Fashion Fright Friday: Birthday Edition

This week I decided to once again focus on my style problems below knee-level. I didn't even realize I was committing this particular fashion faux pas until my best friends in the entire universe, Clinton and Stacy, called the collection belonging to one of their show participants "an abomination."

I present to you my collection of patterned socks.


You'll notice I have several pairs with cats on them. And an entire collection of seasonal socks! Look-there's a pair with hearts on them for Valentine's Day! A pair with spiders on them for Halloween! And of course, the ubiquitous pair of red Christmas socks that every 4th grader you know wears to school on the last day before holiday break. I even have a pair of rainbow-striped socks with spaces for my toes in them. They're like gloves for my feet!

Now, to give myself some credit, I will say that I can't remember the last time I actually purchased my own socks. Most of the socks I own were purchased for me as gifts, which either means most everyone in my family needs as much fashion intervention as I do, or they all delight in making me look foolish.

And yes, I actually wear most of these socks. But pick your jaws up off the ground, people. Nobody can see my socks under my pants.

So, it's kind of like I'm not really breaking any style rules at all, because it's my little secret, right?

No? I didn't think so.

(And if you happened to catch its mention in the title, yes, today is my birthday. I'm 31. Send in the clowns.)

16 Responses to “Fashion Fright Friday: Birthday Edition”

  1. # Blogger M

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    uM....i remember an episode where Clinton and Stacy made some woman throw out all of her patterned socks. LOL! I own none. ALl of my socks are either black, brown, or white. I wear black socks with black shoes, brown socks with brown shoes, and white socks with tennis shoes. ....and of course NO socks with sandals. lol  

  2. # Blogger Geekwif

    Happy Birthday! Love the socks!  

  3. # Blogger My Wombinations

    Happy Birthday!! I am loving the gloves for the feet. So hot:)  

  4. # Blogger Shannon

    happy birthday girl!!!

    And who cares about socks like that... if you wear pants who is going to see them... now if you are wearing shorts... ya got issues lol...  

  5. # Blogger Gal on the Go

    Happy Brithday!
    No worries on the socks, I'm the same way and as long as the pants are long enough (and because they make them for amazons) I never have a problem with anyone seeing them.

    Hope you're doing something fun to celebrate!  

  6. # Blogger Marie

    Happy birthday Kristi!!

    I don't see anything wrong with patterned socks. They're fun! I think Stacy and Clinton need to lighten up & get a sense of humor!! It's not like you wear them to job interviews (uhhh, right?).  

  7. # Blogger Kris

    Happy Birthday!!

    Last week I finally went through my sock drawer and tossed all of the patterned & colored socks. I kept only white, black, and brown. My sock drawer looks so sad and depressing now! (I even had a few pairs of "gloves")  

  8. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Best wishes on your birthday, Kristi! And you are clearly a gal after my own heart. I too have what practically borders on a sock addiction. I don't like bare feet and I hate shoes. I wish I could wear just socks everywhere I go!  

  9. # Blogger Anne Marie

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

    Crap - here I am with dull socks (black, white and some blue) and I was starting to get into the pattern socks... I watch that show all the time and actually did do a closet cleanout after seeing many things I had in one episode... LOL My GF yelled at me because she's been trying to convince me for a long time to get rid of some of the things I tossed and it took a TV show to convince me... Sad I know... LOL BTW, how's the baby doing? All better?  

  10. # Anonymous Anonymous

    HHHHHappy Birthday, Kristi!!!
    Enjoy your day!

    OOO, I love patterned socks. I have me lots of pairs. Cats, especially. Several for Christmas and Valentine's Day. They are CUTE, and Ella will love them.

    You can't banish everything from your wardrobe that Clinton and Stacy don't think cut the mustard! You need some whimsy in your life...

    Birthday hugs
    Annie  

  11. # Blogger Damselfly

    Happy birthday! Maybe I should send you a pair of patterned socks?

    Just kidding, I have a couple pairs like that, and they were gifts too. I actually took one pair, which has dragonflies on it (my mother gave them to me) to the hospital when I was having Flybaby. But I didn't get a chance to wear them.  

  12. # Blogger The Queen B

    Happy, happy birthday!

    31 is pretty grand so I've heard (and lived it now for 1 month!)  

  13. # Blogger Christine

    1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Maybe I'll dig up your address from my varied files and send you a lovely pair of CareBear socks? With pompoms?

    2. I own the above mentioned socks. With a single pompom placed on the edge above my heal, and so what? Also a gift. And no one knows. Except for when I wear them specifically for the cat to play with. I have no beef with the patterns. Half the time they're underneath a pair of boots anyway.  

  14. # Blogger kenju

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Sorry to be here so late, but I have been out of town. Hope your birthday was great.

    I have a large collection of fancy socks too (much to my daughter's dismay).  

  15. # Blogger Kristi

    Thank you, everyone, for your birthday wishes, and for making me feel better about owning so many pairs of patterned socks. I'm glad there are others as "fashion-challenged" as I am out there!  

  16. # Blogger sunShine

    Happy Belated Birthday! Mine is next Monday and I will be 31 also! Yay for being 31!

    I also have an extensive of patterned socks for all the holidays and just some that are cute. I guess I should throw them out before Stacy and Clinton come after me.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly