Two Transferred

I'm back from my embryo transfer and all went really, really well. Of the 8 embryos they kept (and didn't freeze) from Saturday, 7 of them matured into 8-cell embryos, which is exactly the growth they are looking for at this stage. The doctors then grade the embryos on a scale of 1-4, with 4 being the best. Many (not sure of the exact number) of my 7 8-cell embryos were a grade 4, the absolute best they could be.

So....based on my age (young, by IVF standards) and my size, they decided to transfer back two of the 8-cell, Grade 4 embryos back to me. One of them was even compacting, which means the cells were showing a progressed stage of development and melding together, which is a good thing!

If I was older, bigger, and if my embryos weren't as good a quality as they were, they would have transferred back three, with the thought that three so-so embryos equates to two really good ones. But given the factors I just described, two it was!

My doctor was really happy. He said the embryos he was transferring back to me were the equivalent of receiving two A+s on a test.

The process was completely fascinating to watch. First, they squirted the ultrasound gel on my stomach, and got the wand in a position where they could clearly see my uterus. My doctor inserted the catheter, and then the IVF tech left the room, entered the "million dollar egg lab" (as my doctor put it) retrieved the embryos, and my doctor slowly injected them. We were actually able to see the tiny little dots positioned in fluid in my uterus. We have a picture of it. It was totally amazing.

I rested there on the table for about 20 minutes. I'm under orders to rest today and tomorrow, and they recommended I don't go to work tomorrow, so I'm not. Then, on Thursday, I can resume normal activity, but I can't do anything that will elevate my heart rate. I'm supposed to avoid all exercise, not lift heavy things, avoid performing labor-intensive household chores, such as vacuuming (darn!), take stairs very slowly, etc. Basically, the nurse who went over my instructions told me not to do anything in the next two weeks that would cause me to think, if this doesn't work, "if only I hadn't done this or that." So, I'm going to try and take very good care of myself, slow down my normal fast walking pace, not exercise, avoid caffeine, etc.

My pregnancy blood test is on Sunday, December 18th.

Based on what the doctor told me today, we have a good chance. And at this point, that's all I can ask.

2 Responses to “Two Transferred”

  1. # Blogger Dawn

    That's gerat! And...since they're getting A's already, I think that your kid(s) is going to be smart! Boy, how can I get my doctor to prescribe 'no housekeeping'?! I think I'd pay my copay twice if he'd give me two days off work!  

  2. # Blogger Christine

    Yay! Take care and stay off those feet as much as possible.

    That's really great news.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly