Digging Out

Thank you for your kind words of support and suggestions for dealing with the work problem I'm having. You people rock, truly.

I'm currently unburdening myself, one step at a time. Here's what I've decided to do.

1.) Although my two (free) childcare options (my great aunt and my grandma) are in their late 70s, I'm going to ask them to come over to watch Isabella more frequently. I figure I can work upstairs in my bedroom while they watch the kiddo for an hour or two, and that way I'm close by if they need me. Isabella adores them as much as they adore her, and although it will impact my productivity, I can always pop downstairs every so often to make sure they aren't passed out from exhaustion while Isabella is eating crayons and drinking out of the cats' water bowl.

2.) I'm going to downgrade my cleanliness standards and allow myself to have a messy house for a little while. I can't afford a house cleaner (as much as I would love one) and I can't afford the time it takes to keep my house looking as I think it should. So, I've decided to just embrace the mess. And if Isabella is running around covered in cat hair and Cheerios crumbs all day, well, so be it.

3.) I'm going to calm the hell down. I've come to realization that I'm my own boss here. I have no deadlines other than those I impose upon myself. It's entirely within my control to give my clients a timeline and a schedule that won't make me crazy (or, more crazy). They may not like it. They may not want to use me. But the fact is, I'm a freelance writer with more than one client. I'm a work-from-home mother of a very demanding toddler. And there are only 24 hours in a day. As much as I try to deny these facts under the belief that I can do it all, I cannot. I have to work within the structure of my life, and not against it.

So there you have it. Please remind me of these resolves the next time I post a freakout as I did on Tuesday, because I think we all know there will be another one.

PS: Jesser recommended Lifehacker for organization and freelancing tips, and I'm loving this site. Especially helpful was this article on the 7 Habits of Successful Freelancers. Check it out.

9 Responses to “Digging Out”

  1. # Blogger kenju

    You'll have it all under control in no time! I think the aunt and grandma will love it and so will Isabella!  

  2. # Blogger Unknown

    GOOD FOR YOU!!

    I had to laugh at the thought of Isabelle eating crayons and drinking out of the cat's bowl because, ahem, those are two things that Bridget loves to do. Totally disgusting, especially drinking out of the cat's dish, even though she has numerous drinks at all times.

    Can't wait to check out that site!  

  3. # Blogger My Wombinations

    Good for you. I am sure that all of this will seem much more manageable with a little help. And I am all for low standards in housecleanliness. I figure it is good for Sam to be around some clutter and dirt. Her expectations will stay low. Besides, I am always a little suspicious of people who have spotless homes. I (for one) can always think of 10,000 more interesting things to do than clean... so I am somewhat suspicious of anyone who can't:) Or at least this is what I tell myself when I refrain from picking up the massive clump of cat hair in the corner. And the truth is countless studies have shown that clutter and mess is a sign of creativity--always a plus for a writer!  

  4. # Blogger Ramona

    I think you'll find that everyone will be much happier!
    Good luck, and good writing!  

  5. # Blogger Jesser

    So glad you're doing better. I have definitely gone through similar overwhelmed periods and coming out the other side always feels good.

    Glad the link was a hit too. It's a great read.  

  6. # Blogger Damselfly

    Everything sounds reasonable, including the cat hair and Cheerio crumbs. I hope things will work out a little better.

    You are probably way more productive, efficient and organized than you realize you are. As you said, a wahm -- You have to be. :)  

  7. # Blogger Shannon

    you know why not ask over both of your older relatives to watch Isabella and ask if one of them could vacumm for ya or dust etc... I'm sure they would do it for ya... plus think of it as a good dead you are doing for them... you are keeping them active! Hehehee... and if I lived closer I would totally let Isabella destroy my house... because Lore has already did it lol... hugs!  

  8. # Anonymous Anonymous

    You're a fabulous writer Kristi. I was feeling a little morose, but after reading 3 of your posts, I've got a smile on my face. I love how you describe things. And--I'm so happy you've resolved to relax about messes--and to have help from relatives.  

  9. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Sounds like a plan, its hard to just let go sometimes but sounds like its needed.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly