Silent Night

Today, the hubs heads back to work after a two-week break. Mamacita spent a week in town, but she left to head back home on New Year's Eve.

You know what this means, don't you?

My free childcare has abandoned me. I am once again flying solo with the hellcats.

It's no secret that I am not a big fan of the holidays. Four sets of parents means four Christmases and a whole lot of gift-buying, which occupies virtually every free minute of every December, each and every year. Then there's the schlepping of kids here there and everywhere, and the perpetual exhaustion each night as we arrive home, hurriedly get the kids in bed, and collapse on the couch.


But the past two weeks have had their perks, namely, I haven't had to do much of anything with the kids, which sounds horrible, but which was oh-so-very-necessary. Now, of course I did meal-prep, fed the twins, gave baths, did laundry and cleanup, and played with them, but the vast majority of the day, someone else was "in charge" of them. All of them. Which allowed me to catch up on household projects (I finally-finally-unpacked, set up, and cleaned my office, cleaned the babies' rooms, framed some photos for the walls, etc.).

I also enjoyed a much-needed break from work. I finished up some freelance work before Christmas, and while I have several more freelance projects starting in a week or so, my online classes were on a two-week break for the holidays, which meant loads of free time for me. I watched three movies on DVD, something I haven't had the time to do since summer, and I'm in the middle of reading a book (one without pictures!), and again, something I haven't had the time for in months.

And on Monday of last week, I enjoyed the best Christmas present my husband has ever given me.

On Christmas morning, I opened a series of envelopes, each of which held a piece of paper that provided a clue as to my gift. One said, "This is something you really need." Another said, "Pack your bathing suit." Another said, "You may want to bring a book." You get the idea. The last envelope said that I was going to this hotel near my house for the night by myself on December 28th. He also provided a gift card for dinner and breakfast the next morning.

Allow me to tell you that I almost whipped off his socks and started kissing his feet right then and there. This was exactly what I had been wanting and needing for months. I contemplated leaving right then and there, but being Christmas morning and all, I decided to stick it out for another few days.

When Monday came, I packed my bag (swimsuit for the pool and hot tub, two books-I like having options-a magazine, and the stash of snacks the hubs also provided for my stay). I checked in, threw myself down on the hotel bed and...did absolutely nothing. The soundtrack to my life (screaming, crying, whining, and "Mooooooommmmy") was absent. I listened to the hum of the heater in the room, and that was all.

I.Was.In.Heaven.

I invited my friends to join me for dinner, and we enjoyed an awesome meal, complete with a Pumpkin Pie Martini for me, in the hotel's restaurant. One had brought her bathing suit, since I mentioned that I planned on going in the hottub, so she and I headed there after dinner, while another friend stayed and kept us company.

The rest of the night was spent in total and complete peace and quiet. I read, surfed the web, watched a wee bit o' tv, and went to bed around 11:30. Luci wasn't there to wake me up with her screaming in the middle of the night, so I slept the entire night through.

The next morning, I enjoyed a leisurely carb-tastic breakfast, checked out around 11am, went shopping with some gift cards I had received for Christmas, and then arrived back home around 2.

I didn't diaper a butt, prepare a meal, give a bath, dress, undress, feed, carry, soothe, play with, or yell at a single child for 24 straight hours.

I may make this an annual, semi-annual, monthly, or weekly occurrence. This "vacation" was worth whatever the hubs spent and more.

Of course, now it's back to reality. But it's also a brand new year, and one that I know will be better than the one before.

8 Responses to “Silent Night”

  1. # Anonymous Ness at Drovers Run

    OMG what I wouldn't give for a stay in a hotel like that. To be honest, I've been eyeballing local hotels (one in particular) wondering how I can justify having a 24hrs (although I'm thinking 48hrs might be better) to myself, with out feeling guilty about the cost :)  

  2. # Blogger Jamie

    What an amazing gift!!! I am forwarding a link to this post to Mike immediately. :)  

  3. # Blogger Unknown

    What an awesome opportunity for you! I hope you get many more like it.

    ;-)  

  4. # Blogger Mom24

    That's awesome. I'm so glad that you got the break you needed, and that you're married to someone who knows you so well that he really knew what you needed--double blessing.

    Good luck finding balance this year.  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Lemme borrow that book when you're done, please. KB  

  6. # Blogger MsGraysea

    I am so happy for you! What a precious gift you were given.
    Happy New Year.....  

  7. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I am so happy that you enjoyed your night off and you feel more like you!! I am up for some hot-tubbing anytime... have swimsuit will travel :). Remember your life will soon be easier than your singleton peers because your children will play together and you will not be the sole source of entertainment in their lives... it will feel like FOREVER before it happens, but when it does, you will think it was the blink of an eye. Let me know if there is a Tues/Thur that you can get together over break. I can bring my twinadoes to you (If you don't mind a little more havoc in your house!!  

  8. # Blogger Jeni

    Um, I am pretty sure that what you have described IS heaven. Soooo jealous, but so glad you got a well deserved break. Amen to making this a regular occurence. Your husband gives awesome gifts.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly