29 Hours 'Til Transfer (*updated)

Yesterday morning I got the call from the embryologist that all four of my embryos survived the thaw. This is good news, but with IVF, success is measured in small milestones. The first 24 hours post-thaw are crucial, as that's when cleavage (or cell division) begins to happen. I am hoping and praying that I have at least a couple 8-cell or better embryos on Wednesday. Isabella was an 8-cell embryo. The embryologist told me I would show up on Wednesday and my doctor would let me know how many were available for transfer. I asked him to call me tomorrow, because I Must Know. Even though I have no control over this process, I like to convince myself that I do. I'll give an updated embryo report here at some point today.

So, four survived. My doctor led me to believe that one of the four wouldn't make it, so I never thought to ask what would happen to the 4th if it, too, made it. Of course, on Wednesday, I will likely not have four perfect embryos from which to choose. Odds are that some will have cleaved better than others. Some will be better suited for transfer than others. But what if by some chance they are all identical and exceptional quality embryos? I don't know my choices for #4.

On Sunday, the hubs started administering the progesterone injections. Holy hell, I had forgotten how much those hurt, and how sore my arse is for days afterward.

I have a busy week planned, which is partly by design. Yesterday I conducted an interview for my newspaper gig, took Isabella to her 18 month checkup (23 pounds, 8 ounces, 32.4 inches long), and went to storytime at the library. Today, I have a client meeting, and more interviews to conduct. I'm trying to clear up all major work commitments and responsibilities by tomorrow, so I don't have to exist as a bundle of stress post-transfer.

Tomorrow the hubs is taking the afternoon off of work. My grandma is coming over to watch Isabella because we have an "appointment to refinance our mortgage." At 12:45pm, I'll arrive at my clinic with a "semi-full bladder" (how, exactly, does one measure that?), and somewhere around 1pm, hopefully at least one embryo will make itself comfortable in my uterus, and decide it's a fine place to stay for the next 9 months. Then, we'll go home, and I'll be on what is essentially modified bed rest for the next day and a half.

Thank you so much for all of your kind words, support, and encouragement. I am nervous and anxiety-ridden right now, but I am ready.

I will post an update when we get back home tomorrow.

*Update: The lab called and all four of my embryos are doing well. I have two 4-cell embryos, and the other two are between 2 and 3 cells. All four are cleaving well for Day 2. Hopefully, they'll continue to divide even further for the transfer tomorrow.

10 Responses to “29 Hours 'Til Transfer (*updated)”

  1. # Blogger My Wombinations

    I will be thinking of you all day tomorrow...  

  2. # Blogger The Queen B

    You'll be in my thoughts...let us know how it goes.  

  3. # Blogger Gal on the Go

    Good luck Kristi! I'll keep you in my thoughts tomorrow!  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Good luck! I have fingers & toes crossed for you!  

  5. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    Cleave, lil embryos. Cleave...  

  6. # Blogger shokufeh

    This really is very exciting, in that anticipatory way. I can't imagine how stressed you are, as I am stressed for you. Good luck! I'm thinking good thoughts, and looking forward to the next update.  

  7. # Blogger beagle

    Sending you loads of luck!  

  8. # Blogger Hopeful Mother

    Here's hoping that your "mortgage is refinanced successfully!"  

  9. # Blogger Marie

    Thinking of you... good luck with the mortgage bankers! ;-)  

  10. # Anonymous Anonymous

    All my best wishes are with you Kristi  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly