And On the 7th Day, My Buns Rested

Today I am exactly 10 weeks pregnant. Today also marks the day that my embryo officially becomes a fetus. The baby is the size of a walnut, has all his/her organs, is growing fingernails and toenails, and he/she can now kick and swallow. All of this is completely amazing to me. I'm sharing a body with another human being!

This morning also marked another milestone in my house. I officially retired my progesterone needles, and my battered and bruised buns have been granted a much-needed stay of execution. Every morning at 7am, since the first week in December, my dear husband and I have met in the dining room of my house for a date with a vial, a syringe, two needles, some alcohol, and a bandaid. He would shoot up my rear end with progesterone to build up the lining of the uterus so the baby would implant and begin to draw what it needs to develop from it. At ten weeks, the placenta takes over, and so this morning marked my last shot. Yay! Now we can sleep in past 7am on the weekends!

The results of my first round of bloodwork at my OB-GYN came in, and luckily everything looks good so far. I am slightly anemic, though, which the nurse explained to me was very normal in pregnant women. The baby apparently saps all your nutrients, and leaves you with less than you need. So, I'm now taking an iron supplement, in addition to my prenatal vitamin.

And we tried the fetal doppler we rented for the first time last night. We did it knowing full well we likely wouldn't be able to hear the baby's heartbeat yet (this happens most often for the first time at 12 weeks), and even though we tried for over an hour, we didn't have any luck. We did hear some sounds that indicate I may be growing an alien instead of a baby, though. So that added some excitement to our Saturday night.

One week from today, we're telling our families.

8 Responses to “And On the 7th Day, My Buns Rested”

  1. # Blogger Ramona

    Yay! No more pokes in the bum!
    Glad to hear that your pregnancy is going well and I can't wait to hear about your familys' reaction to the news!  

  2. # Blogger D

    I am glad that your butt is getting a well desearved break. You've held out this long telling your family? I am no good at keeping my own secrets, I can keep other peoples -just not my own.

    10 weeks - the double digit sounds nice!  

  3. # Blogger Marie

    Yippee! Glad you're done with the shots!  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    yay baby!! :)

    how are you going to tell them? Take them out to dinner, have a family dinner?  

  5. # Blogger Kristi

    Ramona-I can't wait to share it!

    Alisha-Yes, my tushy was very grateful for its rest this morning. And you'll get a full account of "the telling" for sure!

    D-Yeah, I didn't want to tell my family until 12 weeks, initially. But my Grandma is having surgery when I'll be in the middle of my 11th week, and I wanted to tell her beforehand.

    Marie-Thanks! Me too!

    Clare-We're having my extended family over for a "pre-Valentine's Day brunch" at my house. Everyone except our parents will be there, since they live out of town. So, we're calling them after we tell the extended family.  

  6. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Hooray for finishing that phase!  

  7. # Anonymous Anonymous
  8. # Anonymous Anonymous
Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly