Baby Weight

My girl has officially outgrown her newborn diapers. The bean doth shat herself and soiled approximately eleventeen-hundred outfits this past weekend, and I finally deduced that the problem wasn't an explosive digestive system (although that's certainly a possibility, given my own digestive issues) but the fact that her newborn diapers were finally too small for her. They fit up to 10 pounds.

Could my little girl weigh more than 10 pounds already? At her last doctor's visit in October, she was 9 pounds, 10 ounces. Which I thought was a lot. I mean, just the month before, she was 7 pounds, 1 ounce. When my cats gain that much, it's significant, because they don't weigh that much. And then the vet suggests diet food, and I feel like a bad cat parent. The same is true for babies right?

So I stepped on the scale first and weighed myself first. Then I grabbed Isabella and stepped on the scale with her. According to my scale, she weighs 11 pounds! Can that be right?

Now of course, my grandma thinks Isabella is the love child of Nicole Richie and Adrian Brody. She told me a few weeks ago, after telling me I should quit breastfeeding for about the millionth time, that her friend's daughter had a baby the day after I did, and that baby weighs 18 pounds now. 18 POUNDS??? Isn't that the weight of a second grader? Or at least a kindergartener, right? Someone out there tell me that my three-month old shouldn't weigh 18 pounds.

And this past weekend, I realized she's outgrowing her newborn sleepers too. We were at my grandma's late, and I decided to put her in a sleeper I had brought so she could go right to bed when we got home. Well, poor Isabella resembled a stuffed sausage in that sleeper. Her toes must have been curled over inside the feet.

I can't believe she's growing this quickly. It seems like just yesterday we brought home a 6 pound, 3 ounce baby (she was born at 6 pounds, 10 ounces, and then lost 7 ounces). Now if you'll excuse me. Me of little upper body strength needs to go bench a few weights in preparation for carrying around my rapidly expanding daughter.

10 Responses to “Baby Weight”

  1. # Blogger M

    Maddy is 8 weeks and I switched to size 1 diapers just because the newborn ones looked SO small on her. The size 1s cover much more, though they may be a little big..but better too big than too small.
    She has outgrown most of her newborns too-- but she is really long. She's in the 80th percentile for length! Where she gets her "height" I don't know. I'm 5'2 and mike is 5'7.
    She swims in the 0-3 month sleepers, but she is too tall for the newborns now.  

  2. # Blogger Marie

    Aww! She's growing perfectly! At just the right Isabella rate. She's a petite princess.

    I get a little sad each time I put away a batch of clothes...
    Hey, I have a 38 pounder you can carry around to build up your upper body strength! He's a back-breaker!!  

  3. # Blogger My Wombinations

    now, I don't know a ton about babies. But 18 pounds seems a little excessive to me. Sounds like your girl is growing perfectly.  

  4. # Blogger Shannon

    Lorelei is almost 6 months and I don't think she even weights 18 pounds lol... at 3 months that is one FAT baby lol... your daughter is the perfect size...  

  5. # Blogger MsPrufrock

    P. was 5lbs 14 1/2ozs at birth, and at her lowest weight was 5lbs 9ozs. With all the reflux issues she has had as well she's only just 12lbs at just barely over 4 months. Some of the other babies in our Mums and Babies group are pushing 15 lbs despite being much younger than P. My GP says that babies grow at different rates.

    By the way, it's not good for babies to gain weight too quickly. Tell that to the 18 pounder.  

  6. # Blogger sunShine

    Yes they do grow very fast. Isabella is just perfect. 18 lbs at 3 months is LARGE. My son didn't weight 18 lbs until he was around 9 or 10 months old. At 1 he weighs 22 lbs. It is sad when they start outgrowing their little clothes. It is so hard for me to get rid of anything so I have boxes full of clothes that my son can't wear anymore.  

  7. # Blogger The Queen B

    Well, first of all, Camille never fit into Newborn diapers and went straight to a size 1. We moved her up to a size 2 at 8 weeks.

    I'm still trying to figure out how Camille turned 11 months old and how on earth am I going to let her turn 1 next month.

    I hate this growing stuff!

    P.S. I owe you a tag...I promise I'll do it once I'm done complaining about closing on my house!  

  8. # Blogger Ramona

    11 is such a perfect number :)  

  9. # Blogger eat stuff

    Hey
    I just randomly saw this today
    http://yourbabycanread.com.au/
    and since it is about teaching ur 3 month old baby to read.... I thought it was age/time appropriate lol  

  10. # Blogger Kristi

    M-Wow. She's going to be tall. I'm 5'2 as well, and Rich is 5'8, so I don't think there's much hope for Isabella.

    Marie- Hee-Hee. I don't think I could lift your little guy if I'm having trouble lifting Isabella at 11 pounds!

    My Wombinations-Thanks! I hope so.

    Shannon-That's what I thought too, although my grandma insists the baby isn't fat. Uh-huh. ;)

    Smashedpea-That's good to hear. And yes, switching to the size 1s does feel like a big deal.

    Sher-I have one tubby kitty, and I think she weighs more than Isabella!

    MsPrufrock-I tried telling that to grandma, and she had none of it. She is, of course, convinced that by breastfeeding Ella, I'm starving her.

    Sunshine-Oh good. That makes me feel better.

    Princess-Well, like everyone is saying here, all babies grow at different rates, and there's nothing wrong with that. :)

    Ramona-Thanks. I think so too. :)

    Clare-Cool. Thanks for the link!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly