Valentine's Day Cake Cookie Cutouts

This Valentine's Day was a low-budget one in my household. Having to spend the GNP of Lithunia to buy a baby will do that to you. So my husband and I decided to get eachother cards and leave it at that. Romantic, I know.

So I bought him two cards (one from me and one from the cats-yes, we're those kind of people), but I wanted to bake him something as well. So I made these Cake Cookie Cutouts, which are..you guessed it...sort of like a cookie, in that they're small and relatively thin, and sort of like a mini cake because they're light in texture and not crisp. My lovely Kitchenaid mixer made these a breeze to make. And Ramona and I have the exact same one!

Please excuse my horrible photography.

Cake Cookie Cutouts

Ingredients

3/4 cup butter, room temperature
1.5 cups sugar (I used Splenda for Baking)
3 large eggs, room temperature
2 2/3 cup flour
1.5 tsps baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk
2 tsps vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1.5 cups chocolate chips (optional, and I omitted)

Directions

Prehead oven to 400 degrees. Grease two 13x9 inch pans

Cream butter, and then add sugar and beat mixture for about 5 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed.

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together milk and both extracts.

Add flour mixture and milk mixture alternately to egg/butter batter, stirring by hand or using the low speed of mixer. Stir in chips.

Divide equally between pans and bake for 15 minutes, or until edges are brown and cookie cakes spring back when touched.

Let cool on a wire rack. Then, turn out cakes* onto racks.

*Just ignore the chunks taken out of the cake on the right. At some point during the cooling stage, those accidentally fell into my mouth.

Take your cookie cutter, and cut the cake into shapes. Then, frost and decorate.

This is a quick and easy treat to make, and my husband said they were yummy.

5 Responses to “Valentine's Day Cake Cookie Cutouts”

  1. # Blogger Marie

    These sound & look great Kristi!! Next year, you'll have a little peanut celebrating Valentine's Day with you!!  

  2. # Blogger Ramona

    I'm loving the recipes! It totally inspires me to use my mixer!
    Your Valentine's Day sounds really nice. (We didn't even exchange cards this year, but we did have a quality time day together, which was perfect)  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Aww very sweet  

  4. # Blogger Kristi

    Marie-Thanks!

    Ramona-I'm glad you like them. And our mixer makes baking things so much easier, doesn't it?

    Clare-Thank you!  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Excellent, love it! » »  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly