Fashion Fright Friday: Retro Edition

10 years ago this past May, I graduated from college. I left the comforting world of zero responsibility, weekend moping while plugged into The Smiths playing on my DiscMan, and impromptu concert road-trips at 21 years old, a year earlier than I was supposed to, thanks to Advanced Placement classes taken in high school. I still want that year back, thank you very much.

I was just exiting my goth stage, whereby everything I wore was a cheerful and joie de vivre-embracing black, and I was slowly and with regret packing away the clothes that with my pale complexion made me look like Marilyn Manson's younger sister, which, come to think of it, was probably precisely the look I was going for.

It was at this transitional time in my life that I was invited to the July 1997 wedding of a college friend.

This was one of the first weddings I was invited to as an "adult." And I had no idea what to wear.

Unfortunately, what caught my eye was the little number pictured here. I must have thought at the time that I looked good in the dress I picked out. I must have thought that sheer black tights at a July wedding was paying homage to my fleeting goth roots. I must have thought that somehow the dress I was wearing complimented the navy blue sport coat and tan pants worn by my new boyfriend (who is now my husband).

What I clearly did not know was that I wore what looked to be, for all intents and purposes, a maternity dress from 1983.

10 Responses to “Fashion Fright Friday: Retro Edition”

  1. # Blogger Kris

    The dress isn't so bad- but the tights REALLY needed to go... especially for July! =)  

  2. # Blogger Gal on the Go

    I agree with you Kristi - but keep in mind, we've all been there - it most certainly could have been stylish at the time. I have some doozies in my closet to prove it!  

  3. # Blogger My Wombinations

    I LOVE it. You must save that for Isabella, because it will almost certainly be all the rage when she is 16 (aren't the kids saying "all the rage" these days?)  

  4. # Blogger The Queen B

    Seriously, I wasn't laughing. REally, I promise!!  

  5. # Blogger Marie

    You look cute in whatever you wear Kristi. Really. The tights though? In July? WOW!  

  6. # Blogger Damselfly

    Well now, one step at a time out of goth dressing! I'm sure your boyfriend thought you looked amazing!  

  7. # Blogger sunShine

    Tights in July! You have got to be kidding me. I am sweating just thinking about it!  

  8. # Anonymous Anonymous

    You slay me! (That's what we said back when I was 21.) The tights are simply amazing. It would be great if you still had them--for when you finally get on What Not To Wear!  

  9. # Blogger Binulatti

    You know - the silver 10-eye docs really would've complimented this outfit.

    PS - I had a similar experience in my passport renewal adventures this week. Goodbye jet-black hair, purple lipstick, and giant ankh necklace of age 19. May you entertain customs agents no longer...  

  10. # Blogger kenju

    We all make bad choices from time to time, but you still look cute! But tights? You must have been steamy hot!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly