#4-Free Friday and Some Lovely Lemon Scones

There is much joy throughout the land today, as Rich and I are off to visit my mom in Lake Placid for the weekend. Notice I said "my mom" and not "#4 and my mom"? That is because (drumroll please) he's not there. He is (if you can believe this) in Denmark visiting the dying au pair who raised him. You can't make this stuff up, people. #4 is a silver spoon trust fund baby whose parents foisted him off on a variety of "house staff" while they went about their daily lives. However, cute and dimply Ricky Schroeder he is not.

So my mom is #4-less, and invited us up to visit her, knowing full well it would be a cold day in hell before we'd EVER visit her with him there. In fact, my mom has been married to him for almost three years now, and I've never even seen where they live (she moved into his house). And in three years, I've called "their" house exactly once, and that was to tell mumsy that I was pregnant (she calls me every weekend).

I will post a recap of the weekend on Monday.

My doctor called yesterday afternoon, and I don't have gestational diabetes. Yay! I am however, still anemic, so now I have to take two iron pills a day instead of one. My digestive system is going to love me for that one.

I'll leave you with a scone recipe I tried recently. I am a big fan of scones, since visiting Fortnum and Mason in London 11 years ago and enjoying High Tea there, which included my first intro to scones. And clotted cream. Mmmm...

This recipe came from Joy of Baking. The aroma of lemons in your kitchen while making and baking these scones is heavenly. Next time I make these, I'll probably add a teaspoon or two of fresh lemon juice, to make the finished product even more lemony.

Lemon Cream Scones

Ingredients

3 cups flour
1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1 TBSP baking powder
1/4 tsp coarse salt
3/4 cup, plus 3 TBSP heavy cream
3 large eggs
2 TBSP finely grated lemon zest
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (I used a scone pan). In an electric mixer bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flour, butter, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix at low speed until the mixture remsebles coarse sand.

2. In a separate bowl, whisk together 3/4 cup cream, 2 eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla. Add the cream mixture to the flour mixture, and beat on low speed until just incorporated. Turn out onto lightly floured surface, and form into a flat disk, about 8 inches across and 1 1/2 inches thick. Cut into 8 wedges. and transfer to baking sheet.

3. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining egg and 3 TBSP heavy cream to make an egg wash. Brush scones with it, and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until tops are golden brown and firm, about 40-50 minutes, or 20 minutes in a scone pan.

10 Responses to “#4-Free Friday and Some Lovely Lemon Scones”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    YAYYAY! No #4! sooo cool!

    The scones look lovely!

    If I make them, I will make them by hand (cut the liquid in with a knife) as they will rise more like that :)
    (I hope that didn't sound bitchy as it isn't meant to..)  

  2. # Blogger Ramona

    Have a fabulous weekend! #4 is Danish? I thought he was a donut...  

  3. # Blogger Marie

    MMMM! Delish!

    Hooray for the test results & a #4-less weekend!! How sad, actually, that his parents weren't more involved... that may explain a lot.

    Have a great trip & have fun with your Mom!  

  4. # Blogger M

    Great for no GD! That's great that you don't have to take the 3 hour test. :)
    Have a nice weekend!  

  5. # Blogger Binulatti

    I am oh so jealous.
    It's been ages since I've been around mom sans 4 tagging along.
    And, those scones look flippin' amazin'! Did I tell you my lemon tree now has about 15 or so lemons on it? They're the size of my thumbnail now, but by summer's end I might have enough for one glass of my new favorite cocktail, pomegranite vodka w/lemonade!  

  6. # Blogger Christine

    Congrats on the test results.

    YAY for no #4! And how funny that he is visiting his sick au pair. Bwahaha, not that she's sick or dying, but that he had one. So I appreciate that #4 is a mega prick and all...but is he childless? Does he want me? I'm not much work at all. I mean, I live on my own, I go to school, maybe I could call him bi-weekly? And I'm mildly amusing...and importantly I could really use a trust fund ;) I'll make sure that when he's ready, he goes to a really nice nursing home...

    He totally wants me as a daughter.  

  7. # Blogger kenju

    I may try the scones. I am glad to hear that you don't have GD. My daughter had it and it was rough. Have a good weekend, and DO give an update on it.  

  8. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I'm glad he's gone and you can visit your mom. And great news about the diabetes test! Have fun!!  

  9. # Blogger Leslie

    An extra iron pill over gestational diabetes? You got the better end of the stick on that one. YAY!!!  

  10. # Blogger Kristi

    Clare-Not at all! Actually, this is the first scone recipe I've seen that calls for mixer use (usually I cut in the liquids with my pastry cutter), and since I was feeling lazy the day I made these, I went with it. Plus, the scone pan I have makes them rise very nicely anyway.

    Ramona-Oh, he's a nut all right.

    Marie-It does explain some things, but not all! Can you tell I'm willing to cut him no slack whatsoever?

    M-I know. I'm so glad!

    Karrie-mmm... yummy. Can you send me some of your lemons?

    Christine-LOL!!! He's not childless (he has one son who lives in Atlanta) but he might as well be, since he has very little to do with him. I will see if I can arrange for a domestic adoption, although you'll soon realize exactly why it is his son wants little to do with him!

    Kenju-I'm glad too. And the update is posted!

    Sher and Leslie-Thanks! I did luck out.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly