Knitting the Night Away

I have a confession to make. I love to knit. I came across Crazy Aunt Purl the other day (go visit her blog for a serious laugh. She has about a zillion readers!), and I thought to myself, I'm going to come out of the closet. She's confessed her love for knitting on the internet. In fact, she writes a knitting blog! I too, can come clean. I knit and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Knitting seems to have this odd stigma attached to it. Or at least it did. Knitting was something you saw your oddball neighbor with 17 cats doing when you went to retrieve the ball you accidentally kicked into her yard when you were a child. Knitting produced those horrible, itchy, too-big sweaters in horrible colors great aunt Harriet gave you as "gifts" for your birthday and for the holidays. Therefore, knitting couldn't possibly be something you enjoyed doing as a hip-n-happening 20-something, right? Wrong. I knit and I love it.

I started knitting when I was a little girl. My great aunt (not Harriet) taught me to knit around age 10, and I knit scarves, baby blankets for my younger cousins, potholders, and many other square or rectangular objects. I was an active knitter until about age 14 or so. Then, I dropped it.

A few years ago, I picked up knitting again. A friend and I took a beginner's knitting class so I could get reacquainted with the sticks, and so she could learn, since she was a knitting...virgin. Since then, I've knit blankets for friends' babies, more scarves, a poncho, and I'm halfway through my first pair of socks (yay! Something non-rectangular!).

For me, knitting is soothing. I love the fact that I can create something so pretty with just two (or sometimes more) sticks and a skein of yarn. I love the satisfaction of making something with my hands (more or less). It's calming, and allows me to destress after a hectic day. And knitting is apparently the new black. I'm seeing young knitters everywhere. Knitting classes advertised in trendy city publications. Knitting stores sprouting up in shopping plazas.

It's been a hot summer here, and I haven't had the desire to knit too often in the last month or so. But fall is coming, and I plan on knitting my way through it.

7 Responses to “Knitting the Night Away”

  1. # Blogger Ramona

    I'm glad you found Crazy Aunt Purl's blog, I've been reading her site for a while now and she's SO funny!
    Have a great weekend!  

  2. # Blogger Marie

    And Kevin LOVES the blankie you made for him!

    Knitting is definitely all the rage now. I think I may have to ask my mother-in-law to teach me.

    Did I just say that?

    Those hats are too cute!!  

  3. # Blogger MsPrufrock

    I thought knitting was the hip thing to do now anyway? I was under the perception that the stigma faded as soon as the "cool" people like Julia Roberts and Cameron Diaz started knitting. There is a definite line of cool knitting versus old school knitting that should not be crossed though.  

  4. # Blogger Dawn

    Knitting is HOT as Paris would say.

    All the cool chicks are doing it. (so you were in on the IN thing before the rest of knew knitting was IN )

    I crocheted for years, but I learned to knit in January. I knit scarves, tons of scarves.

    Here via Michele. :)  

  5. # Blogger Geekwif

    I've never learned to knit, but I would love to learn. My mother taught me to crochet when I was little and I would crochet dresses for my Barbie dolls. My most recent endeavor is crocheting fun fur scrunchies. Very cute!

    There's a new place here called the Yarn Cafe that sells yarn, scones, and wine (among other things), and they have knitting classes. I've been considering taking one.

    Thanks for the link to Crazy Aunt Purl! She sounds like a great read. I'll be visiting her for sure!  

  6. # Blogger Kristi

    Kross-Eyed: Isn't she hysterical? She should write a book. Love her.

    Marie: I'm so glad he loves his blanket. That really makes me happy! And I would be happy to teach you to knit if you don't end up asking your MIL.

    WL: No! I won't choose. I'll knit your kitties a blanket, and then maybe you'll believe me.

    MsPrufrock: No orange and yellow knitted doilies for me. I definitely know what you mean about "the line." My MIL crochets doll clothes. God help us all. And thanks for stopping by!

    Dawn: Ohh... I was a trend-setter and didn't even know it! LOL. Thanks for visiting.

    Amy-I'm so glad you like Crazy Aunt Purl. She is great, and her following is huge, for obvious reasons. I'll have to check out Mimi Smartypants now.

    Geefwif-Oh, definitely take a knitting class. They're so much fun, and you can pick up some good tips. And anyplace that sells yarn AND wine has to be great!  

  7. # Blogger Suzanne

    I love to knit! Actually, I think I picked it up about the same time you were writing this entry. I've made hats, scarves, sweaters, and blankets, but I've yet to attempt socks. Every year, I knit my best friend a new scarf. I have two problems though. No time anymore (because if I have time to knit, I have time to be doing a thousand others things too) and I have an insatiable need to knit unusual patterns that require long complicated instructions. But, since I'm impatient too, I usually get bored halfway through said unusual patterns and put the projects away unfinished. Haven't really found a happy medium there...  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly