DVR: A Love Story

In the spirit of last week's Valentine's Day holiday, I thought I would write an ode to the new love of my life. Now, I realize I'm behind the technology times a bit, and that people have been enjoying the benefits of my new love for years now, but for me, in my tiny no cell phone, no CD player in my car, no flat panel tv in my house universe, my love is New! Fresh! And Exciting!

My friends, I'm talking about my new DVR (Digital Video Recorder).

And here's how this little black box has changed my life.

Rich and I view the act of watching television as a continual learning experience. We fill our nights in front of the tube with symphonies on PBS, documentaries on our country's greatest presidents on The History Channel, and forays into the outer reaches of our planet on the National Geographic network. Our television will never be known as the "idiot box" because we don't watch the conventional tv programs that everyone else seems to find so popular. And now that we have our DVR, we don't have to worry about missing that special on James Garfield, and we'll never tune into Masterpiece Theatre late again.

Now, if my interests were as evolved as I sometimes delude myself into thinking they are, then maybe I would be watching (and DVR-ing) those kinds of shows. But I'll be honest here. My television interests are much more base than these. At the end of a long day of child-rearin' and workin', I want to sit in front of the tube, turn off my brain, and be entertained by the trainwreck antics of humanity. And that, my friends, is how DVR has enabled my reality tv-watching obsession and changed my life for the better.

Rich and I no longer have to miss the nightly pummeling contestants subject themselves to on American Idol because Isabella decided to wake up in the middle of the show. All we do is hit the rewind or pause buttons once one of us finishes getting her back to sleep (yes, people, the DVR allows you to rewind and pause live TV!), and we're back in business.

Isabella changes her napping pattern and suddenly I can't catch What Not To Wear anymore? I don't need to miss a single one of Clinton and Stacy's fashion tips (and believe me, I can't afford to). I can program my DVR once (once!) to record the show and I'll never miss a single episode, regardless of what time it's on.

There's no searching for a blank tape on which to record Survivor. There's no tracking issues preventing me from seeing Phil's special eyebrow arch that he does especially for me on The Amazing Race because we used an old tape ("wait, are we sure that's not a beta tape from 1988?"). And we can watch other reality tv shows (and let's face it, there are many) on the same tv at the same time we're recording another show!

Yes, I'm fully aware that reality tv rots your brain so lest you think less of me now that you know my deepest, darkest addiction, I'll have you know that I also watch (and now DVR!) Grey's Anatomy and Lost, which while I realize hardly qualify as quality tv are likely a step above Beauty and the Geek and Fear Factor.

But my heart of hearts lies in love with reality tv for evah.

And my DVR?

Well, it's the glue that holds us together.

12 Responses to “DVR: A Love Story”

  1. # Blogger M

    hahaha. This is funny because it describes me to a T. We have Tivo because we have Direct Tv...but it's the same thing. We are reality tv junkies and since the kiddo, catching a show in it's entirety (sp?) is rare. So..Tivo it is. And honestly, I can't even tell you what shows are on what night (except What about brian which is Monday nights at 10) because I hardly ever watch live tv. I just hit my Play list and fry my brain away!  

  2. # Blogger Dianne S

    I LOVE DVR! There is no way on planet Earth that after having it you can get rid of it. Dare I say you should DVR Oprah - she's life-changing.

    But, one thing to watch out for. I DVR'ed THe Amazing Race (which I have been looking forward to for a month - go Rob and Amber!). But, for some reason 60 Minutes ran over - and it ended up only taping half of the premiere episode of ALL STARS. So, buyer beware!  

  3. # Blogger Christine

    Yay! We don't have a DVR or Tivo. But we get Comcast on Demand? and my brain is plenty rotted already.

    So, you're more advanced than someone at least.  

  4. # Blogger Marie

    Hahaha! No offense, but I was having a hard time picturing you two cuddling up for Masterpiece Theatre.

    We just got a DVD burner/player, which also does VHS. We debated about getting the one with a hard drive, but ended up not doing it... we get very few channels, so it probably wouldn't have been worth it. BUT we can record to DVD now, which is also way cool. If we had full-on cable, I'd SO be DVRing!!  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Greg is a hockey NUT. For the first 4 years that we were together, he did not miss a single game. Except for the year that the players were on strike, which, was MY favourite hockey year. We splurged when we moved into the house and bought a hi-def plasma tv. And PVR? Has brought us together again during hockey season. We end up flipping during commercials and don't miss a thing because we can pause live tv! And, we don't watch many commercials anymore!  

  6. # Blogger kenju

    Ever since my daughter got a Tivo, I have coveted a DVR! I suppose that eventually we will get one, but mr. kenju cannot manage to work the cable remote without messing it up, so I don't know how a DVR would fare in our home....LOL  

  7. # Blogger The Queen B

    I geez, I'm lost without my DVR. When we bought our house and went down the list of things to get rid of to save money my husband didn't dare even consider taing it away from me!  

  8. # Blogger sunShine

    I want a DVR, I am too cheap right now to get one though, but I miss my TV shows since the babe came into my life 15 months ago.  

  9. # Blogger Gal on the Go

    The DVR is absolutely the BEST INVENTION EVER! I never had one at my own place, but after moving into Craig's house I can't tell you how much it's changed my life! No more having to stay up super late to watch a favorite show (which is pretty much useless anyway bec lately I can't stay up beyond 9 p.m.) but to finally have the liberty of watching what I want on my own terms whenever is a good time for me is just pure genious! Enjoy it - trust me you'll forget what life was like before it within days!

    Dianne - oh no! I taped amazing race last night on the DVR but was just getting ready to sit down and watch when I saw your post. PLEASE PLEASE Mr. DVR be smart enough to catch up for me!  

  10. # Blogger Binulatti

    Welcome to the wonderful world of digital recording, Shish. May your cerebrum be ever crispier. I'd be lost without my tivo + HBO arrangement. And ffwding through the commercials? Priceless.  

  11. # Anonymous Anonymous

    We have two :) one for kid shows and one for us. When we do actually watch live shows my oldest always asks me to fwd though the commercials. We can chalk live tv as one of those things our kid will not know about, like crank car door window and, since the ipod is taken of...maybe CDS.  

  12. # Blogger Kristi

    Michelle-I am so in love with my playlist, you have no idea!

    Dianne-I haven't yey DVR-ed Oprah, but I'm very close to adding her to my list.

    Christine-Oh, you must get DVR. And you'll thank me every night before you go to bed when you do.

    Marie-Cool gadget. You need to get cable just so you can see Paula Deen, remember?? :)

    Ramona-LOL. Rich is a hockey fan too, and me? Not so much. And I am so not missing commercials.

    Caryl-I totally agree!

    Kenju-It's really not too hard. I'm not that great with remotes either, and I've figured it out.

    Princess-Yup. It's like high-speed internet. Once you get it, you can't ever imagine how you lived without it.

    Sher-You need one, definitely!

    Sunshine-They aren't too expensive. Trust me, it's worth the cost.

    Editorgirl-Exactly. So nice to be able to watch your shows whenever you want to.

    Karrie- Yup-no more commercials is pretty much the best thing ever.

    Chantel-LOL. I never thought of that, but you're so right!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly