I've Been Looking So Long At These Pictures of You

Never one to disappoint my sister (she can beat me up, ya'll), I present to you a pictorial of my college years. View at your own risk.

This is moving-in day. August 1994. I'm on the right, and my best pal Jenny is on the left. We've been friends since first grade, and decided to room together our freshman year. That didn't turn out to be such a good idea, and this photo was the last known time we were within two feet of each other. Kidding! We're still pals, but the story of our inability to live in the same room together (I am HARD to live with, people) is a tale for another post.

Oh, and this is also the last mental image my mother had of her daughter as she merrily drove back home at the end of the day. No worries, right?


And this is me a few months later, during the red hair stage. I also have the eyebrow ring in this picture, although it's barely visible. Note the tights I'm wearing. Oh dear.


Here's me home for the weekend, this time sporting black hair. This photo also represents the first time my grandparents saw my eyebrow ring. I can't decide if my grandma is wagging her finger at the ring, or at the wee little brain inside her granddaughter's head that made her decide to pierce her face.


Now I'm on my way to a Cure concert in Pittsburgh. I'm shown here with my friend Kelly (Karrie and another friend from college also made the trip). We taped that lovely sign to the back of my 1989 maroon Chrysler LeBaron before we began the four-hour drive. Ah, youth.


And finally, the most awesome pair of shoes I've ever owned: silver hologram Doc Marten boots, purchased from the three-floor Doc Marten Department Store in London, where I spent three weeks taking a course my last year in college. As you can see, I wore these boots under my gown the day I graduated from college. Words cannot describe how much I love these boots. I still have them. Unfortunately, they don't quite fit under the restrictive canopy of "business casual." I know you're envious. If I didn't have my very own pair, I would be too!


And if you're interested, I recorded my mom's "Don't you want to be pretty???" outcry and added it here. Karrie thought you should hear my interpretation of the pain and agony in her voice. Poor mommy.

8 Responses to “I've Been Looking So Long At These Pictures of You”

  1. # Blogger Christine

    I'm with Alisha, you are too cute!

    And the, "don't you want to be pretty?!?" audio, laughing out loud.

    So, so funny.  

  2. # Blogger Marie

    Very cute, Kristi! So you were hard to live with? Maybe Jenny will do a guest post? ;-)

    You are very brave posting the college pics -- fortunately our scanner isn't hooked up, so I'm not tempted. I'd have to black out faces, as I have some very incriminating shots!!

    Funny audio clip... If your Mom ever finds this blog, you guys are SO dead meat!!  

  3. # Blogger Binulatti

    Brilliant! Oh, man such good times. One of my favorite stories to tell is of the secret trip to NYC to see NIN & MM while mom thought I was "visiting you at your dorm". How about the summer we spent driving to the midnight showing of The Crow ten thousand times? So much fun. Even though we thought we were such tortured, angst-ridden little death angels.

    PS - Thank you for acquiescing my need to her "PRETTY" the way only you can wail it :-)  

  4. # Blogger Shannon

    Absolutely love it! If I had a scanner, I'd scan in the college photo taken of me the day I gave myself a half-mohawk! "College photos" should be a meme. . .  

  5. # Blogger Ramona

    THAT was the funniest thing I've ever heard!!! I'm STILL laughing!
    And you had some very happenin' looks going there while at College, very pretty!  

  6. # Blogger Kristi

    Alisha-I'm glad you got a kick out of my photos. I love my Docs. I have several pairs in a variety of different colors. They're so comfortable. Youth is a trip, isn't it?

    Christine-Hee-Hee. Thanks!

    Marie-yeah, somehow living in what amounts to a room the size of a hall closet with another person doesn't work well for me. I need my space! And I don't think my mom has even the first clue of what a blog is, so I think we're safe!

    Karrie-Ahhh... good times. Good times. "Tell then Eric Draven sent you!"

    Shannon-glad you liked them. I'd love to see your faux-hawk. That rocks. And I agree: college photos would make a great meme.

    Ramona-that line rings in my ears all the time, and I laugh every time too.  

  7. # Blogger Geekwif

    Ah memories. I now begin to see why you don't wear pink. There was a time when I wouldn't wear anything but green and brown. Some kind of weird nature thing, I don't know. Now I wear pink occasionally, which I once swore I never would.

    I played the audio clip. How freaking hilarious!?! I think your voice went supersonic or something because my hubby always gets curious when I play audio on my computer but he didn't even seem to hear it.  

  8. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Keep up the good work » »  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly