Target is My Xanax

Isabella and I have many rituals. In fact, our days are built around them. We have our Jumperoo-Coffee-Email ritual, whereby after her first feeding of the day, we head downstairs to the kitchen where she bounces happily in her Jumperoo for about 20 minutes while I make coffee, check my email, and feed the cats.

We have the late afternoon ritual where I put her in her exersaucer and she works on training me to go fetch the balls she throws all over the living room. Over. And over. And over again.

And we have our soon-to-be-moved-to-the-adult-tub ritual of her bath (previously held in her infant tub, placed in the kitchen sink), where she has recently discovered the joys associated with making her mother appear ready for a wet tshirt contest (and one that no red-blooded male would want to attend, believe me), as she pounds her not-so-tiny-anymore fists into the tub and sends water everywhere.

But my favorite ritual, by far, is our Thursday afternoon trips to Target. Hey, my life is getting smaller by the day, people. Please hold your laughter until you reach the end of the post.

It started about six weeks ago on a Thursday, when I was going ape-shit out-of-my-mind stir-crazy, after not having left the house since the previous Sunday. It was around 3pm. Miss Isabella had taken a short afternoon nap, I had just finished feeding her, and I was staring into the face of four frighteningly long hours until her bedtime. There are just so many games you can play, songs you can sing, and books you can read with a then five-month old. I needed to get out of the house. I needed to see people. The need was primal, I tell you. And so, with no shopping list and absolutely no reason for going there, we headed to Target.

And oh, what sweet retail-therapy-get-me-the-hell-out-of-my-house relief it was. It wasn't that I spent a ton of money. It wasn't that I even particularly like shopping, because I really don't. It was that we were out of the house, in a brightly lit place (which stood in marked contrast to the dismal cold and gray day I had been staring out my house's windows at all day), and there were people there, and many of them looked like the tired, desperate-for-a-change-in-scenery house fraus with babies I was.

So Isabella and I spent about 45 minutes wandering the aisles. I snagged some cute baby shoes for her, some headbands for me (because I'm on the fast track to baldness what with her hair-pulling fetish), some granola bars for the hubs, and the new Norah Jones CD (for both of us).

And then we went home. I was in a better mood. I think even Isabella was in a better mood because for a brief time she had something to look at besides my ugly mug all day long. And the following Thursday we went again. And the one after that. And the one after that.

Just because I know you are literally dying to see what I bought this past Thursday, I'll show you. Because that's the type of person I am. A giver.

My stash included Quaker Granola Bites, Reeses Pieces, for which we've already established my obsession, gum, a new throw rug for the bathroom, a bag and tissue paper for my aunt's birthday present, and these cool little fruit salad/ice cream bowl dishes that resemble ones I bought at IKEA several years ago.

Target bowls on the left, IKEA ones on the right.

Okay, so those new Quaker Granola Bites? Are seriously good. And for the record, yes, I'm fully aware that they're a snack designed for children's lunch boxes, and I'm okay with it.

These two came from the Dollar Bins at the front of the store. Magnetic grocery lists for your fridge! Bunny ear headbands for Easter! Candles in the shape of little chicks! All can be yours for just a single dollar. I snagged animal crackers (anyone know why they're called "crackers" when they are so obviously a cookie?) and a Beatrix Potter bunny pal for the little girl for Easter.

Oh, and I also bought this bowl (not for a dollar) whose purpose I've yet to decide. I just knew I totally needed it when I saw it on the shelf. Who doesn't need a cute yellow bowl?

And finally these. Okay, so I didn't buy these at Target (but I so would have if they carried them!). Baby's first Chuck Taylors!

Oh Target, I think I love you.

15 Responses to “Target is My Xanax”

  1. # Blogger Leslie

    Oh, I love me some retail therapy. Those baby Chucks are too sassy cute and those little ice cream bowls scream "HOT SUMMER, BRING IT ON!"  

  2. # Blogger M

    Ah, Target. It's our Sunday ritual...because Sunday is when I do the grocery shopping for the week..and our Target is a SuperTarget, where not only can I grocery shop, but spend a bunch more money on all of the other nifty things there...which today included a food processor, zip loc baggies, and ice cube trays. yes, my friend-- you have inspired me to make her baby food...and I'm getting serious about it now. In fact, I may have to blog about it.  

  3. # Blogger kenju

    You've just given me an idea for a post, although I think I already posted it 2 years ago, on the old blog...LOL. Oh well, no one will remember it, will they?

    Shopping is a cure-all for many things, least of which is boredom with little babyhood. I usd to do it often!  

  4. # Blogger Christine

    Oh how I love me some target.

    And also, although late to the blog, I'm so sorry to hear about Chelsea. It's just so hard when it comes down to it.  

  5. # Blogger sunShine

    I heart Target. I always spend waaayyy too much money there, so I don't go too often. Those shoes are just darlin'. Fill the yellow bowl with Reeses Pieces and sit it out on the counter or on a table.  

  6. # Blogger Damselfly

    It's so funny how when I read your blog, I find we are doing some of the exact same things! I try to get my baby and myself out of the house every day, or I go stir crazy trying to keep him entertained. (And the bathtime splashing. And hair pulling. Oh, the hair pulling....) I love those little pink shoes and that striped gift bag.  

  7. # Blogger Gal on the Go

    Ah Target - the happiest place on earth! I only wish I could get there more often, and come out spending under $100 :-)  

  8. # Blogger Marie

    This is very funny, Kristi! And I totally understand your need for a regular outing. There's nothing like a change of scenery when you've been home day after day...

    So, when I need to know where to find something at Target, I should just ask you?

    And,... you DO realize those adorable sneakers are PINK, right? Too cute.  

  9. # Blogger anne

    That's a great idea, having a planned outing each week. It looks like you're not spending outrageously at all, and everything you said (bright lights, being out and about, seeing other people) are all things that really do help a mood. Especially a stir-crazy one!

    I cannot believe your girl is already half a year old. Amazing. Those shoes are terrific!  

  10. # Blogger kenju

    Kristi, thanks for the link to the key lime stuff. I think I will have to order their margarita mix stuff!!  

  11. # Anonymous Anonymous

    LOL! I'm heading to Seattle at the end of the month to visit my friend. On my wish list? Target!!!
    There is nothing better than a little bit of retail therapy on a cold gray wintery day.
    Love the pink sneakers...I want some!  

  12. # Blogger shokufeh

    I find that Thursdays tend to be the day when MrMan and I get on each other's nerves. I guess it's just the point in the week when we've finally gotten tired of one another. Today was an exception. Maybe it's that he went to daycare for the past three days. Or maybe it's because we stayed out and about. But I understand the need to go out and shop, mostly for the going out part. Whole Foods usually serves that purpose for me.  

  13. # Blogger M

    Um...excuse me, ma'am....I know you have a baby and all...but I am having withdraw from Kristi posts. And Thursday has come and gone...surely you could post about what you bought this week? ;)  

  14. # Blogger Undercover Angel

    We don't have a Target around here, but I do agree that shopping is excellent therapy for Mommys. I'd go nuts if I couldn't go shopping...  

  15. # Blogger Kristi

    L-Yup, retail therapy is totally getting me through the winter here in godforsaken upstate NY. Bring on that "hot summer"!

    Michelle-You are so lucky to have a SuperTarget! I am envious, but I fear that if my Target were as Super as yours, I might be there 7 days a week. And yay! I'm so glad you're making Maddy's food. That's awesome, and I hope you post about it on your blog.

    Kenju- I'm intrigued. What's the idea (or the link to your old post)?

    Sher-Yes, Target stuff rocks. The only line I don't like is their maternity clothes, which surprisingly seemed really cheaply made.

    Christine-Thank you. Sweet Chelsea is in a much better place now.

    Sunshine-if I filled the bowl with Reeses Pieces, it would stay full for approximately 3 seconds. ;)

    Damselfly-Ah, motherhood. It's the great uniter, isn't it? :)

    Editorgirl-It seriously is the happiest place on earth for me now, and that makes my life oh so very sad.

    Marie-Much as it is with Wegmans, I can tell you where something is in "my" Target, but not necessarily where the same item is located in "your" Target. And yeah, I know. Pink. However, the only other option was black, and of course, being that she's a girl, and girls ONLY wear pink, she really doesn't have anything to go with black sneakers.

    Anne-Yes, stir-crazy is putting it mildly. :)

    Ramona-Say hi to my sister in Seattle!

    Shokufeh-I would love it if we had a Whole Foods here. Love, LOVE that place!

    Michelle-Awww...you're too kind, and that was exactly the kind of ego-stroking I needed tonight. :)

    Undercover Angel-Yes, it is definitely a cure-all for temporary mommy insanity. And thanks for stopping by my blog.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly