This Blog is Boring Me to Tears

Those of you who are still reading here, I salute you. Not only are my posts less frequent and the content less interesting (motherhood has eaten more brain cells than I care to admit) I have also essentially had the same tired blog design since July of 2005.

Okay, so there was a brief time when my blog was florescent green. But other than that, the design (or lack thereof) you're looking at now is the way it's looked for almost two long years.

It's time for a change.

I want a more personalized blog, because this one? The one you have to practically prop open your eyes with toothpicks to read? It's bumming me out, it's so boring-looking. It doesn't reflect my personality, which, if you know me IRL, is wicked-ass awesome.

The problem is, I have absolutely no blog or web design skills whatsoever. In fact, every time I go to edit my blog using the old Blogger (I've yet to upgrade), I end up screwing up the HTML so badly that my sidebar either ends up at the bottom of my blog, or all the sidebar boxes blend together. This, despite a very nice gal with a very snazzy blog trying to help me awhile back. For days on end.


It's very sad that I'm such a moron. Please pass me a tissue.

So how do you do it? You out there with the cute blog? All professional-looking and personalized and fun? Besides being much more talented than me, what's your secret?

Anyone out there have any advice on how I can quickly and easily spruce up Interrupted Wanderlust?

Should I convert to the new Blogger? I hear it's much easier to personalize your blog, but I also understand you lose your blogroll.

Should I switch over the Wordpress, which seems way less problematic than Blogger?

And you with the cool masthead designs? How do you do it?

Thank you for your advice and help. Clearly, I need much more than can be covered in a comment, but I'm hoping someone has a quick and easy idea for me on how to perform CPR on my blog with as little pain as possible.

12 Responses to “This Blog is Boring Me to Tears”

  1. # Blogger My Wombinations

    I fear change. You blog is ANYTHING but boring!  

  2. # Blogger Kris

    I have mixed feelings about the new blogger... though it does make it easy to change colors and add photos and the like to your banner. (My hubby is a graphic designer, so he did the banner on my page... I just haven't gotten around to having him redesign the rest yet.) But you can use any photo as the backdrop to your banner very easily, so that would be very easy to add... I never used the old blogger though, so I'm not sure about what else would change if you convert...  

  3. # Blogger Marie

    Personally, I'm not big on pizazz when it comes to web design. I like simple. Your design has never bothered me -- I come here to read what you write! And now that I've finally set myself up with Google Reader, I'm mostly just looking at everyone's raw writing anyway.

    BUT! I did just upgrade my level of TypePad & want to learn how to do a simple masthead. Everything I've ever done has been a stock template. I do hear good things about WordPress, and I know nothing about blogger.

    I'm guessing there's a reader out there who'd be able to help you snaz it up in a way you'd like!  

  4. # Blogger kenju

    I'm not one to ask, but I did switch to blogger 2, and it does give you more freedom in choosing colors, fonts, etc. There is a woman blogger I know who does very nice work, and you can see some of it here:
    http://www.bigredcouch.com.fairyblogmother/
    Tell Angie I sent you.  

  5. # Blogger Andrew

    Eh, whatevs...  

  6. # Blogger Leslie

    Enh. I come here for your words. The blog design can end up becoming dstracting....so I guess it depends on which you're focused on (words? overall user experience?) Of course, you shouldn't really take any advice from me since I haven't posted in, oh, say, a month?  

  7. # Blogger Shannon

    go to WP... blogger sucks lol... but send Lisanne an email... she is wick at making blog designs!!  

  8. # Blogger The Queen B

    My secret weapon is my amazingly talented cousin (in-law) FFG (Freckle Face Girl).

    She's way to brilliant with this stuff and is so lovely she updates my design depending on the season.  

  9. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I got Schnozz to design mine. I think she can do yours for a very small fee, if you ask her!  

  10. # Blogger jude

    Girl...

    Let me atest to the fact that I have not touched my long dusty blog in 8 plus months. So... know that we are not bored!!!!!!

    I am just happy that the rest of my blogging buddies are keeping their sanity by getting the "crazies" out of their heads! LOL

    Great to comment here again!

    Jude  

  11. # Blogger Damselfly

    Aw, you think my design is fun? I'll e-mail you with some ideas...  

  12. # Blogger sher

    You blog is NOT boring. But, I understand your feelings. I hate the way mine looks--and wish I could perk it up. But, like you, I can't make any changes on mine without it turning into a huge deal!!!!!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly