I'm Not Buying the Red Rider BB Gun

Do you have a person in your life that makes your Christmas shopping endeavors about as appealing as a hunting date with Dick Cheney? Someone who when you ask what he or she wants for Christmas tells you "don't buy me anything!" (when they know full well that you're going to do it anyway), or who gives you a gift idea that is well beyond the realm of budgetary possibility?

Let's clear something up. Some people are excellent gift shoppers. They purchase exactly the right gift for everyone on their list year after year without having to ask anyone what they want, and without even having to root around for clues as to the perfect present. I'm going on record here. I am not that person.

I need help, people. I ask people what they want, and then I buy it for them, or something similar to what they've asked for. I don't like to guess. To spend precious minutes in the store wondering, "Well, I know so-and-so was into Harry Potter last year. I wonder if she still is this year?" Plus, I figure it's a win-win situation. My friends and family get what they asked for, and I have a little less stress in my life (and frankly at this time of year, that's something we could all use).

But I have one person in my life who makes my life a living shopping hell year after year, but in particular, this year. And much as I love him (Hi, dear!), his Christmas gift request this year (and, by the way, it's his only request) just ain't happening. My husband wants an LCD flat panel tv for Christmas. To the tune of at least a grand. And last time I checked, we didn't have an extra thousand dollars sitting in our bank account for a television.

I've asked him repeatedly for other ideas. And his answer is always either "the tv" or "nothing." Thanks. That's very helpful. Now, I want a trip to Switzerland, a Mini Cooper, and world peace (in that order), but you don't find me asking for any of those for Christmas. And why is that, you ask? Because they're not freaking possible! Oh wait, he's also requested an iPod Video. Less money, but still not even in the ballpark of the usual dollar amount we spend on eachother. So we have "tv." We have "iPod Video." And we have "nothing." Awesome.

Me thinks someone might be a wee bit disappointed on Christmas this year.

10 Responses to “I'm Not Buying the Red Rider BB Gun”

  1. # Blogger Marie

    Wait a sec.... you can't come up with a gift idea for your hubby? You, who knows him better than anyone else?

    A favorite tv show from years gone by that you could buy on DVD?

    A new xyz to replace a tattered xyz?

    What's he say when you ask for ideas in the price range you usually spend? If he says nothing, you can always take a guess & give him a gift receipt with the present!!  

  2. # Blogger Anne Marie

    You could always cut out a picture from an ad or print a picture of said TV (if you want to be a smartass) LOL

    Or the GC is a good idea as well... Maybe he will get other GCs for Best Buy or where ever and can put it towards the ipod video.  

  3. # Blogger Shannon

    Be a smart A$$ and see if you can find a christmas ordament that is a TV or look in the toy section and see if there is one there lol... on year my bro-n-law wanted a car... so I got him a toy car... and he still has it lol...  

  4. # Blogger My Wombinations

    hmmm... Is it the specific video function he wants or the ipod in general? If it is the ipod, you could go with a Nano. Or you could try Ebay for a less expensive video version. But that is always dangerous... . hmmm.. Or you could get him underwear. Maybe next year he will get that Amazon wishlist up and running:)  

  5. # Blogger Christine

    Why are they so obnoxious. My boyfriend sings about the playstation 3, or whatever in the hell it is. For something like five or six HUNDRED dollars. Wha, huh, never. So he can play it obsessively for a few months and then it can sit there. Bah humbug.

    So I bought him a bottle of cologne and told him in January when things go on sale I would buy him some cheaper wireless speakers that he's been also going on about.

    For Rich, I second the "something suggestive" comment. Maybe a book by an author you know he likes? Some other electronic thingy to accessorize your current functional and perfectly fine TV? New clothes? (The boyfriend also got socks, because clearly I am an EXCELLENT girlfriend. sigh.)  

  6. # Blogger Binulatti

    Aw don't be a scrooge. I say humor le hubbi. If you asked for $1K platinum knitting needles, you'd get them, in a bouquet, with a love note. The IT guy at my work sent around this link. Refurb flat panels. Might help in your quest.

    (Confidential to Rich: At least I tried!)  

  7. # Blogger kenju

    Give him a check and tell him it is toward the puchase of the TV, and that you will give him that every year for Christmas and birthday and anniversary, until you have enough to buy it. Open a separate savings account for that.  

  8. # Blogger Damselfly

    Maybe you should tweak him and put pictures of those things into gift bags for him to open!  

  9. # Blogger M

    I can't help ya here. Mike and I set a $100 limit this year...and every year he goes WAY over our limit. One year, spending about $1500 when the budget was $500. So, this year I said $100 and then bought him a nice GPS, some shirts and ties, a sweater, and a new wallet. I figure he really deserves it. He put up with my psychosis towards the end of pregnancy when I cried nightly out of fear of labor and delivery. He put up with my 3 weeks of PPD...and although he works and I;m at home right now he still gets up with her in the middle of the night. So....all of that said, if Rich is anything like Mike, I would splurge a little. Maybe not the whole kit and kaboodle...but maybe some kind of compromise?  

  10. # Blogger Kristi

    Thank you all for these suggestions! I can't reveal what you've helped me come up with here (since Rich reads this blog) but you'll find out soon enough. Honestly, you've been a big help!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly