Addicted to Food TV

I was reading about idiosyncracies on MissMeliss's blog yesterday (http://www.missmeliss.com/archives/438) and it started me thinking about some of my own. I came up with several (actually, more than several), but I think one of the strangest is my addiction to the Food Network. I love this channel, and I love watching the chefs on this channel cook.

There is something so satisfying about watching the preparation of food. I grew up watching my great aunt and grandma cook huge Italian meals for our family, and watching "Everyday Italian" on the Food Network brings back those childhood memories. And although I'm a yankee and grew up (and still live) in the northeast, I love watching Paula Deen on "Paula's Home Cooking" whip up fanstastic butter- and cream cheese-laden desserts with her southern-fried charm. So, what's so idiosyncratic about this, you ask? I don't cook. At all. Ever.

Well, that's not exactly true. I love to bake. Does that count? How well I actually bake is up for debate, but I do enjoy doing it. I started baking about seven years ago, and let's just say it was a rocky beginning. I bake cakes, pies, and other desserts for family gatherings. One of my charming younger cousins dubbed my earlier and not-so-successful creations "Crap by Kristi" and the name has stuck. My baking has improved, I think, but my creations for family parties, etc., are still greeted with that name.

But I do not cook. You'd think all the culinary inspiration and cooking talent I was surrounded with growing up would have rubbed off on me. It hasn't. Granted, I am an extremely picky eater, and enjoy a grand total of about 10 different foods. But I often bake desserts that I don't eat (such as ones that contain chocolate), so whether or not I'll actually eat it doesn't factor in my cooking endeavors. I just feel that whenever I have tried to cook anything more complicated than toast, I'm met with failure. So my husband and I subsist on leftovers from weekly Sunday dinners at my great aunt's house and things that can be heated up in the most fantastic appliance ever created-the microwave. My husband grills, so in the warmer months we'll enjoy chicken, steak, sausage, etc. for dinner, and we have a mini George Forman grill, which we use for grilling in the winter. But beyond that, nothing home-cooked appears on our dinner table.

So what is my love for the Food Network based on? And what about my love for food-related blogs? http://www.beautyjoyfood.com/ is one of my favorites. Amy's pictures, posts, and delicious-sounding recipes make me hungry, even though with my pickiness, I likely wouldn't eat many of her creations. Does it represent all that I wish I were? Is it a sign that I should try and cook a real meal for dinner one night, rather than simply taking the aluminum foil off a care package from my dear great aunt? I wonder.

3 Responses to “Addicted to Food TV”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I love cooking, but I am utterly incapable of "simple" things, like burgers.

    And if you like food blogs, check out http://cucinatestarossa.blogs.com/weblog/

    Her stuff is amazing.  

  2. # Blogger Kristi

    Caryl: I eat cereal for dinner all the time! I'm glad I'm not the only one. And Jaime Oliver-yum! Is he even on Food Network anymore? I haven't seen any of his shows lately. And I love all those shows on HGTV too.

    Mixed: Can your BF come over and cook for me and my husband? We'll pay him! I've often said that if I were rich, I would hire a personal chef. I love grilled cheese too, and baked mac and cheese is one of my favorites. Okay, now I'm hungry.

    Amy: You're welcome. Your site is beautiful-the design, the pictures, and your words. And no, no chocolate for me. Fresh bread, though-that I will eat by the loaf.

    MissMeliss: Thanks for the blog link. I will check it out!

    Practigal: You're right-baking is like play. And even if it's slightly off, you can still eat it. And any chocolate that finds its way into my house will be brought over to yours immediately!  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Hello Kristi,

    One of the sections in my article directory is recipes ... while looking for blogs on apple crisp recipes, I discovered Addicted to Food TV .

    Most people believe the best content on the internet is created by bloggers ... original content, experiences and opinions. Nothing to sell and no hidden agendas!

    As someone who appears to be interested in apple crisp recipes, I am sure you will find our recipes section to be interesting. I am continually searching for bloggers to submit articles and assist me to expand the directory to all our benefit. By contributing, you not only get the recognition of being an author, but also knowing your submission will be seen by many hundreds of internet surfers. The pride and satisfaction of seeing your article published in a prestige directory is hard to beat.

    Not all of us are born with the talent to write to high standards of literacy ... as a consequence, a lot of bloggers don't try to have their articles published.

    I like an informal style of writing that matches your personality and fits in with your article content. I welcome articles that are uniquely based on your personal knowledge, experiences and opinions. All I request is that your content does not contain vulgar language, incite hatred or generally offensive.

    Without any commitments ... please pop over and browse my blog articles directory for yourself.

    Kind Regards

    Emily  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly