Camping: Friend or Foe?


Today I am doing something that I've never done before. Ever. I'm going camping. And I'm extremely nervous about it.

Before you laugh yourself right off my blog, I must explain the reasons why it's taken me 29.5 years to do something most people have done at least a handful of times by this age. My parents never took me camping growing up. It just wasn't something we ever did. On the few vacations we did take, we stayed in hotels or motels.

And as an adult, I never had the urge to camp. Sure, I have friends who absolutely love it, enjoy it, and do it all the time. I'm going camping today with my best friend, who has camped as a child and several times as an adult, her boyfriend, a veteran camper, and my husband, who in his pre-me days used to camp all the time. They all love it. And that's great. For them. I don't share their urge.

You see, I like to be clean and comfortable, and I can't for the life of me understand why one would want to go out of their way to chuck these two things into the wind to sleep outside on the ground. In my mind, technology has evolved throughout the centuries to ensure that we don't have to do this, so that we have soft beds, indoor plumbing, and electrical or gas appliances to cook our food. I can't see why someone would want to turn back the clock and live for days on end as if these things didn't exist.

I am not an elitist snob (although at times I admit I may sound like one), but I like the creature comforts of home, and when I travel, I like the safety and convenience of hotels. I keep reading stories like this, and I think I've worked myself up into a frenzy as a result, and we're not even camping in the middle of nowhere (we're camping in a state park for the weekend).

And I need my sleep. If I do not sleep well (and even sometimes when I do) I am an absolute bear in the morning (no pun intended). Somehow I don't think camping is conducive to a good night's sleep for me, an extremely light sleeper as it is.

The realist in me knows my fears and apprehension are silly, and I'm rational enough to know that more than likely I'll at least have a tolerable time, but I'm nervous all the same. My friends and husband whom I'm camping with assure me that I will not die. I'm not so sure.

Do you enjoy camping? What's the allure of sleeping in the great outdoors for you? Perhaps I'm just missing something here.

5 Responses to “Camping: Friend or Foe?”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Hi Kristi. Michele sent me!

    Oh camping! I am NOT a camper and I think that in order to camp comfortably, there needs to at least be a door, a tiolet, a shower and a floor in my immediate vicinity. Established campgrounds with hookups and a camper trailer are the bare minimum. As you can guess, I don't camp often, either.

    Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging! I will be back. Please visit me at my blog.. Mine's about a month old now and I'm loving it.... I also write for a living (client letters) but love to write for the joy of writing (thus the blog).

    Oh, and for fun, check out geekwif.blogspot.com. She is my best friend and has the same template as you. I think you'll enjoy her site as well.

    Have a happy Friday!  

  2. # Blogger Ramona

    Kristi, Thanks for your comment on my blog!
    I really think that you will like camping, I really enjoy it, albeit, we have a trailer and can sleep indoor, and have a toilet!
    There is nothing like a campfire, and stars, and fresh air. Keep your mind open and have a WONDERFUL weekend!
    Ramona  

  3. # Blogger Geekwif

    I admit, I'm like you in that I like to be clean and comfortable, but I do love to camp occasionally. I love waking up to the crisp, clean morning air and the smell of trees and earth. I love hiking and discovering beauty that you can't find in a car. I love cooking over a woodfire - as long as someone else starts the fire.

    If I can take a shower and brush my teeth in the morning, then I'm alright - and washing in a lake or stream doesn't count. I need a fully equipped restroom nearby including working sinks, toilets, showers and preferably electricity.

    My husband would love to camp in the depths of the wilderness where you have to carry everything in a pack, tie your food in a tree and not wash for a week. NOT my idea of fun.

    Only two posts and I am already really enjoying your blog! I can't wait to read about how your camping trip went!  

  4. # Blogger kenju

    I do not enjoy camping in the least! My fmaily says that my idea of camping is a hotel without 24 hr. room service!

    I do like to be in the wilds during the daytime; hikes and boating and such, but as evening falls, I want a restaurant and quiet room and a bed, with lights and a good book!  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Hi, I was out blogging and found your site. It certainly got my attention and interest. I was looking for Tents information and even though this isn't a perfect match I enjoyed your site. Thanks for the read!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly