Vanilla Scones

As has already been established on this blog, I am a scone fan. Love them, love them, love them. I believe this is probably because in general, they are a very bland breakfast treat (although I eat them at all times of the day), and they satisfy my sweet tooth with minimal baking effort on my part. So deep is my love that I even own my very own scone pan.

I found this recipe for Vanilla and Ginger Scones on Baking Sheet. Nic is an amazing baker and puts all my efforts to shame. And her food photography, like Sher's, is amazing as well. And those Pumpkin Streusel Muffins Nic has up on her blog now? Are so coming home to mama's kitchen this weekend.

Anyway, I omitted the candied ginger from Nic's recipe, because I'm not really a fan. And while I used my uber expensive vanilla paste, which I bought from an Italian import shop in Chelsea Market in NYC last year, because I couldn't find it anywhere here, you can use vanilla extract and achieve the same results.

Vanilla Scones

Ingredients

2 cups flour
1 TBSP baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, chilled, and cut into 6-8 pieces
2 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla paste
1/2 to 2/3 cup milk
3-4 TBSP chopped candied ginger (I omitted)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.

2. Add the butter to the flur mixture, and rub it in with your fingers, making crumbs. Keep working the flour in until the butter seems distributed, with a few larger bits, but nothing bigger than a pea.

3. Stir in 1/2 cup of milk and the ginger (if you're using it). Add the remaining milk 1 TBSP at a time until the dough comes together in a ball, but is not too sticky.

4. Knead dough gently into a ball on a lightly floured surface, then press it out into a 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick disc. Cut the scones in the shape of your choice (triangular or circular), and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Or if you happen to be a scone geek like me, cut the scones into 8 equal trinages, and place in scone pan.

5. Bake for 14-15 minutes, or until scones are a light golden brown. Cool on a wire rack, or eat warm!

7 Responses to “Vanilla Scones”

  1. # Blogger Christine

    These sound delish. I was planning on making some cookies tonight, but with finals craziness it's looking like it will have to wait. Doh.

    And 18lbs seems HUGE for a 3 month old.  

  2. # Blogger Anne Marie

    These sound wonderful! Have you ever looked into the King Arthur Flour company catalog? I drool over their products all the time. They do have a vanilla paste - maybe see if you can use it: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/detail.jsp?id=1450  

  3. # Blogger Leslie

    You omitted candied ginger?? I looooove candied ginger in baked goods. MMMMMM!  

  4. # Blogger eat stuff

    Yum!
    They look soo soo good!  

  5. # Blogger M

    i love scones too. i get mine at target. hahaha
    I posted a video of maddy on my blog. I bet she'd be licking her chops at your scones too.  

  6. # Blogger Kristi

    Christine-Good luck on your finals. Make cookies as your reward once you're done.

    Anne Marie-I love the King Arthur catalog. I want everything in it! And I had no idea they had vanilla paste. Thanks for letting me know, and for visiting my blog.

    Sher-I find that hard to believe. Your food always looks amazing.

    L-You can have my share!

    Clare-Thanks!

    M-I like store-bought scones too. I have to say I'm partial to homemade, but in a pinch, I'll buy some as well.  

  7. # Blogger Ramona

    Yummm! That sounds mouth-wateringly good!
    I haven't forgotten the baking challenge/tag that you set up and as soon as I get myself organized enough in the kitchen, I will pass it on. Sorry it's taking so long, but it WILL happen!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly