Life at 28 weeks

I had my 28 week OB appointment this morning, along with my gestational diabetes test. The 10oz orange drink I had to chug in 5 minutes didn't taste bad at all-very similar to orange soda (pop). My dear great aunt made me drive over to her house this morning and chug-a-lug there, because she was concerned I would pass out or vomit up the stuff. Apparently, another aunt told her this was possible, and although these are possible side effects, I'm not prone to such displays. Then, my great aunt followed me in her car to the lab, sat with me while I got my blood drawn, and then followed me next door to sit with me in the waiting room of the OB's office until my name was called. Only then did she leave. Ahh...the love of an over-protective, slightly neurotic family.

My 28 week appointment itself was routine. My c-section date moved to August 22nd, from August 21st. I'm measuring right on target. Gained a pound, putting my total weight gain so far at 12 pounds, and my blood pressure is good as well. I'm going to sign up for some classes at the hospital where I'm delivering: Prenatal Newborn Care, Breastfeeding, and then the required Orientation and Walking Tour. Hopefully, between these classes and the books I've been reading, I'll figure out how not to kill my child the day I take him/her home.

In other news, the glider I ordered came in. It is oh-so-comfortable to...glide in...and the matching ottoman even glides. Here's Chubbie breaking it in. And yes, her time in this chair is limited. As soon as we move it upstairs to the baby's room, she, along with Claudia and Louie are banned from it. They can sleep on my couches, chairs, and bed, but not on this chair. Notice the pillow, placed to keep kitty fur (of which she is never in short supply) away.


And the baby's crib and dresser have arrived! They are being delivered a week from Saturday. Once the furniture is in place, I can start decorating a little bit. I promise I'll post pictures once the furniture arrives. I can't believe that in less than 11 weeks, I'm having a BABY. I know you'll find this hard to believe, but most days I still can't fathom that it's actually happening. My house is full of baby stuff already (besides the glider in the middle of our living room, we have the huge travel system carrier-car seat-stroller thing in its box in the dining room, baby books donated from Rich's school's library on our dining room table, and a spare bedroom full of gifts, and the baby's bedding, curtains, and lamp shade, which I bought, and I haven't even had my shower yet) and I still wake up at times thinking that it could all be taken away from me in an instant.

Other than the crib bedding, the glider, a light switch cover, and a night light, I haven't purchased anything for Beastie. No clothes. No stuffed animals. No toys. And the things I have purchased I see more as "home decorating" than things purchased for my child. I know this isn't normal. I mean, mothers-to-be purchase things for their children before they're actually born, right? Ah infertility. You wreck havoc on my brain even while pregnant.

Beastie is moving around like crazy. He/she has had hiccups at least a few times a week, and is rocking and rolling in there all day long while I'm sitting at my desk at work. It's amazing to me how what began as small little "flutters" or "bubbles" has erupted so quickly into stomach-rolling, full-on waves of movement I can not only feel, but also see as well.

It's starting to get difficult for me to launch myself out of the comfy chair-and-a-half I'm always sitting in when I'm at home, and likewise out of my bed, and out of the bathtub. I'm doing that pregnant woman "oof!" noise when any kind of movement-from-a-reclined-position is required. And for a girl with questionable posture to begin with, slouching is slowly becoming a thing of the past as well, because it feels like I've got a book shoved up under my shirt.

Luckily, though, my energy levels are still pretty high, although I do tire more quickly than I did before.

So, August 22nd it is. Start your engines.

7 Responses to “Life at 28 weeks”

  1. # Blogger Marie

    Woohoo!! Your aunt is too cute...

    And baby's progress is sooo exciting! Yes, you WILL be having a little one in the house very soon! And all that good stuff will be put to use.

    I remember having that surreal feeling too --- kind of like setting up a stage for a play. Only, it's your life-to-be!

    Other than some garage sale clothes that were too cute to resist, I didn't buy clothes/toys before baby's arrival either.  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    11 weeks!! That's so exciting. I can't think of anyone I've known who didn't have the same feelings, wondering how they will do it--taking care of a new person. But, of course, they do! And your Beastie is one very lucky baby--to come into a home with so much love.  

  3. # Blogger Christine

    Oh YAY! How cute is your aunt? Way too cute.

    Oh I'm so so happy that all went well and is progressing normally.

    (I watched about half of 'little man' so far, and I don't know how you watched it. But I can say that watching it I have even less in the way of answers now)

    But honestly, the Beastie is going to be so loved. I am so happy for you guys. And now I'm tempted to buy you clothes after you said you hadn't bought any, but realize that with your family, (s)he won't want for a thing.

    Cannot stop smiling. :)  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    wohoo wohoo wohoo!!!!!!!!

    I can't even imagine how excited you must be!
    If it was me I would be saying I want my baby now!  

  5. # Blogger Shannon

    Yaaay, there's a definite date! Here's something fun to do: type in "August 22" into Wikipedia and you can see who Beastie will share a birthday with--some pretty notable & cool folks are born on that day!  

  6. # Blogger Kristi

    Marie-It's exactly like setting a stage for a play, and making sure all the "props" are in place. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who really hasn't gone on a baby shopping spree yet.

    Sher-It's glad I'm not the only neurotic first time mother-to-be out there! And thank you for saying that. I certainly hope the Beastie thinks that when he/she is 18!

    Christine-I'm so glad you're watching Little Man. It is very difficult to watch (as you now know), but aren't you finding you can't look away at the same time? And yeah, my family likes to spoil, so i'm sure the kid will be all tricked out in no time.

    Clare-I am! And I do!

    Shannon-Cool. Tori Amos AND Shirley from Laverne and Shirley both will share the Beastie's b-day!  

  7. # Anonymous Anonymous

    You're in the final lap of pregnancy also, I see! Thanks for your words of encouragement over at Marie's blog. It's great to hear that you and your sister are close now. I hope the same for Eli and Henry! And honestly, Henry is just and inconceivable to me as Eli was. You'd think I'd get it more the second time around. Not so!

    I hope the end is smooth for you. I'm three days away from my due date and looking forward to the surprise of labor. I did a c-section with my first. And your little one will be born on my husband's birthday!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly