My Hopes for Beastie

On M's blog, she chronicled her hopes for her future daughter, who is due in October. I thought this would be a great exercise to make permanent the aspirations I have for the baby, before he/she is born and I get sidetracked with the chaos that's bound to be my life for awhile. Please excuse the sap factor in some of the following statements. Hormones, people. They change your life.

Beastie, I would like to teach you:

That no matter what you do, or where life takes you, the most important and most constant thing in your life is the love of our family.

To have clearly defined beliefs and values, and causes that are important to you, and to then stand up for what you believe in, even when the opinion or belief is an unpopular one.

To treat the creatures with whom we share this earth with love, respect, and kindness (or you will make mommy very angry, and no one likes an angry mommy. Just ask daddy).

To be confident enough in yourself and your abilities that you never doubt for one second your value as a human being.

To treat all women with respect (if you're a boy) or to value your status as a woman, and to never gauge your self-worth according to what a man thinks of you at any given moment (if you're a girl).

To never, ever vote Republican. You'll see why. I won't even have to teach you this one.

Beastie, I hope that you will:

Realize that I am your mom, and not your friend. Much as I want to make you happy, it's my job to protect your best interests first.

Actively seek to improve the world around you, even in small ways, and to tread lightly and leave a small footprint on the Earth.

Respect your older family members because you have much to learn from them.

Cook better than both mommy and daddy (which shouldn't be a stretch) so you can keep us fed at least until you leave the house. In return, I will make you fantastic birthday cakes and birthday treats to bring to school that will make your friends wish I was their mommy instead of yours.

Beastie, I hope you get your dads's:

Patience. Because mommy? Has none. Zero. Zip. Not an ounce.

Easy-going nature. Dad rolls with it. I do not roll. Not ever. You'll see.

Eating habits. He eats everything. I am pickier than most three-year-olds.


Beastie, I hope you get my:


Compassion for critters and for humans not as fortunate as we are.

Love of literature and the written word in all forms.

Ability to say no when you have to (and sometimes, just when you want to).

Debating skills. Because having and winning arguments (ahem, heated discussions) is sometimes fun.

8 Responses to “My Hopes for Beastie”

  1. # Blogger Ramona

    Wow. Very well done! This you should frame and put in your baby's room.
    You are going to be such a good mom!!! :)  

  2. # Blogger M

    I love it! :) I don't often "roll" either! I'm a control freak!  

  3. # Blogger Marie

    Your child is so lucky to be joining your family & loving extended families. I know I've said that a million times already!

    Here's a question for you, Kristi:
    What if your child has thoughts, beliefs, or causes that are different from yours? Ones that cause him (or her) to vote differently from you? And by taking a political stance different from yours, s/he is standing up for what s/he believes in...  

  4. # Blogger Leslie

    What wonderful aspirations and lessons to have for Beastie. And to have written them so eloquently!  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Those were wonderful!! Again, I think what a lucky child Beastie is to have such a wise mom. And great dad, obviously. But, you forgot that your fabulous pie making ability needs to be passed on to Beastie.  

  6. # Blogger Kristi

    Ramona-Thanks! And good idea.

    M-Oh good. Glad I'm not the only one!

    Annelyn-Excitement is definitely not in short supply in this house! I'm definitely printing it out.

    Marie-Aww.. Thank you! And as for the answer to your question: then I'll have failed as a parent. JK! I suppose I'd have to respect my kid's views, assuming they were based on facts and real beliefs, but I can't say it wouldn't be hard for me to tolerate. As you know, I'm as left as they come, and if I had a right-leaning kid... that would be a challengs.
    Great question!

    L-Thank you. :)

    Sher-How could I have forgotten that? ;)  

  7. # Anonymous Anonymous
  8. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Looking for information and found it at this great site... » »  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly