I'm Thankful

In the five months I've been writing this blog, I've used my posts to highlight small successes in my kitchen as I attempt to turn myself into a decent baker, to wax poetic (or not-so-poetic) about the people, places and things I love, to vent on the experiences of my IVF journey, to bitch and to complain about things that bug me, and sometimes, to blab about nothing at all.

Today, in the spirit of tomorrow's Thanksgiving holiday here in the States, I'm going to give thanks for the blessings I have. And while it's very easy to lose sight of them, when so much of my life has turned inward lately, I truly have much to be thankful for.

I'm thankful for my incredible family. I admit a slight bias, but they are the most generous, loving, self-sacrificing group of people I've ever encountered. They have their faults, as does everyone, but I wouldn't be the person I am today without them. They make me feel loved every day of my life, and I realize how lucky I am to have this.

I'm thankful for my husband, who for the past two years of infertility treatments and the emotional upheavals that have followed has been nothing but loving and supportive of me. It's strange, but I think going through this process together has brought us closer. I'm still very aware that no one calls a married couple a "family," and that what we both want more than anything is to have something that's seemingly unachievable, but I truly believe that infertility has made us stronger people both as individuals and as a couple.

I'm thankful for my relative good health, and the fact that my Crohn's disease hasn't acted up in the two years since we've been trying to conceive, which would have made this process so much more difficult. Infertility and Crohn's disease aren't a walk in the park, but I'm not going to die from either one of them. So many others aren't as lucky.

And last but not least, I'm thankful to all of you who read this blog, and who lately have offered me words of encouragement in my IVF journey. This isn't an infertility blog, and I know many of you are blessed with your own children, yet you still plod through my frequent "emotionally charged" posts and offer kind words and a "shoulder" to lean on. I can't tell you how much this means to me.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

7 Responses to “I'm Thankful”

  1. # Blogger Ramona

    Wishing you a very Happy Thanksgiving! You're right. You do have a lot to be thankful for...we all do!
    I just want to clarify something, and maybe I'm doing it because my own fertility came to an abrupt halt. A married couple DOES make a family!
    At least in my books it does!
    (You've touched upon something I've wanted to blog about!)
    Have a wonderful day, and as always, I wish you all the best with your IVF.  

  2. # Blogger Geekwif

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Funny, I was just thinking about that very thing today (the married couple not being considered a family) and feeling really sorry for myself. Thanks for a great post and helping to put things into perspective. I really do have some wonderful things to be incredibly thankful for. We all do.  

  3. # Blogger Unknown

    Happy Thanksgiving to you as well! I will be visiting more, and am glad I have you Linked. A very good site and a touching post.  

  4. # Blogger Marie

    I hope you had a wonderful celebration, Kristi. Much to be thankful for, indeed.  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.  

  6. # Blogger Kristi

    Kross-Eyed: You're right, a married couple is a family. I see you blogged about this topic too. I think it's such an important one, because while kids are wonderful, they shouldn't be the glue that binds the "family" together. And thank you for the good IVF wishes too.

    Geekwif-I'm glad my post helped. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving as well.

    Michael-Thanks for visiting again, and I'm glad you liked my post.

    Alisha and Marie-same to you!

    Amy-Thanks for your words, as always.  

  7. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Very nice site! » »  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly