No Day But Today

My dear friend Caryl and I love the musical Rent. I've seen it seven times, and I know she's seen it at least twice. She went to see the movie version the day it opened. And I went to see it the next day. Then, on the following Monday, we compared notes.

Having seen the musical so many times, we were really apprehensive about how the movie version of our favorite show would be handled. Would we even recognize the characters we loved so much? However, once we read in an article that most of the original Broadway cast was appearing in the movie, we felt slightly better.

And I was really impressed with the movie. The director didn't try to add much of anything to the storyline that didn't already appear in the stage version. And what he did add was subtle, and actually pretty clever. During Roger's "Glory," the screen flashed back to Roger's days as a musician, performing on stage, alternated with scenes of Roger and his girlfriend April (whom you never actually see in the stage version). Roger contracts AIDS from April, but in the stage version, you never see how April contracted AIDS. In the movie version, you see her shooting heroin.

I also really enjoyed the use of the stage version's main set (the twisted tangle of metal and Christmas lights) as the backdrop for Maureen's stage performance. In the stage version, this set doesn't move from the stage very often, and is as much a part of the musical as the characters are, but obviously in a movie, the set needs to change, so it was nice to see the director use that set as a part of the movie.

And Maureen and JoAnn's engagement party as the setting for "Take Me Baby" was another neat addition to the movie version that wasn't a part of Rent on stage.

If you love the musical version of Rent, do not be afraid to see the movie version. The director stayed true to the plot, characters, and amazing music of the musical, and the original cast reprising their roles only enhanced the movie. And even if you haven't ever seen the musical version, go see the movie. You won't be disappointed.

Quick IVF Update: Today is 7DP3DT. For those of you not hip to trying-to-conceive lingo, that stands for "Seven Days Past Three Day Transfer" (meaning, it's been seven days since my embryo transfer, which occured three days after egg retrieval). I feel absolutely normal. In the past two years of trying for a baby, I've learned not to overanalyze every twinge and tweak I feel in my belly, and as of now, 10 days after egg retrieval, I can't say I feel anything out of the ordinary. I'm trying to stay busy and to stay positive, the latter of which is much harder than the former. And most importantly, I'm trying to take one day at a time, and not think beyond today.

One of my most favorite songs in Rent (and they are all good) is "Another Day." The message is simple. Take one day at a time. Here are the lyrics:

"I can't control my destiny
I trust my soul
My only goal is just
To be.

There's only now
There's only here
Give in to love
Or live in fear
No other path
No other way
No day but today..."

3 Responses to “No Day But Today”

  1. # Blogger Marie

    The message in that song is a good one for all of us, huh? I haven't seen Rent in any form... but there's something to be said for living one day at a time & counting your blessings every single day!  

  2. # Blogger Thalia

    I think you're doing incredibly well with the not obsessing. I've had Les Mis in my head for weeks since Julia Hippogriffs posted about it. Hopefully I'll drag the husband to see Rent while we're in the US then I can start singing that in my head instead!  

  3. # Blogger Kristi

    Amy-Believe me. I cringed at first too. But I ended up loving it. And as far as audience participation goes, while there was no "Mooing" during Maureen's performance, quite a few people we singing along (including me), as Caryl mentioned. It was great!

    Marie-Yup. I wish I could do this more often.

    Caryl-Four times! I stand corrected. And I can't wait to buy it when it comes out on DVD too.

    Alisha-you need to see Rent! Go and see it if it's touring near you. You won't be disappointed. Or, just get the CD. The music is great. And I'm glad you like the new design!

    Thalia-Oh, I'm obsessing. Don't think I'm not. I'm just forcibly trying to prevent myself from doing so. Is it Sunday yet? Les Mis is great as well. I saw it about 9 years ago in London and loved it. Definitely go and see Rent while you're here. You're going to be in NY right?  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly