Quiet

This post on bliss by Marie over at PractiGal has made me contimplate how much I truly love quiet. And having quiet on a Sunday morning is a rarity for me. Husband is away on a golfing weekend with his friends. He left yesterday morning and won't be back until tonight. So waking up on this Sunday morning the way that I did doesn't happen very often.

Husband loves his tv. And husband loves his sports. First thing every weekend morning (weekday mornings are spent rushing out the door), he comes down the stairs, throws himself on the couch and flips on the tv. The object of his rapt attention is most often SportsCenter. Did the Yankees win last night? How many games out are the Red Sox? Are any of the players on his fantasy footall team injured?

Now, I enjoy watching tv too. I will confess to watching quite a few reality tv shows (Amazing Race and Apprentice: Martha Stewart among them), but once these shows end, I turn off the tv. And on the weekend? I'd like the tv to stay silent the whole two days.

Our lives are very busy. Weekdays are spent at work. Husband is a teacher with several after school commitments. I run for about an hour after work, come home, make (read: microwave leftovers) for dinner, watch a little telly (husband a little more than a little), and then go upstairs to read and fall asleep. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. On the weekends, I want none of this routine present. I spend my weekends in the pursuit of quiet. This weekend, particularly today, I got my wish.

I awoke about 6:30am to the sound of rain on my roof. This is normally a sound I would love. In the past, I would listen for a minute, roll over, and fall back to sleep. But since our basement flooded during a rainstorm back in July, and again to a lesser degree last Friday, the sound of rain causes worry. I got up, checked the basement for water, and was very relieved to find none. I was wide awake at that point, so I decided to stay up.

It wasn't yet light out. I fed the cats who were milling about my legs in the kitchen. I washed some of the produce I had purchased at the public market yesterday morning. I started reading the paper. I brushed my cats, including Louie, the skittish one, who is always so much more calm and relaxed and social when husband isn't around (they have a "strained" relationship). The rain subsided, and I went for my morning run. The rain started again, midway through, so I took that as an opportunity to improve my pace. Drenched though I was upon returning home, I didn't let the rain affect the peace of the morning.

I showered, cleaned up the kitchen a little, and then finally turned on my computer. It's around 10am now. The house is silent. And the tv hasn't been on once today. My life isn't always blissful. In fact, it's most often not, and it's about to get exponentially more complicated. But I'll take the little snippets of quiet, external and internal, when I can get them. And appreciate them for what they are.

4 Responses to “Quiet”

  1. # Blogger Geekwif

    Mmmm. I love days like that. I hope the rest of your day is every bit as peaceful as this morning and that you can carry a bit of that bliss through the rest of the week.  

  2. # Blogger Marie

    Sounds heavenly Kristi! Don't you want to bottle it up so you can take a whif when you need one?

    I love silence!!  

  3. # Blogger Marie

    "about to get exponentially more complicated"???  

  4. # Blogger Ramona

    I love the quiet too. Just peace and quiet. But you've got us all wondering now: what did you mean? "Exponentially more complicated" Sounds like somethings up!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly