Merry Christmas to Me

The homes in which I grew up did not have hardwood floors. My parents were strictly rug-and-linoleum people, so the kitchens and bathrooms of my childhood were covered in linoleum, and all other rooms were carpeted.

My first apartment after graduating from college was located in a home built in the early 1900s. It was 800 square feet of absolutely beautiful and original hardwood flooring. I decided then and there that my future house would need to have similar floors. When the hubs and I were house-hunting, this was one of the features we had to have (along with a fireplace).
The house we ended up buying after a long and arduous search had hardwoods in great condition on the first floor. However, the stairs and upstairs hallway were inexplicably carpeted with ugly and dirty beige carpeting. Needless to say, we promptly ripped it up, and underneath? The polished hardwood found in most of the rest of the house.
The exception was the kitchen, which was covered in linoleum tile that was in all likelihood installed during the Ford presidency. It was a putrid yellowish-brown color that we were never able to get entirely clean. It had permanent scuff marks that predated our purchase of the home. And I loathed it with a fiery passion, even as we put in our offer.
That was 7.5 years ago.
For Christmas this year, in lieu of giving each other gifts, the hubs and I put our money into a laminate hardwood floor for our kitchen. Today, it was installed.
Behold, the eye-searingly ugly "before floor":


And the clean and scuff-mark-free "after floor." Hello, gorgeous:


I think I shall hang a "Do Not Disturb" sign on my front door, collect a pillow and an afghan, and curl up on it tonight because my kitchen floor and I are officially dating.

14 Responses to “Merry Christmas to Me”

  1. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    Beautiful choice. Have a fun night in your kitchen!  

  2. # Blogger Debbie

    Looks awesome! We did the same last year. Hardwood rocks!  

  3. # Blogger kenju

    I'd date that floor too! How gorgeous it looks! Mine is "never wax" laminate that looks like walnut flooring. After 25 years, it needs to be replaced and I'd love to do what you just did!  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Its lovely, your kitchen looks great  

  5. # Blogger Unknown

    It looks fantastic!! And I just love that little breakfast nook - very charming, indeed!  

  6. # Blogger Marie

    Beauty! Awesome, Kristi. Enjoy it!  

  7. # Blogger beagle

    Gorgeous!

    We too had very nice wood floors hidden under hideous carpeting (avacado green)throughout the house. It took a lot of work to refinish them, but worth it. Our kitchen had three layers of lumpy hideous linoleum but now it is tile. Looks great, but it's COLD on the feet!

    Great xmas gift idea! This gift will last a lifetime.  

  8. # Blogger Jesser

    The floor looks AMAZING ... and I am seriously in luv with that little eating nook. I saw something similar in a MS Living magazine a few years ago and fell in love. Awesome!!  

  9. # Blogger Gal on the Go

    Kristi it looks beautiful! Now that's the best gift ever. Enjoy them. I'm so happy for you guys  

  10. # Blogger Gal on the Go

    Incidentally sounds like you are your hubs are like C and I - hardwoods and a fireplace (plus a garage) were our musts when finding our new house! (maybe that's what took so long?)  

  11. # Blogger My Wombinations

    Looks great!  

  12. # Blogger My Wombinations

    I completely agree re: hardwood, although I have never really had anything else. Still, I think it is really the most aesthetically pleasing and your kitchen attests to that!  

  13. # Blogger Binulatti

    Oooh, preety! Can't wait to walk on it (in my socks)!  

  14. # Blogger Damselfly

    I dream of a kitchen floor like that! Beautiful!

    Actually, my husbland bought the materials for a new laminate floor a couple years ago -- and we still have tile. Stained, chipped, yucky, 20-year-old tile.

    I also like your fridge. Is your fridge seeing anyone?  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly