Uncaffeinated, Unwell, and Unpleased

Today is day two of my self-imposed caffeine-free existence. After reading about this recent study, which says that women who drink more than 200 milligrams of caffeine while pregnant double their miscarriage risk, I decided to be proactive and end my consumption a few weeks before my transfer.

It is not going well.

I am a full-pot-a-day coffee drinker. I also consume at least 1-2 cans of diet soda a day. To say that I relied heavily on caffeine to give me enough energy to chase Isabella through hither and beyond would be drastically understating my reliance on (read: addiction to) caffeine. And while I've managed to thus far avoid the dreaded caffeine withdrawl headaches, I am dragging.

To make matters worse, Isabella has been sick with a cold since Sunday, and very whiny and needy as a result. Just yesterday, I came down with her cold and have been very whiny and needy as a result. Unfortunately, there's no one around to tuck me into bed and make me chicken soup, served to me on a lovely bamboo tray with a plate of crackers and a tall glass of freshly squeezed OJ. In fact, the hubs has been working late for the past three days, and tonight he won't get home until 10:30pm. Wah.

I have not left the house for more than one hour since Sunday. And since my house is awash in germs and snot, no one wants to visit me here either.

Won't you be my neighbor?

11 Responses to “Uncaffeinated, Unwell, and Unpleased”

  1. # Blogger beagle

    I can't even offer you chocolate . . . that's all caffeinate as well.

    Ugh!  

  2. # Blogger Marie

    Ugh!

    I would bring you something if I had my car! (in the shop for maintenance today)

    Did you at least wean yourself off the caffeine? Or did you go cold turkey? That's a lot to give up all at once, Dude.  

  3. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    Oh hon, you didn't go cold turkey, did you? That's gonna be a big crash of the emotions and moods. BUT, since you're already on day
    2, just forge ahead. Can you allow your self half a cup? Or would that be too tempting to have more?

    I know how scary it can be when trying to get pregnant, so I can only imagine the fears involved when trying with the stresses of infertility treatments... Hang in there....  

  4. # Blogger My Wombinations

    Wish I could come and baby you:( I hope you feel better soon. And kudos on the caffeine thing. I am right there with you. I almost broke down and had some the other day and this morning, I would have killed my puppy for a cup (I am on 3 hours of sleep, can't you tell?) But we WILL survive and someday these little rugrats, ahem ANGELS, will be the ones changing OUR diapers and feeding us soup. Just hopefully not through a tube. I would hate that.  

  5. # Blogger Jesser

    Oooh... that must be rough. Sorry you're feeling so sick. It just seems to be all over right now!! My friend's 3 month old has been sick for 2 weeks ... poor little guy. Feel better soon.  

  6. # Blogger Binulatti

    Hey, chin up! You did it once, you can do it again, right? You could always give this stuff a try. Though decaf is probably an easier crutch to procure...  

  7. # Blogger Damselfly

    It really sucks when you're sick and a mom because you never get a sick day! Gah! I really hope you both get better soon. It must be hard to kick caffeine and have a cold and have a child with a cold!  

  8. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Ooh, I'm sorry. Giving up coffee is HARD with little kids, but you're so very awesome for making sure it's the best transfer possible. I'm thinking very healthy thoughts for you over here and hoping you both feel better soon.  

  9. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I so know how you feel, been giving up dr pepper and feeling horrible. Good luck with it and hope everyone is better now  

  10. # Blogger sher

    Oh Kristi! Giving up caffeine AND a cold? I'm so sorry. And if I lived near you, I would bring you some nice chicken noodle soup!

    I also think you might want to slowly go off the caffeine. I went cold turkey after I graduated from Law school--and it was hideous.  

  11. # Blogger Shannon

    welcome to my world... I can't have caffine still because of my surgery... and had to be off it well before the surgery too... but... a good dose of protein and carb helps like 2 tbsp of raisens and 20 peanuts helps as a good dose... just make sure the raisens don't have sugar on them hehehe...  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly