Lovely in Lavendar

When I found out I was expecting twins, I almost passed out on the ultrasound table. After I recovered, I decided I would not dress them the same so I could foster the idea of separate identities. When I found out they were boy-girl twins, I figured this was a moot point anyway.

Since their arrival I've changed my tune. I've decided that matching outfits, including ones that are the same style but different colors, are cute on twins, even on those who don't look even minimally related.





My grandma thinks so too. She enjoys buying the twins identical outfits.

Gender-specific, identical outfits.

Now, to clarify my views on dressing little boys in "girl" colors and vice-versa: I generally don't care. Isabella wore tons of blue when she was in her infant "is that a boy or a girl?" stage. And personally, I love pink polo shirts on little boys.

But then grandma brought over her latest purchase, and promptly dressed Nicholas in his.



Yeah, I'm wearing lavender. What of it?

(It says "pretty kitty." Meow!)

It seems I may have my very own Aunt Clara situation on my hands.


The ladies love me in lavendar. I wear it for them.

19 Responses to “Lovely in Lavendar”

  1. # Blogger kenju

    He sure seems to like it! So cute!  

  2. # Blogger Mel

    I think he may have *something* to say about it in about, oh, 15 years?

    dang, your babies are cute. Broodiness looms everytime I see them.

    Then I promptly click over and watch some video clips of early days with my kids. Cures me IMMEDIATELY. hehe  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Is it me, or are they seriously growing up? Hello - they're totally becoming little people! (you know what I mean, not literally little people). I *love* identical outfits. I do the same thing even though my boys are 2yrs and 8mths apart, because dammit they both look really cute in their camouflage combat trousers! It helps that my 2nd one is a total bruiser though, as in MEGA baby. He's already wearing 12-24mth clothes even though he's just gone 10 months today.  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

    Did Grandma realize which baby she was dressing??

    I cannot believe just how different Nicholas and Luci look from each other. But I think Nicholas and Isabella look a lot alike. Definitely cute, though - the both of them!


    and I'm totally hoping I actually get a chance to hold them lots and lots and lots, if you know what I mean ;-)  

  5. # Blogger Mom24

    That is really funny. I always wanted boy/girl twins just so I could dress them in matching boy/girl outfits. I'll live vicariously through you. ;)

    It's amazing to see how much they've grown, it doesn't seem like it's been that long. Of course I'm sure to you, it does. Still, sleep and all day good humor must be just around the corner. They are too cute, and very individual looking. I'm still not too sure about the lavender though.  

  6. # Blogger My Wombinations

    I am chortling. How friggin' adorable.  

  7. # Anonymous Anonymous

    That is so cute! You have some amazingly cute kids!

    I always swore I wouldn't dress my kids alike, but now that I have two boys so close in age- I have ot admit, I end up coordinating them 90% of the time. They don't match exactly unless it's pj's... but they have different pieces to the same outfits, or at least are color coordinating. I know- I'm lame.  

  8. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    Except for their skin tones, they DO look identical. You do know that, right?

    That's a stitch that he's in lavender...  

  9. # Blogger Marie

    Too cute! You could put Nicholas in a tutu and it would still be obvious that he's a boy. He looks "all boy" to me, just like K did here.  

  10. # Anonymous Anonymous

    LOL!!! :)

    I'm not sure what I think. On one hand, I don't see a problem with it if you're not going out someplace ... you know, just chilling out at home with the kids, when no one will see. But ... lavender IS a girl's color, definitely. Especially the kitty, LOL! :) I love the idea of matching/coordinating outfits for twins, though!  

  11. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    That last picture is so cute! I love his expression.  

  12. # Blogger Hopeful Mother

    Cuteness. Pure cuteness.

    When else could you get away with dressing your son in purple (OK, lavender) fluffiness?

    I don't think they look alike. Not just the skin tone, but the eyes and jawlines are def. different from one another. Just like a plain 'ole brother and sister who happen to be the same age.  

  13. # Blogger Christine

    So freakin cute! I will say that I think they look a lot a like, coloring aside. The lavender is hilarious. If I were crafty at all, I would totally sew him a pink bunny outfit for Halloween.  

  14. # Blogger Jesser

    What a crackup!! I love them in their matching outfits ... very cute. It's amazing how different they look already.  

  15. # Blogger Damselfly

    Hahaha! They are so cute no matter what they are wearing.

    Is it hard to find matching outfits for them? Maybe it will get harder as they grow into bigger sizes?  

  16. # Blogger Chastity

    Hahahaha!

    I'll dress mine as if they are identical until they're old enough to kick me out of their wardrobe. I love dressing them the same!  

  17. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Hi again! :) I know what you're thinking ~ "She just put up a new design on *her* blog, but has she bothered to work on *mine* yet?" LOL! :) Thing is, I had to download a free trial of Photoshop because my husband messed with my computer and I can't get it to work anymore. :( Also, he has to set up my Outlook so that I can actually go back into my e-mail and get the photos that you sent me. Hopefully he can do some of that tonight! So sorry ~ but I still have all of the files that I need to change your blog header. So that's good! :)  

  18. # Blogger Diet Cokehead

    They are so adorable!!!!  

  19. # Blogger Keri's Collage...

    As a twin that was dressed the same as my sister my whole life, I find this post very interesting!
    My twin was usually dressed in red and I was usually dressed in blue, but the outfits were identical. When I asked my mom about why she did this she said it was for two reasons and it makes perfect sense to me:
    #1) she always felt like dressing us the same prevented one of us from looking 'cuter than the other'
    #2) almost all of the gifts she received were matching.

    So there you have it...I also found it interesting that if one of us spit up on ourselves or got dirty, she changed us both so we would match!

    Your kids are beautiful no matter what they wear :)  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly