Father's Day 2007

If you stop to think about it, the bar is set pretty low in order to qualify as a "good dad." I've heard many friends and relatives talk in these terms about their own husbands or the husbands of others: "Oh, he's a wonderful father. He changes diapers." Or, "He's such a great dad, he feeds the baby dinner every night." Or (and this is my personal favorite) "He gets right down on the floor and plays with our kids."

Think about it. Would anyone ever tell a woman she's a "good mother" for doing any of these things? Let's face it, if she didn't change diapers or feed her kids dinner or play with them-even (gasp!) on the floor- not only would she not be called a "good mother" she would likely be playing host to Child Protective Services once the word got out. Double standard? Oh yes indeed.

Lucky for Isabella, her dad really is a good dad, no air quotes needed.

He was the first person (other than my OB) to hold her. He was the first person to change her diaper. He dressed her in her "going home from the hospital" outfit.


He did lots of patient middle-of-the-night rocking when I had hit the proverbial wall in exhaustion from trying to get her back to sleep.

A round or two of "Islands in the Stream" while cradled in her daddy's arms would send her into dreamland almost immediately.


He's the "fun one" (I'm quickly realizing, I am not). She laughs for him in a way she doesn't for me. He invents games, builds block and cup towers, and reads Goodnight Moon to her every night that he's home for her bedtime.


He calls without fail every day he's at work to check in and see how she's doing-whether her morning nap extended beyond its usual 2 1/2 minutes, what kind of food she's spitting out at me on that particular morning, what our plans are for the day.

Unlike her mother, he never gets frustrated when she won't eat her dinner, or when she repeatedly throws toys on the floor, just to watch and see how long it takes one of us to pick them up.

And he understands that a happy mommy equals a happy baby (and many times, just the opposite), and supports me fully in my decision to bail on my FT job in favor of a freelance career and a much-less-stressful way of life.

Happy Father's Day, Rich. We're lucky to have you.

11 Responses to “Father's Day 2007”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Oh, how beautiful they both are! And her name is Isabella...how gorgeous! She is a lucky one, that baby girl!

    BTW...I did take note that I was still on your blogroll...means more than words can say.  

  2. # Blogger MsPrufrock

    It has always annoyed me that fathers are commended for doing what they should be doing naturally anyway, so thanks for bringing up that good point.

    Those are such lovely photographs. I hope you all had a great Father's Day  

  3. # Blogger Marie

    Beautiful pictures!

    Go Rich!!!  

  4. # Blogger My Wombinations

    Happy Father's Day!  

  5. # Blogger Ramona

    Awww...Happy Father's Day, Rich!  

  6. # Blogger Christine

    Very sweet!

    Happy Father's Day, Rich! You are both doing such a great job.  

  7. # Blogger sher

    Oh, those pictures made me feel so much better this morning. I'm having a hard time lately and I thank you for cheering me up. That was a wonderful post--in words and pictures.  

  8. # Blogger Leslie

    Sounds like Rich deserves a little air guitar tribute. RAWK!  

  9. # Blogger Binulatti

    Aww. He is the man, Rich. If only you could show him how much you appreciate him with a token of affection. I think something starting with L, ending with D and with, um, let's see...perhaps...a C in the middle would do it?  

  10. # Blogger Damselfly

    Aw, how sweet. You can see the love on both their faces.  

  11. # Blogger beagle

    How about when people comment that he "babysits" his (own) kids??

    Your guy sounds truly great as are you! Isabella is one lucky girl with all that love!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly