Happy Super Tuesday

The hubs and I are election-junkies. Whenever there's a major national election going on, we're glued to the tv into the wee hours of the morning, watching the talking heads discuss poll numbers, strategies, and precinct returns. And when it's a presidential election year, well, it's pretty much Survivor finale night, Super Bowl Sunday, and the season premiere of Lost all rolled into one in my house.

For the last several weeks, we've watched debates and primary/caucus coverage. We follow stories of the candidates in the newspaper, and we've gotten into raucus arguments with my family (whose politics couldn't be more different than ours) over Sunday dinner.

I do understand those who choose to remain apathetic to government and unconcerned about who has control of this country. After all, Washington isn't exactly fertile ground for change, and with the economy tanking, and no end in sight for the endless war, I have a few friends who think, "Why bother voting? My one vote isn't going to change anything, and even if it did, that person won't be able to change a thing."

But here's the way I look at things.

Yes, fighting for a much-improved healthcare system, the end to global warming, better schools for our kids, and human rights is hard work when it seems that the structure of government has set you up to fail. And yes, many lofty campaign promises end up as empty rhetoric once the winner takes office and realizes that Washington is deeply divided along party lines, making it difficult to get anything accomplished.

But as citizens of this country, we have to believe that there's at least a chance for improvement. A chance to leave this country for the next generation in a better state than the one it's in right now. We owe it to ourselves and to our kids to elect the candidate whom we think most capable of making needed changes to the issues important to us.

Think of it this way: Where would women be if Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony hadn't cared enough to fight for our right to vote? Where would African-Americans be if Martin Luther King, Jr. hadn't cared to fight for civil rights? These were ordinary citizens who did extraordinary things for our country. I truly believe one person can make a difference.

When I vote today, I'm taking my little girl with me. She's too young to know what her mother is doing when she pulls the lever in the voting booth, but my hope is that someday she'll realize the importance of making her voice heard. And that one day, like her mother, (for better or for worse), she'll have a lot to say too.

So, if you live in one of the 22 states holding primaries or caucuses today, please do go out and exercise your right to vote, even if it isn't for Isabella's favorite candidate.


To learn where the candidates stand on issues that are important to you, head here.

5 Responses to “Happy Super Tuesday”

  1. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    Change may not come easily to our country, but at least we're capable of it. I know we have our own problems, but for a young country founded by entrepreneurs and adventure seekers you gotta admit that we've come further in our short lifetime than many countries that've been around for thousands...

    Have fun voting! The one conversation about the primaries between my husband and myself consisted of "which do you think they're gonna pick? Hmmm. Don't know." Not much of a joke, either...  

  2. # Blogger MsPrufrock

    So, uh, who are you voting for? I kid, I kid.

    Cute shirt. If I knew who I preferred (though I know this will be decided for me naturally), I'd buy my kid a shirt too.  

  3. # Blogger Unknown

    Awesome shirt!! It's 6:30 PM, and I have yet to make it out to vote. Ian's at a preschool meeting, and I just hope he gets back before the polls close. :-O

    After all, my vote for Hillary has to cancel out his vote for Obama!!  

  4. # Blogger Shannon

    ohhh thank you so much for that link... that made my day!!  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I voted for Hil, and the hubs voted for Obama. But, Hil took the state! Isabella looks so adorable in that T-shirt!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly