Genetics is Funny

People are always telling me two things about my children.
1. Luci and Nicholas look nothing alike; and
2. Nicholas and Isabella look like the real twins.
I have to say that for the most part, I agree with both of the above.
Luci and Nicholas look related (somewhat), but they don't look like twins. From the differences in their skin coloring to their hair and eye color differences to their slight size difference (we were on a neighborhood walk with the kids one day and a woman stopped me to ask if they were twins. When I said that yes, indeed they are, she expressed surprise and said, "Oh wow. He's so much bigger than she is. I figured they were 9 months apart." Seriously? Nine months apart? Nicholas weighed one pound more than Luci did at their 9-month checkup), I get the "wow, they look so different" line quite a bit.
Nicholas and Isabella, however, look a lot alike.
Here's a photo taken of Isabella at 11 months old.

And here's one of Nicholas taken a few nights ago:

And the two of them together = eerily similar:


And then there's this little girl. I know she's mine because she is feisty, independent, and likes to complain, but I don't think she looks a thing like me (although I hear a lot that she does) or her siblings.


I will admit that the physical differences between Luci and Nicholas do freak me out a bit in light of this story, but I'm going to assume that when they looked like this, they were in the same tube and therefore both undoubtedly mine. All.Mine.

(Can I just add that in looking back over photos of Isabella taken at 11 months old, the same age as the twins are now, she looks like Gargantuan Baby in comparison to Luci and Nicholas? And, Isabella was in something like the 20th percentile for weight and height at that point too. The twins are just so small in comparison.)

But you know who doesn't have small twins? Jamie, who on Monday gave birth to Clara and Anna at 38 weeks. Her twins were 6 pounds, 11 oz and 6 pounds, 14 ounces! To give you an idea of what a huge difference 4 weeks of gestation makes, Luci and Nicholas were two months old before they weighed what Jamie's adorable girls weighed at birth. Congrats, Jamie!

*********************************************************************

And thank you, thank you, for your honest and empathetic responses to my last post. I cannot tell you how much it means to me that there are those of you who just get it.

5 Responses to “Genetics is Funny”

  1. # Blogger Mom24

    It is amazing how much Isabella and Nicholas look alike, but you can definitely see Luci's family resemblance. :-)  

  2. # Anonymous Lis Garrett

    Isabella and Nicholas definitely look the most similar to me, but I would never question that Luci is their sibling. It's just the luck of the draw, I guess.

    People are always commenting to me about how alike Hannah and Jacob look. In fact, I've had several people ask if they are twins, despite their 27-month age difference! Dark hair, olive skin, hazel eyes. Bridget is the definite odd-ball with her blond hair, pale skin, and blue eyes. You can only imagine the weird looks I get about that. ;-)  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    With 23 pairs of chromosomes that means there are something like 8 million possible gene combinations from one parent in the sperm or egg. When you look at it like that it is more amazing that sibs look alike at all...

    And the 'look like twins' thing pisses me off a bit. They are just genetic siblings, sharing a womb doesn't make you look alike. I mean none of us (thankfully, in my case) look like our college roommates...  

  4. # Blogger Sunny

    Wow, that's truly amazing! I'm always bad at figuring out which parent a baby looks like, but in this case, it's clear how Isabella and Nicholas look so much alike, and Luci looks more like a cousin or something. :)

    I am dying to know what my kiddos will look like. When I found out I was having a son, I was entirely positive he would have dark hair and dark eyes just like me. What do you know, he is blond with blue eyes! He's definitely my son, but I still marvel at how he missed my dominant genes (and my husband's, too!).  

  5. # Blogger Hopeful Mother

    It is intriguing!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly