Weird is as Weird Does

I was tagged by my blog pal Alisha to complete the 5 weird habits meme. After some deep contemplation, and a whittling down of a very expansive list, I have come up with 5, and only 5, which I will share with my reading public. Believe me, though, there are plenty more.

1. I cannot stand to have my fingernails grow, so I cut them down to the "quick." When I was little, I was a nail-biter. I would bite my fingernails constantly. My grandma tried everything to get me to stop, including painting my nails with this foul-tasting anti-nail-biting polish to make the whole process of chewing my nails less...appetizing. But I chewed right through it. I stopped biting my nails when I was a teenager, and instead resorted to cutting them down to the quick with a nail clippers each time one showed even the tiniest bit of white. I had a french manicure done the day before my wedding. I hated those fake tips things so much that I riped them off the next day. And this, my friends, is why I have the ugliest fingers on the planet.

2. I like to take scalding hot baths and showers. If my skin doesn't turn red, that means the water is too cool. When I take baths now, however, husband insists on putting this yellow rubber duckie he bought me in the tub with me so I don't cook our kid. This duck is meant to monitor the water temperature for bathing children, so you don't accidentally submerge your child into water the temperature of lava. If the word "Hot" appears on the duck's bottom, that means the water is too hot. Baths are a lot less fun now.

3. I don't like my food to touch on the plate, and I prefer to finish one food before starting another. I've always been amazed by people who load a little bit of peas, a little bit of mashed potatoes, and a little bit of chicken onto their fork, and then put it all in their mouth at the same time. Don't their tastebuds get confused? Anyone out there do this? Help me understand you!

4. I've never liked the bar scene, even when I was young enough to legitimately participate in the bar scene. Attending college in a small town with not much to do on the weekend presented a challenge for me. It was bars, frat parties, or...nothing. Give me a coffee shop and one or two close pals anyday.

5. I have a frequent nightmare that places me back in high school, standing in front of my locker, and not being able to remember the combination. The sense of panic I experience during this nightmare is unbelievable. I have probably had this same dream over 100 times. I have been out of high school for almost 12 years.

So there you have it: my freakishness laid out for the world to see. And now, if the following peeps would like to participate, I would love to read your answers:

Karrie
Dawn
Christine

6 Responses to “Weird is as Weird Does”

  1. # Blogger Marie

    Tee hee

    I did this one recently. It is fun to see what you don't know about others, huh? I had no idea about your fingernail thing.

    Love the rubber ducky thing! Love it.

    Regarding the food on the plate thing -- I know you're not alone. I, however, am one of the food co-minglers. I like to have the different tastes and textures together in my mouth. And if something is seasoned in an interesting way, I sometimes like to try other things on my plate with that seasoning, so combining them on the fork works out well.  

  2. # Blogger D

    #2 & #5...exactly me! I don't enjoy the bath unless I get out and look like I have a pair of red pants on. I love to bathe, I normally do it way more than showers, but since I can not longer boil myself I just shower.

    As far as the dream - I hate it! It is very stressful. I have it once every 2-3 months, the exact same one as you...strange!  

  3. # Blogger Kristi

    Marie-Definitely! Thanks for explaining the food co-mingling thing. That's always been a mystery to me!

    D-LOL. We have so many similarities! I miss my baths so much!

    Cara-You know, I can't remember how I stopped. I think I may have just replaced my teeth with the clippers!  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Enjoyed a lot! » » »  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous
  6. # Blogger Suzanne

    "I like to take scalding hot baths and showers."

    Yes, yes, and yes. My husband can't stand it, and I definitely dial it down since I shower with the littlest two (beats trying to squeeze bathtime in at night), but when I'm alone? I need it steaming. Even in the summer.

    "I don't like my food to touch on the plate, and I prefer to finish one food before starting another."

    Yep, same here, although not as much on the finish one before starting the other anymore. My husband likes to make my plate for me, and I always smile sweetly and wait for him to turn so I can push everything back to its respective corner.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly