Insanity Can Be Fun!

Always one who likes to be "doing" something (I'm still learning, at the age of 30, how to sit still and eat my dinner, and stay in my timeout chair until the egg timer goes off), it's been, shall we say, trying, to be stuck inside all day to face the daunting task of keeping an increasingly active 5-month old busy for 12+ hours. The problem is mainly that it's damn cold here in upstate NY. We have over a foot of snow on the ground, and morning temperatures have been in the low teens.

Clearly, walks are out of the question, which absolutely sucks because I really enjoyed taking Isabella for strolls around our neighborhood (it's amazing what 20 minutes of fresh air can do for your psyche when said psyche is on the brink of collapse at times). And we've had some days here lately when the temperature hasn't risen much above the morning lows, so I'm hesitant to haul her out in that kind of weather. Plus snow, plus winter driving, plus questions about whether or not my not-yet-ready-for-prime-wintertime Jetta will make it over the enormous drift of snow our town plow dumps at the end of our driveway each morning, and you've got one woman and one child housebound for much of the past month or so.

So, I've invented several games to keep us busy. If you have kids and you've stuck at home with them in a cold climate, I encourage you to try them! Because, while it appears as if Isabella is the only one having Tons! Of! Fun!, truly, her mother is as well.

I call this one Whip Out Your Umbrella Stroller and Wheel Your Baby Around Your House. Clearly, Miss Ella is out of her mind with excitement over this idea, and the cats? Well, the cats are just confused.

Next, we have one I like to call Dress Up In A Silly, Frilly Dress And Pretend You're Going To a Cotillion. Suzanne Sugarbaker would be proud of this one, no?



And finally, we have Build A Fort Out Of The Eleventeen Hundred Packages Of Diapers Your Slightly Neurotic, But Extremely Generous Relatives Have Bought You. Seriously, ya'll, I've not had to buy one package of diapers since Isabella was born. And yes, I know that fact alone renders me the most ungrateful girl in the world for complaining about their critiques of my mothering abilities. I'll throw the tomatoes at myself this time to spare you the trouble.



Is it spring yet?

12 Responses to “Insanity Can Be Fun!”

  1. # Blogger kenju

    She gets cuter every time you post a pic!

    I find it interesting and very synchronous that just at the moment I read "Suzanne Sugarbaker", she was on my TV in her character of Bella on Boston Legal.  

  2. # Blogger Shannon

    Kristi, you get mega cool points for referring to Suzanne Sugarbaker without feeling the need to explain who she is! Yay!

    By the way, do you think you could allow folks without a Blogger account to comment on your blog? I don't mind using my old blog account but I'd rather my name point to my new one!  

  3. # Blogger Hopeful Mother

    I love the Huggies photo.

    And you made me smile with the Suzanne Sugarbaker remark - I haven't thought about her or Designing Women in ages.  

  4. # Blogger My Wombinations

    free diapers, eh? I must say, I feel the envy rising....  

  5. # Blogger The Queen B

    We live at the library and attend story time almost everyday and different places!!

    I can't wait for warmer weather because if I have to sing "The wheels on the bus" one more time I'm taking out the darn bus!  

  6. # Blogger Marie

    Those are some seriously adorable pictures Kristi!

    Yeah, cabin fever bites the big one. Well, at least the days are getting longer! Looks like you two are finding some great activities, short of climbing the walls...

    Can't one of the diaper-toting relatives visit a couple times a week so that at least you can get out for coffee or something by yourself?

    I think I have diaper envy... we easily spend $40/month on diapers. Hopefully not for too much longer. But in the meantime, maybe one of them wants to adopt a 41-year-old with a sweet little tot?  

  7. # Blogger Binulatti

    Whoa. All play and no work makes Shishi a crazy lady. Ha! Kidding of course. (about the work part)...Why don't you tell the fam that you're switching to washable diapers?  

  8. # Blogger sunShine

    I acnnot believe that she is 5 months old already. Time is really flying. I too have done the umbrella stroller wheeling about in the house thing. If it keeps the kiddo quiet, I am all for it. Also I loved Designing Women, Suzanne would be proud!  

  9. # Blogger Damselfly

    Oh, so true. Sigh. The thing that shocks me most as a new parent is how hard it is to entertain a baby for hours. I had somehow got the impression that all babies did was eat and sleep. (Thanks, Mom!) If we're able to go somewhere every day, that helps. But without leaving the house? Ouch. Your games look like fun, and you are so smart to come up with them.  

  10. # Blogger Christine

    Isabella is just too cute.

    And goodness I'm wishing for a nice thaw to head your way so you can at least drive to the mall and push her around there.  

  11. # Blogger Kristi

    Kenju-That's funny!

    Shannon-LOL. Thanks. And I granted your wish. :)

    Hopeful Mother-That show rocked, didn't it?

    My Wombinations-Nothing's free, my friend. Those diapers come with strings attached. ;)

    Princess-We go to an infant storytime once a week. Perhaps I need to scout out some more libraries!

    Marie-The relatives come, and when they do, I make a run for the door. But their visits are brief these days.

    Karrie-Ha! Just what I need-more grief!

    Sunshine-Yup-Isabella likes the indoor rides. They make her sleepy. :)

    Damselfly-It's awful, isn't it? I am going bat-shit crazy.

    Christine-Thanks. The mall is going to become my best friend soon, I think.  

  12. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Looks you two are having WAAAAAY too much fun!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly