A Couple Things

I've been dwelling in the house of the sick for the past few days. First Nicholas fell victim to a cold, then I caught it, followed by Luci, and then Isabella. Each of us is our own feverish and distinct puddle of snot, tears, and used tissues. As you can imagine, it isn't pretty. Luci, my nap-phobic, still-awake-several-times-a-week-in-the-middle-of-the-night little girl, took a four-hour nap on Saturday, beating her previous record by two whole hours. The twins have napped longer than two hours maybe three or four times in their lives. Most naps are less than 1.5 hours long. Poor sick baby.

We finally found out last Friday that we may close on our house this Friday. I say "may" because we're still in negotiations with the people buying our house. There is no way given our situation that we can have our house packed by Friday afternoon at 1pm (when we're scheduled to close). We asked for a few hours on Saturday morning to move our remaining stuff out and to clean up our house with the help of family and friends we have lined up to help us (we're not using movers), but the buyers of our house want to move Saturday morning too. I'm hopeful that our lawyers can sort out an agreement that works for both of us. If not, we may have to put off closing.

The good part is that the house we're moving into is vacant, and we are taking possession of the house prior to closing on Wednesday of this week (assuming that this is still possible even if we don't close on Friday). We wanted a few days of pre-possession so we could have the house professionally cleaned before we move in all our stuff, and so that we can bring things over gradually in the days prior to the big move over the weekend. I am so glad the the end of living out of boxes is in sight. I'm anxious to get into the new house, but at the same time, I am so sad about leaving our current one.

My new online teaching job begins in two weeks. I am in the preparation stage now, and I have a lot of work to get done before my classes begin. I need to line up some childcare help for a few hours a few days a week in the afternoons. I won't be able to stuff my work into the available cracks of the day with this new job, and I will need concentrated time in which to accomplish it. The job is going to be incredibly time-consuming for awhile, and frankly, I am very worried about having the time to do it.

And one week from Thursday, these two



are turning One.Year.Old.

Is it possible that a year passed by so quickly?

Assuming we're able to close on our house as we expect to, their party will take place a week from Sunday at our new house. I am so excited to finally have the space to accommodate my large family.

The theme?

Thing 1 and Thing 2 from Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat.

They will also be dressing as the destructive duo for Halloween, and their big sister will be The Cat in the Hat.

Frankly, given their spit-fire personalities, I can't think of a more appropriate theme to celebrate their first year of life.

I am making the twins' costumes, but I'm having a very hard time finding all-red sleepers, or at least mostly red sleepers where I can cover up a design or image with the "Thing 1 and Thing 2" white circles. I've checked Target, Wal-Mart, Macy's, Sears, JC Penny's, BRU, and Buy, Buy Baby. Any other ideas?

What are you and/or your kiddos dressing up as for Halloween?

11 Responses to “A Couple Things”

  1. # Blogger Mom24

    I'm sorry you're all sick. Jacob's pretty sick right now too and I'm spending most of my time googling "swine flu symptoms".

    Here's hoping the people who bought the house are compassionate about closing. Just think soon it will all be over.

    How exciting (and overwhelming and all that) about your new job. Good luck getting everything lined up.

    I love the idea for the twin's birthday. Too cute. Would it be possible to find white sleepers and dye them? Just a thought.  

  2. # Anonymous Lis Garrett

    I love what Isabella and the twins are dressing up as - clever!

    I hope you all start to feel better soon and things will magically fall into place. :-)  

  3. # Blogger Jesser

    Gah. Sorry about all that house stuff. The logistics can be so complicated! And of course about the sick stuff too! Good luck to you guys.

    I love the Halloween costumes! Such a great idea! No idea what Tabby will be yet. She has requested several things ... and keeps going back to Ballerina. Nice because we already have her clothes for "dance" but terrible because it is almost always FREEZING/SNOWY here on halloween. :P

    Would this one work? http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=6269&vid=1&pid=679734&scid=679734052  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I hope everyone is feeling better soon! We're finally seeing the end of the sick tunnel over here- last week was NOT fun. Yuck!

    I hope the lawyers get things figured out, and closing goes off without a hitch!

    We did thing 1 & thing 2 last year- and I couldn't find sleepers, so I ended up with red sweat pants & turtlenecks. It worked great- especially since it was 80 degrees here last halloween. (I also spray painted their hair blue instead of wigs since I couldn't imagine them keeping the wigs on. Brody still loves seeing pics of his blue hair.)

    This year, we will be a baseball player (Brody), and an umpire (Kasen). Can you tell Brody picked? I'm hoping I can convince them to do Batman & Robin next year! =)  

  5. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    Wow! Lots of stuff going on! We closed on our house on Friday, and although it's a very busy time (getting power, etc. turned on, painting, cleaning) it's also pretty exciting. Congrats on being so close. I too am thrilled about getting out of boxes. I need fall clothes, as does Little Elvis. Baby Plum needs our co-sleeper.
    I think the Halloween theme and party idea sound great! I wish I had a red sleeper idea, all I can offer is Amazon or ebay.
    Little Elvis will be an orange traffic cone for Halloween. I have the stuff to make his costume, but haven't done it yet. My dad thinks it will look awful, but the rest of us think it will be pretty cute.
    Happy signing, packing, sneezing and moving!  

  6. # Blogger Debbie

    Oooh, I hope you're all feeling better soon. Sick, moving, new job prep and a birthday party! Wow! Makes my life look like a walk in the park!  

  7. # Blogger Veronica

    I'm excited for you and the new house! I'm sorry you all have been sick, but it's going to be so nice to be in your new house, settled in!  

  8. # Blogger Jamie

    Good luck with moving. It sucks, but it will be worth it. :)

    Also, if you need any help with your classes, just let me know. I'd be glad to help you any way that I can. These first two will be BY FAR the most difficult. Just keep thinking that when the going gets rough. Good for you for seeking some outside help. That is why we have the Nanny from 9-1. With 4-6 classes, student workshops, etc. I have to have some help or there is no way I will be able to get it all done. And right now I am still doing 90% of my work at night. I am hoping that will change some once the twins are in more of a routine.

    As far as Halloween costumes -- we are going to have three little monkeys. Bo looks adorable in his! :)  

  9. # Blogger Sunny

    Your plate is overflowing, wow! All good things, though, once you get in the groove of a new house and new job. The job sounds like it can create that small adult-time-only space you've been craving in your life, I am anxious to hear how you like it.

    I saw some cute long-johns the other day when I was shopping for a gift for a friend's one-year-old. You could put Thing 1 and Thing 2 on them. :)

    I'm a dork and I don't know how to embed a link in a comment, so here it is in long form: http://www.personalcreations.com/baby_long_johns__choose_from_9_colors_any_name_or_any_3_line_message-products-5400X-3-410-41014.html

    You can also try the Gap: http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=665522002&tid=gofr1r  

  10. # Anonymous Ness

    Check Amazon, they stock from all sorts of places that you may not have looked at. When I bought my eldest two sleepers from there about 18 months ago, they definitely had all red sleepers. Just a thought!  

  11. # Blogger Sunny

    PS I just gave you an award. :)  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly