Isabella at Five Months

I threw a little party for myself this past week because Isabella turned five months old. That means that I've somehow managed to keep this little person alive for almost half a year. And for me, that's no small feat.

If you've been reading here for awhile, you know that I will pull no punches when it comes to describing the "challenge" that is motherhood. There are days, oh, there are days, when I truly wonder if I can put forth the concerted effort it takes to keep myself from going insane. When I'm entering my 10th hour of being alone with an out-of-sorts baby who can't tell me what's wrong with her. When I haven't talked to another adult since 10pm the previous night. When it takes every ounce of self-control I have not to join my overtired baby in a round of tears.

But when she's reaching up to grab my nose while I'm changing her diaper, or when she gives me that gummy grin as I peer down into her crib at a baby who is rising from a painfully short 40 minute nap, or when she strokes my hand with her tiny fingers while I'm feeding her, there's nothing there but total and complete adoration there.

Isabella has found her feet in the past month, and when her feet are bare, she's often sucking on her own toes. Quite the contortionist, that one. She finally rolled over (both back to tummy and tummy to back). This probably should have happened months ago, but since she hates "tummy time" with a fiery passion, we've avoided forcing her to do it. But now she's lifting her head and looking around while on her tummy, instead of just laying there, head on the blanket, screeching expletives at us in a language only she can understand. That said, she much prefers being on her back.


We're working on getting her to sit up on her own. She has this cute little chair that's helping the process along. Sitting upright is an important part of being able to eat solid foods, which she's starting in less than a month.



She loves her excersaucer, and has recently begun picking up the small balls it comes with and throwing them on the floor. Chasing them around all day long is fun. F.U.N. for me. In fact, sometimes after she goes to bed at night, I take the balls and toss them around the house, just to go and collect them from under cabinets, tables, and chairs, For.The.Eight. Millionth.Time.


The little darling has begun screeching, often as a prelude to hitting the wall in a complete apoplectic fit. This bizarre little behavior began to manifest a few weeks ago. And the cats and I are fighting over my Shuffle as a result.

And when we go out, she no longer snoozes in the car as she used to. She's awake, alert, and looking all around. And when she wants to be, she can be downright charming. Who would ever think that behind this little face lurks a little demon who, when whiney, can make her mother want to hit the Bailey's. Hard.

So, happy five-month birthday, Isabella. It's been a wild ride, my dear, and I can't wait to see where we're going next.

And speaking of birthdays, welcome to the world, Samara Madeleine! Sasha over at My Wombinations gave birth to her beautiful baby girl on Thursday. Go on over and congratulate the new mommy!

8 Responses to “Isabella at Five Months”

  1. # Blogger The Queen B

    You're doing a great job Kristi!

    Please don't ever feel like you're the only one who's gone through this. Being a new Mommy is hard but your making it look so easy!  

  2. # Blogger kenju

    Kristi, I know just how you feel, especially the part about not speaking to another adult for hours on end. But, as you say, the rewards are great, and she is so very sweet and cute!  

  3. # Blogger Leslie

    I'm glad you keep it real about how hard and rewarding it is. Good for you for keeping your sense of humor!  

  4. # Blogger My Wombinations

    Well if the last two days are any indication... my hats are off to you! I had NO idea how hard this would be. Nothing can prepare you for the amount of energy and attention it takes to be a mommy. Five months seems to very far from now:)  

  5. # Blogger Marie

    Happy 5 months Isabella!!

    Being Mom of an infant is a ton of work... it gets a lot easier, in my opinion. Just wait til she starts talking and you can find out what all those babbles mean!  

  6. # Blogger M

    I love reading your posts because they hit home for me too. Our babies have lots in common-- starting with the jumperoo I responded to in your last post. After reading your post I was inspired to try Madelyn out in hers. So, Mike put it together and we sat her in it....and she just sat there. She hasn't figured out what to do yet. So, I bounced it for her a few times. THen she threw up. Game over.
    She has the exact same exosaucer too! :) My dad got it for her for CHristmas. She can't really reach anything yet though to play with it. I"m sure it won't be long until I'm hearing "Patty Cake" and chasing balls around the house. HAHAHA!
    She has a bumbo seat which is similar to the one you have-- which I think is called the Bebe.
    Madelyn rolled yesterday and we both missed it. She has also discovered her feet and holds them while I change her diaper. This makes changing a diaper a little difficult.  

  7. # Blogger Damselfly

    Wow, happy fifth-month anniversary on being a mom! I'm almost there. That's great Ella is rolling over -- mine ain't!  

  8. # Blogger Damselfly

    PS Love those big brown eyes of hers!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly