Fashion Fright Friday: Shades of Gray Edition

I was under no delusions that my brown hair was free from gray strands. The streaks started showing up when I was about 28, and at the time, they didn't bother me. After all, they were signs of age and wisdom! They made me look distinguished! They gave my boring and non-descript hair a bit of character!

My gray hairs and me were at peace with each other.

Until a few weeks ago when I discovered those gray streaks had moved in a whole lot of their friends.

I wear my hair short, and I am in desperate need of a haircut. My stylist left the salon where he was working to open up his own place, which doesn't open until mid-January. My hair is a mass of overgrown layers and split ends, so a few weeks ago I decided to get it off my face and into a ponytail, using the cute hair ponies I won from a contest Melissa was holding on her blog a few months ago.

Once my hair was in a ponytail, I decided to take a photo of the back of my head to show Melissa that I was actually using her creation (when I won the contest, I intended to save the hair ponies for Isabella since my hair is usually never long enough to pull back).

I just about fainted once I saw the massive number of gray hairs poking out of the back of my skull. The picture doesn't tell the full story. Trust me when I tell you there are many, many gray hairs back there.

Unless you count Manic Panic and various and sundry knock-off hair dye products, I've never colored my hair.

January 2008 may mark my world debut as a platinum blond.

Stay tuned.

8 Responses to “Fashion Fright Friday: Shades of Gray Edition”

  1. # Blogger Gal on the Go

    There's a reason my hair is highlighted (though not nearly as blonde as it used to be). A while back I went back to my natural color only to realize I had my own grey friends. When I mentioned it to my mom I discovered this is her reason for being a blonde too. Good luck!  

  2. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    I feel your pain. I have a serious gray streak that is needing some attention. But my hair grows so fast, that simply highlighting it isn't gonna cut it anymore. I need to find a good, over the counter do it yourself hair dye that doesn't cost an arm or a leg and can be touched up every 6 weeks or so. Any suggestions?  

  3. # Blogger Damselfly

    If I lived in a snowy place, I figured I could go outside to let the snowflakes cover up my gray. But, I must find other resources....  

  4. # Blogger Unknown

    Trust me, Kristi, I pluck out a few grays every morning. I can't color my hair, though, before Locks of Love (they won't accept color-treated hair). And I actually like my hair color, and I'm afraid it'll look unnatural otherwise . . .  

  5. # Blogger kenju

    When I first discovered gray hairs, I pull them out. At about age 45, there were so many that it was no longer plausible to pluck. I waited about 3-4 more years before dyeing my hair, dyed it for almost 20 years and in 2006 I said "NO MORE". I have never been happier with my salt and pepper hair!  

  6. # Blogger M

    I've been dyeing my hair for a year now. I am REALLY gray. Yours makes mine look snowwhite. I finally gave in after Madelyn was born. The salon does it at a mere $120 for my roots and haircut and I have to get it done every 6 weeks.  

  7. # Blogger Shannon

    LOL... Jeremy has had 2 major grey spots since he was 18... just go dye it something fun and funky!  

  8. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Oh, I know! I went years with totally virgin hair, then finally started getting it colored and now there's no holding me back. I get it colored, with no attempt to look natural. Except for the cost, I love getting it done.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly