Balls and Knee Caps

I've got my new laptop battery, so I'm back to blogging in comfort from my chair. Or my bed. Or basically anywhere you're not actually supposed to use laptops, because apparently they can overheat and stuff if you constantly have them, well, on your lap. Ah well. It beats sitting at a desk with my arse on a hard computer chair, so I'll take my chances.

So, okay. This picture. For those of you who guessed rum balls, nope. Not in reference to rum balls. What exactly are rum balls, because they sound really good. I can't say I've ever had one. And it's not in reference to any sport either.

Let's just say that I've had my balls for a few months now, and I love them. And now everyone in my family, men and women alike, and yes, even my dear older relatives have balls now too. The balls are these. Mamacita got them for me awhile ago, and she bought a pair (ha!) for each of my family members for Christmas. Then, the female members of my family, who previously lacked balls, but who suddenly found themselves with some (including Isabella) posed for a picture with this sign my mom made. They really do reduce the time it takes you to dry a load of wash. So I'm in favor of balls for everyone!

Now let's move a little lower on the human anatomy model to the knee cap region. On Wednesday of last week, we took the little girl for her four-month checkup. She weighs 11 pounds, 15 ounces, putting her weight in the 15th percentile, which is on par with what she was at her two-month checkup. Her doctor said there's nothing wrong with her small size. She's just "petite." And I'm comforted by the fact that her head is in the 75th percentile, which means she's growing a huge brain in that skull of hers, and is on track to becoming the world's smartest bobblehead. Plus, Little Big Head's gotta retire sometime, right?

Anyway, she finished her exam, answered my twenty-zillion questions (including "how young is too young to give a little peach schnapps in the nighttime bottle?"), gave the bean her four shots, and we were just buttoning Isabella back into her clothes, when her doctor started rubbing her knees and said, "I'm not sure she has knee caps." Um, what?

She then very nonchalantly said, "Let me just go look up when knee caps in babies should be fully developed. I'll be right back." And with that, she left the room.

Rich and I were all, WTF??? Our daughter doesn't have knee caps? If it didn't sound so potentially serious (would she be able to walk without knee caps?) I think we would have laughed about it. Her doctor returned and said, "Yup, they should be developed by now. I'd like you to stick around to see a colleague of mine. He has a patient without any knee caps, and I'd like him to take a look at Isabella."

She left, and we waited. She came back about 10 minutes later with another doctor, who within seconds of feeling up my daughter's knees declared her with knee cap. Two, in fact. He then told us he had a patient in which he had missed the no knee cap diagnosis until the patient was six years old. Apparently, you'd never know this kid was missing them, because he's an athlete and runs and walks normally. Okay, then.

So the moral of the story is, check your children for knee caps everyday. Don't take it for granted that they have them! And even if you think they have them today, check for them again tomorrow. :)

Oh, and for those of you who so kindly responded to my post bemoaning my husband and his ginormous and gigantic tv Christmas wish, you'll be pleased to know I took some of your suggestions, and gave him money to put towards its eventual purchase. He was happy with it, as uncreative and uninspired as it was. And someday, he will be the owner of the aforementioned electronic behemoth. Joy.

17 Responses to “Balls and Knee Caps”

  1. # Blogger Schnozz

    I highly recommend a Levenger lapdesk ... I couldn't live without that thing. :)  

  2. # Blogger Ramona

    I must get me some balls! Although to be honest, I'm not sure we have balls in Canada.
    And I'm glad that Isabella has kneecaps. Really glad.  

  3. # Blogger MsPrufrock

    Ah yes, I'm the mother to a baby designated as "petite". At 4 months mine was about 12lbs, so I know where you're coming from. At least they're calling her petite now instead of "dinky". Ugh.  

  4. # Blogger Marie

    At 4 months, mine was around 16 lbs. I think that's when the doctor started calling him Sumo baby!!

    I could swear I read that the knee caps aren't developed til age 2... what a strange experience!

    Glad y'all have balls now!! I've never tried them!  

  5. # Blogger M

    I immediately checked maddy's legs for kneecaps. They are there. I will check again tomorrow. LOL. I'm glad everything turned out fine.
    She is 14 weeks and weighs 12 lbs. She started off in the 20% percentile for weight and last time made it to the 45th. My aunt (my dr.) said at 6 months doctors like to see the babies double their birth weight. YOu still have time! I wouldn't worry.
    Has the sleep thing gotten any better?  

  6. # Blogger Christine

    The balls sound great. HA.

    And my god, the no kneecap thing would have freaked me out.  

  7. # Blogger My Wombinations

    no knee caps? That made me laugh out loud. But I am a little bothered by the way the doctor handled it.... I think I would have had a heart attack!  

  8. # Blogger My Wombinations

    no knee caps? That made me laugh out loud. But I am a little bothered by the way the doctor handled it.... I think I would have had a heart attack!  

  9. # Blogger Anne Marie

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.  

  10. # Blogger Anne Marie

    I, like Marie, heard that they don't really develop knee caps until they are older. I'll have to look at those balls next time I get a b B&B coupon in the newspaper. Definitely would help to cut drying time. Do they make a lot of noise while bouncing around in the machine?  

  11. # Blogger Shannon

    Good god, I had no idea about the slow kneecap development. The human body is weird.  

  12. # Blogger Binulatti

    She need to have kneecaps! Witness her "Italian attitude" bib: she really should have first hand knowledge of what to break should someone have it coming. KnowwhatImsayin?  

  13. # Blogger Damselfly

    Wow, this might be the weirdest missing anatomy blog post I've read since I read about a woman whose labia went missing. But I'm so glad to hear your little one has knee caps. (!) And a good little head on her petite shoulders.  

  14. # Blogger sunShine

    I need some balls, anything to speed drying time. I gotta get some balls! Glad Isabella has kneecaps!  

  15. # Blogger Kristi

    Schnozz-oh, cool. I just checked it out. I think I may snag one of those for myself. Thanks for the recommendation.

    Ramona-No balls in Canada??? Why, that's obscene! Let me know if you want me to send you some balls. We all need them, you know. ;)

    Msprufrock-yeah, definitely not a fan of "dinky." Of course, everyone in my family thinks I'm starving her by breastfeeding her, so her weight certainly isn't helping my cause.

    Marie- Sumo baby is one cute boy now! And you must get yourself some balls!

    Michelle-hmmm... I'm not sure she'll triple her birth weight in the next two months, but as long as her doctor is okay with her weight, I am too. And see my most recent post about her sleep issues. There is some success there. PS: I'm glad Maddy has knee caps too. ;)

    Christine-It certainly freaked me out!

    My Wombinations-I was actually okay with the way she handled it because it was nice to see an MD admit she didn't know something. I would rather her do that than just assume she had them when she wasn't sure.

    Anne Marie-They do make quite the racket, but luckily my dryer is in the basement, so I don't really hear it.

    Shannon-it definitely is!

    Karrie-Fuggitaboutit!

    Damselfly-Missing labia??? Now that's a post I want to read.

    Sher-Ohhh... cool. If she becomes an actress, I can retire early and live off her good fortune. Score!

    Sunshine-Definitely get yourself some balls. :)  

  16. # Anonymous Anonymous

    consumer collectives akhandanand lettuce addition hide segment exported cfiggidoc skoblo gallery
    servimundos melifermuly  

  17. # Anonymous Anonymous

    relationship reactivity captured globalized solvay scheduled intuitive cognizant hardly subdebate barometer
    servimundos melifermuly  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly