Sickeningly Sweet

I've never been big on Valentine's Day. Perhaps it's because I don't like chocolate, or perhaps it's because I'm fortunate to have a husband who, when he's not very busy pretending to sleep through the twins' eardrum-shattering cries at 3am, brings me home treats I do like (Starbucks, flowers from a way-too-expensive shop, and Sour Patch Kids) all throughout the year.

So, we've never been big on grandiose displays of affection on February 14th. We buy eachother a card and maybe something little (this year I bought him some fancy nuts and he bought me a caddy for my K-cups).

But, as is the case with most holidays, having kids makes celebrating them more fun.

So, last week, Isabella and I did a little research for an article I have appearing in the March issue of Root & Sprout. We made and decorated heart-shaped cookies. What? You're not reading Root & Sprout? You should be! The new site goes live on March 1st.


On Valentine's Day, my mom happened to be in town and staying with us for the twins' baptism the following day. My aunt who is possibly Isabella's favorite person in the universe stopped over with a new tea set for the little darling, a bag of cookies and chocolate, and a balloon. So, we had ourselves a little tea party.




In addition to the cookie, Isabella sampled some of my aunt's index finger and thumb too.

The babies celebrated Valentine's Day in their own special way by abstaining from crying for an entire hour!


We ended the day by arranging the kids on the couch for a charming family photo, certain to grace the mantles of many a family member this year.


What did you do for Valentine's Day?

10 Responses to “Sickeningly Sweet”

  1. # Blogger In Due Time

    I think I would rather have had your Valentine's day (crying babies and all!) We started the day off with child-free sex, woo hoo, and ended it with the shittiest steak dinner EVER. The first thing I did after coming home from dinner was spout off an email to the company.

    Those cookies look de-lish!  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Well, our boy-child was in rare form that day (and not in a good way). We gave each of the kids a new book and a very small box of chocolates. Other than that, we didn't do anything. Since we celebrate our anniversary only 9 days prior, we have never celebrated Valentine's Day.

    Yours looked like a fun one, though!  

  3. # Blogger Mom24

    We had a pretty pleasant day until I literally almost burnt my hand off by grabbing the handle of a skillet that had been in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Good times. Nothing has ever hurt as much as my hand hurt the rest of the evening. Miraculously the next day it was fine though, so I can't complain too much.

    I'm glad the twins have you a bit of a break. Hopefully they'll get longer and longer.  

  4. # Blogger Andrew

    We spent a lovely afternoon cleaning the master bathroom from floor to ceiling. I don't think we've ever been closer.  

  5. # Blogger Jesser

    May I just say, "awwww!"  

  6. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    I'm glad you all had a fairly happy Valentine's day. We celebrated by having Little Elvis' birthday party. He celebrated by not napping. Fun was had by all.  

  7. # Blogger Damselfly

    You don't like chocolate?!!!  

  8. # Blogger Damselfly

    OK, now that I have that out of my system, looks like you all had fun with those cookies. The twins are so cute! In that photo, they look like they are thinking, "I love Mom so much!"

    Valentine's Day was just another day for us.  

  9. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    That made me smile...  

  10. # Blogger Shannon

    i was lazy and bought premade dough and added sprinkles and frosting when there were done... anything with sprinkles is a hit here lol... but then all she wanted to eat was sugar cookies lol...

    but Jeremy and I are the same way... we don't really do v-day...  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly