Things I'm Diggin' Lately

Since becoming a FT WFHM (that's full-time, working from home mom, for the uninitiated), my world has become a lot smaller. I don't see a lot of people during the day, unless you count Rosie and the mail carrier, and I don't get out a lot, considering the cold weather and snow we've been having here in upstate NY (well, that and the gigantic pain in the ass it is to dress a squirming baby in a coat and hat, strap her into her car seat carrier, and haul that 20-pound behemoth around with me in the great wide open. Seriously, someone needs to redesign those things for women with absolutely no upper-body strength, such as myself).

So I tend to take great pleasure in the more understated things in life now. Like being able to pee in silence without having to hear a single whine from Isabella, who is often upset at the absolute outrage of being set down in her bouncy seat, located in the bathroom for that exact purpose.

Here are some of my current favorites in no particular order.

1.) The Jumperoo. Oh Lord, the Jumperoo. The Rolling Stones got it all wrong when they called out Valium as Mother's Little Helper. Clearly, they had never been introduced to the Jumperoo. This little gem of a baby contraption was recommended to me by a good friend who told me her kids loved it, and best of all, it exhausted them, what with all that...jumping. Score. So I told my mom to buy it for Isabella for Christmas, and praise God, she loves the thing. We have it in the kitchen, so I can set her in it, get my coffee, read yesterday's mail, or sit at the kitchen table and contemplate my navel for 10 minutes before she demands my attention again. And yes. It tires her out too. See below.

Exhibit A:



Exhibit B:


2.) Reeses Pieces. Okay, so I haven't had these things since I was five years old and following a trip to the theatre to see E.T., my mom decided to place a trail of them outside my bedroom and my sister's, as they did in the movie. But lately, I'm funneling them down. I read in one of my baby books that breastfeeding moms actually have more cravings than pregnant women. Damn straight, they do.

3.) Puffins Peanut Butter Cereal. I'm all about peanut butter, and hello? Peanut butter cereal? I'm all over it. Plus, they're organic, made from all-natural ingredients, and low-fat too. Buy some. Seriously. You'll thank me.

4.) Yummy Mummy. This is a show I caught for the first time on the Discovery Health network a few weeks ago. I *heart* it. It shows real moms, real struggles, and explores real issue affecting today's moms. Plus, I really dig the cute cartoonish beginning. Anyone seen this besides me?

5.) Grocery shopping by myself. Okay, so I totally know how lame mentioning this makes me. But I'm okay with it. As I've mentioned, I don't get out much. And when I do, I'm hauling the bean and a diaper bag packed with gear for every potential disaster that could befall her, and a lot of times a stroller the size of my Jetta. So getting out and about unencumbered, in a word, rocks. Usually my aunt comes and watches Isabella on Friday mornings, and I'm off. I hit the in-store coffee shop. I browse the natural food section looking for healthy alternatives to the food we normally eat. There is no crying (at least from my kid). There is no one demanding my attention. And. It. Is. Glorious.

6.) Hillary's recent presidential announcement. I know some of you may not like her. I realize she's a polarizing figure (but hello? So is our current "leader). But I love her like nobody's business. She's intelligent. Well-spoken. And has done remarkable work as my state's junior senator. I am absolutely, 100% behind her presidential campaign, and my hope is for a Clinton-Obama ticket. And my right-wing, conservative Republican family members' heads are likely to explode when I bring Isabella over to Sunday dinner at my aunt's house wearing this.

14 Responses to “Things I'm Diggin' Lately”

  1. # Blogger The Queen B

    The Jumperoo saved Camille a lot of screaming, or was that it saved me a lot of screaming? Either way, we L.O.V.E.D. it.

    Hillary's announcement has made me a wee bit excited that possibly, in a few years, our country might get back onto track!!  

  2. # Blogger My Wombinations

    I am definitely trying #'s 3 and 4, but I am not going to lie. Number 5 scares me a little....What have I gotten myself into??  

  3. # Blogger Damselfly

    Hey, how funny cuz Grandma gave our little one a Jumperoo for Christmas too! And I agree, it does wonders for tiring out a child who needs to release some pent-up energy.

    And thanks for the Puffins cereal review. I saw it for the first time a couple weeks ago and wondered about it.  

  4. # Blogger Leslie

    I don't even have a kid and I totally love grocery shopping by myself, especially at the farmer's or Pike Place market where I can have little Amelie moments of produce fondling.  

  5. # Blogger Shannon

    Mmmm, peanut butter cereal! I'm gonna have to try it out, as I cannot bring myself to actually purchase Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch as an adult.  

  6. # Blogger beagle

    Did you really buy the onsie? I'd love to hear how that goes over!

    Isabella is so cute in her jumperoo!  

  7. # Blogger Christine

    The onesie is adorable!

    And I think Isabella looks a wee bit drunk in your exhibit B. She is entirely too cute, but perhaps you should watch your stash when she's around.  

  8. # Blogger kenju

    When my kids were small, getting to go to the grocery store with out them was Heaven, indeed! I don't blame you for that - it's wonderful!  

  9. # Blogger Hopeful Mother

    I love the Jumperoo before and after photos!  

  10. # Blogger Hopeful Mother

    I love the Jumperoo before and after photos!  

  11. # Blogger shokufeh

    I love Yummy Mummy. In the early days of MrMan's life, I watched it every day.
    And I would have to agree that this nursing mom craves and eats more than version pregnant mom. Even 14 months into it.  

  12. # Blogger Marie

    I'm with you on the jumperoo and grocery shopping solo! We used a jumper that attached to doorways, and it was a godsend... truly. I wish they made one for grownups!

    Nothing like a leisurely trip to Weggie's... where you can sip your hot drink & thumb through a magazine. Ahhhh! (And buy food, of course)

    Hillary?!?! GAH!!!  

  13. # Blogger M

    ok. i'm mad. I posted a response to you...and it isn't here...
    Madelyn got the Jumperoo from her grandmother for Christmas. We haven't put it together yet. I'm wondering how well she would do in it. She has good head control--- but head control and bouncing together? Not sure. Perhaps I will ask mike to bust it out of the box tonight.  

  14. # Blogger Kristi

    Princess: Love that Jumperoo. And yes, Hillary's announcement had the same effect on me.

    My wombinations: Yup-the Puffins and Yummy Mummy rock. And number 5? You'll soon know exactly what I'm talking about. :)

    Damselfly: The makers of Jumperoo should receive a pulitzer, in my opinion.

    Sher-Oh, I'm totally getting that Hillary onesie. And yes, there will be a picture!

    L-Hee! Me too.

    Shannon-LOL. Try it. It's almost exactly like Cap 'n Crunch

    Beagle: I haven't yet, but I'm going to.

    Christine-Thanks for blowing my cover. Yeah, she's totally wasted, but mommy needed a break, and really, she enjoyed the cocktail I gave her instead of her mid-morning feeding.

    Kenju-Yup. It totally is!

    Hopeful Mother-Thanks!

    Shokufeh-I'm glad I'm not the only one with nursing cravings. ;)

    Marie-The jumperoo is a gift from God. I truly believe that. ;) And one day, you'll see the Hillary light. I know it!

    Michelle-Stupid blogger. I've had that problem before too. I will say that we only just set up the Jumperoo at the beginning of January, so Isabella was about 4.5 months at that point, a little older than Maddy is now. And in the beginning, she just sat there. No bouncing. It's only been in the last 2 weeks she's started bouncing.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly