Discovery Zone

I've discovered that pregnancy brings with it a whole host of changes to one's mental and physical state, some of them good, and some of them very, very bad. Now, I am not complaining about the negative changes, because mind you I fought tooth and nail for two years for this baby, and while I may bitch and moan about certain things pregnancy-related, I feel truly blessed to be where I am. But sometimes the hormones get the best of me. And, to be honest, I like to complain. Are you with me here?

1. The in-between stage sucks.

I think I'm officially at the point where neither my former pants/jeans nor my former work shirts/sweaters fit anymore. Some of the sweaters and shirts still "fit" per se, but make me look like the office skank. The problem here is that maternity clothes don't fit either. I don't yet have the belly to support the pants, and the shirts are too big as well, despite my boobs which have grown to the size of small planets. I have a few low-rise maternity pants that I wear for work, and these fit okay, but shirts are a real problem. Luckily, I work from home two days a week, so I only need to put together three work outfits a week, which is convenient, since three is the current number of clothing items that actually look decent on me.

2. Pregnant women have scary baby dreams.

At least I think I read this somewhere. Last night I had a dream that I was sitting on a bench in a park, and someone came up and shot me in the abdomen and the baby died. Saying that I woke up in a massive panic doesn't quite cover it. Luckily, I discovered that I had not been shot. Interpretations anyone?

3. The baby eats my brain sometimes.

I am normally an extremely anal-rententive person. I remember everything. Everything. Just ask my husband. However, I'm now forgetting things like you wouldn't believe. I've cooked things in the stove and then forgot to turn it off...for hours. This has happened twice.

4. I'm eating weird things.

Prior to getting pregnant (although "getting pregnant" doesn't quite cover IVF, does it? Hmmm... "prior to the science experiment which resulted in my pregnancy" sounds better) I didn't eat candy. Ever. If I wanted to snack, pretzels and popcorn were my thing. Now I'm funneling jelly beans (Jelly Belly-ha! ironic, huh?-and Starburst jelly beans to be exact) as if they were going to be my last meal on earth. Bizarre. Oh, and macaroni and cheese too.

5. I have developed an addictive personality.

I suppose "developed" isn't quite the right word, since that implies that this is something new. Let's say my addictive personality has magnified three-fold. As I mentioned, we have rented a doppler so we can listen to the baby's heartbeat at home whenever we want. Well, so addicted are we that my husband and I call it "crack." As in, "are you up for some crack tonight?" Then, we whip out the doppler, throw some ultrasound gel on it, and give it a go. The best part about it is that I can now find the baby's heartbeat in seconds.

10 Responses to “Discovery Zone”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    u know, they are all really pretty cute :)  

  2. # Blogger Marie

    Hee hee. Nodding head...

    Yeah, the in-between stage does suck. I wore my husband's boxers around the house in that stage. But it was summertime. I remember leaving the house being a problem...

    That dream was awful!

    The brain thing? Yeah. Some people (including my husband) would argue that it doesn't come back. I think it does though. I think it took me til the little guy's first birthday or so to feel like I had a grip again. You just have so many new things on your mind now, you can't help but be a little absent-minded!

    Jelly beans & mac-n-cheese?! Hmm. Must be the baby wants those things! When pregnant, my older sister craved the juice of canned pears -- not the pears, just the juice. How weird is that?

    I love that the home doppler thing works so well! That is sooo cool! I'd be getting me some baby crack every day too, if I were you!!!

    ;-)  

  3. # Blogger Christine

    I can't give you any advice or words of wisdom on the pregnancy stuff. But, may I suggest the toasted marshmallow jelly belly jelly beans. My favorites by far.  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Hey, don't feel like a complainer. You gotta talk about this stuff sometime!

    Some of these things you're talking about just sound like me on my off days. Like Marie said with the the baby "eating your brain", you just have tons of stuff on your mind. When I'm doing too much at once I tend to just lose track of some trains of thought. There's no baby eating this brain either! I usually just use the excuse that it's just the blonde in me though.

    The Doppler addiction seems a reasonable one. Better than many other addictions you could have! I want to hear it some time but if it's addictive maybe I better not ;) or I'll be over to your house to get my fix all the time!  

  5. # Blogger Shannon

    Kristi, if you haven't already read the March-August 2005 archives over at www.sundrymourning.com, you really should! She had a paragraph about cravings that slayed me when I first read it! And she talked about clothes not fitting in that early stage due to her small frame, so she may have some good suggestions for you.  

  6. # Blogger Binulatti

    My little niece or nephew can do anything his/her heart desires (even if that does mean turning you into a forgetful, jelly bean inhaling, ill-fitted doppler addict)...But I know you knew that already :-)

    PS - embrace the poncho!
    xoxo  

  7. # Blogger Kristi

    Clare-hee-hee. :)

    Marie-That is one funny craving! Pear juice! I'm hoping my brain does make a return sometime soon. I rather liked it, and I miss it now that it's gone. ;)

    Christine-Toasted marshmellow jelly beans..mmmmm

    Jenny-I wish I was blonde too, then I'd have double the excuses for losing my mind!

    Alisha-Jelly beans and popcorn. My two favorite things! And your patients can rent the doppler at www.babybeat.com. Mine is about $23 a month, and the best $23 I've ever spent!

    Shannon-Thanks for the link. I'm going to go check it out right now.

    Karrie-Yes, I've already realized my needs come second, but that's fine with me. And your poncho comment is spot on, because guess what I'm wearing today? ;)  

  8. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I like the idea of having a doppler at home, I imagine that that would be really fun. And good bonding time too!  

  9. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. »  

  10. # Anonymous Anonymous
Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly