Spare Me Your Designer Dog

The other day I paid a visit to a hardware store near my office to pick up a more secure plug for the storm drain pipe that flooded my basement on Saturday. While I waited for an employee to locate the plug in the back of the store, I walked over to a sweet-looking dog lounging on the floor near the register. Being the animal-lover I am, I started to pet the dog, and I asked the employee behind the cash register what kind of dog it was, because he looked very unusual. The dog was a Labradoodle. It looked like this dog, only it was black. The employee seemed excited to talk about the dog. She told me "He's the latest in designer dogs. A mix between a Labrador Retriever and a Standard Poodle. We bought him a year ago, so he's not quite grown."

Millions of dogs, both purebred and mixed-breed, are living in animal shelters and are put to death each year because there simply aren't enough homes for them. I know this may be an unpopular opinion, but I am completely against breeding dogs, and combining two specific breeds to create "designer dogs," and selling them for a profit, is in my opinion grossly irresponsible and inhumane. And apparently, breeding "designer dogs" is a growing phenomenon. I did a little online research and found that "Schnoodles" (schnauzer-poodle mix) and "Puggles" (pug-beagle mix) are also popular "designer dogs" and are being sold in pet stores, along with Labradoodles, for over $1,000.

My advice for anyone looking to add an animal to his or her family is to visit an animal shelter, where many sweet animals are looking for homes. You can often adopt a fully vaccinated animal from a shelter for under $100. And if you're interested in a specific breed, contact one of the many breed rescue groups in your area. And most importantly, spay or neuter your animal companions. (The Labradoodle in the hardware store had not been neutered.)

8 Responses to “Spare Me Your Designer Dog”

  1. # Blogger guppyman

    My current dog is from a shelter.... She has been one of the best dogs I've ever had. She's mostly yellow lab (who knows what else), is great with my daughter, and is basically part of the family!  

  2. # Blogger Farmgirl Susan

    Hi Kristi,
    Just linked over from the sweet comment you left on my blog. Woof! I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said about designers dogs, etc. (Though I have to admit that I still smile when I hear or read the word Labradoodle.)

    There is a tiny animal shelter near here where wonderful people work on a frayed shoestring budget to care for and keep alive well over 100 animals at a time. They refuse to euthanize. Although it's heartbreaking to see so many homeless creatures, I have never seen happier dogs or cats in a shelter. When someone I know has a baby, instead of sending a gift, I make a donation to the shelter in the baby's name. I then send a letter to the baby, telling them about the shelter and how the people there try to find homes as wonderful as the theirs for all the orphan animals. Everyone wins with this one! (I do it for other gift-giving occasions, too.)

    Anyway, yesterday I had another new dog loving (and similar minded) visitor to my blog, and I think you'd really enjoy her website: http://noisydogstudio.com.

    I sure like your blog and will definitely be back. And thanks so much for adding me to your links list.  

  3. # Blogger Geekwif

    I add my hearty "Amen". Our 5 cats are all strays that we took in except the first one which was from the Humane Society. They are affectionate and even seem to appreciate that we rescued them. I'd rather that than a "designer" pet any day.  

  4. # Blogger Ramona

    You know...that Labrpoodle was a really cute looking dog...but the fact that people talk of Designer Dogs kind of disgusts me. Whatever happended to just having a Heinz57? And loving an animal, because he was a part of your family?  

  5. # Blogger Ramona

    Ooops...I guess that is a Labradoodle...WHO thinks of these names?!?!?!?  

  6. # Blogger Kristi

    Guppyman-shelter dogs DO make the best pets. I wouldn't bring an animal into my home from anywhere else! Thanks for stopping by.

    Farmgirl-Wow-what a wonderful idea to donate to an animal shelter to celebrate an occasion. That's really incredible, and I love the idea of sending a letter to the baby about the shelter. I think I may try this idea myself. And thanks for the blog tip-I will definitely check her out.

    Geekwif-yup, me too. We have three cats: one was a pregnant stray, and the other two are two of her five kittens. We promptly spayed her as soon as it was safe to do so!

    Kross-Eyed Kitty-exactly! And the personalities of mixed-breed animals are often so much more loving than purebreds as well. And I agree-Labradoodle (and all those other names) are a riot!

    Amy-thanks for the compliment! Farmgirl's blog is amazing-in fact, I made her the subject of my posting today.  

  7. # Blogger eat stuff

    The only problem is, if people were responsible owners and got there animals desexed then there would be no need for people to get puppies at the shelter!  

  8. # Anonymous Anonymous

    The main reason they are so popular is because poodles are hypo-allergenic. So when you mix them with another dog you don't have to worry about shedding or your allergies. But I do agree with rescuing from shelters too. But if you have allergies then you can't have one of them. Or at least have one inside.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly