last remaining hours of the 1st of February to review where I stand on the goals I set for myself for the month of January.

Let's begin, shall we?

Goal #1: Create a writing schedule.

Survey says...No dice. Almost every free minute I have had in January was spent chained to my laptop. Two large projects with almost exactly the same deadline, coupled with a few smaller projects sprinkled throughout the month have just about nearly caused my head to explode, and if I had managed to create a writing schedule at the beginning of the month, it probably would have done me no good, what with the schedule changes and project difficulties I experienced. (Although having a schedule really would have made my tiny little sressed-out, Type A brain feel so much better.)

Goal #2: Clean and organize my desk, and maintain it once I've finished.

I totally fulfilled this goal, right? I mean, how hard is it to spend 10 minutes shuffling and filing papers, and moving pencils and other sharp objects out of the reach of roaming 17-month-old hands? I thought I would offer photographic evidence for this one.




Uh, yeah. No success meeting this goal either.

Goal #3: Start running before Isabella wakes up.

Score! I have successfully made the transition from early-afternoon running to wee-hours-of-the-morning running. I cannot say I enjoy the change, and many, many mornings, my body is all, "Um, WTF are we doing on the treadmill at 6:20am?" but the added work time I get while Isabella is napping has been worth the switch. (And, may God help me, but I'm actually enjoying watching the election coverage on Morning Joe while I run, even though we are Keith fans through-and-through in my house.)

Goal #4: Write my first query.

This is the goal I am most disappointed about not meeting. The month of January was extremely busy for me in terms of freelance writing work. However, all of it was corporate writing, and I had not one free minute to turn my ideas for features and essays into pitches for magazines. I received this book and this one and also this one for Christmas. I haven't cracked the spine of any of them, even though they have sat 10 inches from my laptop, on top of my desk since late December.

Goal #5: Post more frequently on Mush

My last post on Mush was a very, very long time ago. I'm sorry, Pru!

So, if you're keeping score, that's 4 Big Fat Failures, and 1 Goal Successfully Completed for the month of January.

With such a pitiful record, it seems laughable for me to post goals for February. But I'm doing it anyway, because these are things I really want to achieve. My life feels a bit out-of-control at this point, and having goals, even if I can't meet them, makes it seem that reining in the chaos is at least within the relam of possibility.

As such, in addition to attempting once again to complete January Goals Numbers 1, 2, 4, and 5, an additional goal for February is:

Find a good relaxation technique.

Before Isabella was born, I used to take long baths at the end of almost every day to decompress before bed. I don't have that kind of time now, but I would love to find a quick and simple way to relax, if even for 5 minutes during the middle of the day. Suggestions?

My workload is finally lessening, so I should be posting more often now. I'm sure all four of you who read here regularly will sleep better tonight knowing this.

7 Responses to “A Review of January's Goals (Or The Post in Which I Publically Flog Myself)”

  1. # Blogger kenju

    A ood way to relax is to do some yoga, which is perfect for the five minutes here and there routine.  

  2. # Blogger Thalia

    Now now you know more than 4 people read this, don't you??

    I think one goal a month is just fine. If you had to pick one out of the five which is the one which would really improve your quality of life, which would it be?  

  3. # Blogger Unknown

    YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!! I did an abysmal job of completing my goals for the very reason you gave - work, work, and more work!! I'm going to post my February goals next Saturday so I can further humiliate myself. GREAT job getting on the treadmill each morning! :-)  

  4. # Blogger shokufeh

    I'm impressed with your one. I'm at none, and slipping.
    I'm really good at the relaxation - not necessarily for stress relief (because who would I be without my stress!) - but good at it. I find that just sitting down and reading something, even a page or two of a magazine, helps satisfy that me/relaxation time. I keep magazines in the car for that purpose.  

  5. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    First, there are definitely more than FOUR people who read your blog. Trust me. The numbers are crazy of the commenters compared to readers...

    And Yay! One goal is better than 0 met.

    A relaxation technique. Heh. Um... A dark, locked closet for 10 minutes? You know, kind of a suburban deprivation tank...  

  6. # Blogger Unknown

    I'm so happy you stopped by my blog.
    :)
    Yours is very enjoyable!

    See you soon,

    Sylvia C.  

  7. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Yes, I agree with Thalia--cut down on the goals. And forget about the messy desk. Really creative people are not organized. I read that somwhere.

    Nice books!!!!!!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly