Closing Time

Nine years and five months ago, in May of 2000, a 1925-built, three-bedroom colonial with leaded glass windows, crown moulding, a fireplace, a breakfast nook, a screened-in porch, and a small in-ground pool went on the market.

We were the first people to look at the house. I was 24. The hubs was 28. We had been house-hunting for awhile. The real estate market was crazy in my area at the time. We had been outbid on two different houses in the same town by people bidding over asking price. Our agent at the time got us in to see the house before anyone else did. We fell in love with what we saw, and put in our offer that night. It was accepted the following day.

Two months later, we and our three cats moved in.

A few weeks later, we were engaged.

Although we had been living together in an apartment for two years prior to buying our house, this home...this home that we both love so dearly, is where we truly began.


This is the living room whose paint color I chose and which everyone, including the hubs, told me was hideously dark and would make the room look smaller.

I held my ground (shocking, I know) and we have received compliments on the color from the naysayers from the day it went on the walls.

This is our dining room, the room that held the table at which the hubs and I sat to play hundreds of thousands of games of Scrabble, at which I usually wiped the floor with him.

This is the ottoman in our living room on which four years ago I sat sobbing my eyes out while a nurse told me over the phone that after two years of trying to conceive, multiple IUIs, and one IVF, Isabella was on her way.

This is my kitchen's breakfast nook, one of my favorite spots in my house, where two years later I sat in utter disbelief upon hearing that my FET had, indeed worked, and that I was pregnant once again.


This is the room we brought Isabella home to


And this is the room we brought her brother and sister home to (although admittedly, it looked more like this until the twins were about 4 months old).

You all know why I love our house so much. And yet on Tuesday of next week, it will no longer belong to us.

We're moving today and renting our new house for a few days before closing on the sale of our house and the purchase of the new one. I am shipping the kids over to my grandma's this morning so she and my aunt can watch them for the day. And then I will return to my house of nine years, load up the truck with the boxes containing my life, and move them to a house that's as foreign to me as another planet. It will be awhile before the new house becomes a home.

Yesterday I was in the new house alone for the first time. I was waiting for someone from the company we had clean our house on Wednesday to return and fix the faucet one of the staff had inadvertently broken. I was moping around the empty house, and while I was a bit excited about the space in this new house, what I was really thinking is that this house was not my house. I looked out my bedroom window, and in the backyard a female deer was lounging under a tree. My house is in a suburban neighborhood very near the city, and nowhere near a park or forest or anywhere you might normally find deer.

But more interesting to me than the sight of a deer chilling out in my backyard was the fact that a single ladybug was clinging to the glass on the outside window pane.


So that either means that I'm pregnant again (God help me, and also completely impossible), or it means that while I am going to miss my old house and my neighbors (especially my incredible next-door neighbors) terribly, everything is eventually going to be alright.


Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.
~Green Day

16 Responses to “Closing Time”

  1. # Blogger In Due Time

    Can I just say I am totally jealous you are moving? We're renting for AT LEAST one more year. Sigh.

    Once y'all get moved in, let me know if the kids rooms are staying the same theme and I'll get these paintings done before Christmas. I PROMISE! lol

    The house will become a home soon enough, just you watch and see. :-)

    xo  

  2. # Blogger Rachel

    As perpetual renters (at least until we leave the big city), I am starting to get jealous of people who have really put down roots. But then I think about growing so attached to a beautiful house and having to leave and I think maybe we'll be just fine putting it off for a while.

    A very beautiful post.  

  3. # Blogger MsGraysea

    Oh Kristi, this post really brought tears to my eyes and took me back to how I have have felt on the eve of every move I've ever made. How nice you had those lovely neighbors, and may that friendship stay with you and there be new neighbors to add to your mix.
    Wishing you an easy move and that soon you will feel settled.  

  4. # Blogger Mom24

    Your home was beautiful, you'll be glad you have those pictures. It will be different, it will take time, but at least at this new home you know you can stay...truly put down roots. It will fill strange at first, be patient. Someone told me once it takes a year to truly settle in. At the time we had just moved and it was not at all what I wanted to hear, but looking back, there was a lot of truth to it.

    Good luck. I know this will be a wonderful new beginning.  

  5. # Blogger Marie

    CHEERS to new beginnings!!  

  6. # Blogger sashabro

    beautiful post. Totally not the point, but the quote is by Semisonic, not Green Day:)

    Good luck with everything. You will love the new place.  

  7. # Anonymous Ness

    I have 3 things to say:

    1. As always I love your posts. Awesome, detailed, heart felt, and well, for want of a better adjective Great!

    2. That ladybird was a sign. Everything IS going to be okay.

    3. The mat/carpet/round floor rug in the twins room, OMG MY GOD I LOVE IT!!!!! I nearly leapt out of my seat when I saw it. I don't generally respond to rugs like this (no really I don't) and I was like - that mat is perfect! In everyway! I would love nothing more than to sit down in the middle of it, cross legged and pretend to MEDITATE on that thing, it's that great! Going to post this comment and go back to look at it again, because day-yam it floats my boat.  

  8. # Anonymous staging professionals in Toronto

    Hi. Interesting reading and wonderful pictures. I don't wonder that you fell in love with this house. It has really nice atmosphere. It must be hard to leave this place and I believe that you had spent great years in it. Moreover, the color of living room is fine. Good luck with moving!

    Regards,
    Ella  

  9. # Anonymous Lis Garrett

    Aw . . . and it WILL be okay.

    Good luck and well wishes for you all!  

  10. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    Your old house is very cute and I'm glad you guys had such happy memories there, but just imagine all of the great memories you will have in the new house -- like the twins' first birthday party! The whole moving process is so daunting. Hopefully it will feel more like your home when you get your furniture in. We are going to start moving some of our stuff in this weekend and are very excited. Hope the move goes well!  

  11. # Blogger Jeni

    Those are some great photos of your old house, and wonderful memories to go with them. Good luck with the move and the making of new memorable moments.  

  12. # Blogger Sunny

    What a beautiful tribute to a lovely house. I'm sure it's bittersweet to leave.

    I wish I was in love with ours that way. I've never really been that attached to a house, even the one my parents owned for 25 years that I grew up in. I was surprised to find myself near tears when my parents said they are considering selling their vacation/investment property in the Caymans... those are the walls that mean the most to me, for some reason.

    But I digress. Congratulations on the new chapter of your life, may you have many happy new memories!  

  13. # Blogger Veronica

    That was a great post!

    You'll be making wonderful memories in the new house, you can trust me on that.

    Less than a week for my own closing!  

  14. # Blogger Hopeful Mother

    A heart-felt post for a heart-filled home. May your new one be filled with just as many great memories.  

  15. # Blogger Christine

    What a bittersweet time for you and the family! I am absolutely positive that once you get unpacked and meet some neighbors, this place will feel like home too. It's hard moving on, especially when your first house is as lovely as it is. Be good to yourself. Do some baking, even of the slice and bake variety, put some color on the walls, and you watch... :)

    Hugs to you!  

  16. # Blogger Chastity

    Good luck, Kristi! I'm sorry you're feeling a little down about the whole situation, but that's probably totally normal. You've gone through many milestones in that house, and I can't blame you for wanting to hold tight.

    By the way, my feed reader is not telling me when you're updating lately...not sure why. I've missed several posts!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly